• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
@IVX Usually importeurs do a lot more than just receiving 30%. If you sold 1,000 units into EU it would be better in terms of climate change to send them at once to the distributer in EU than 1000x each unit to it's customer.
And I sill opened for work with them. As I said, I only like to understand their role clearly.
PS: I've got an agreement with Linsoul already and they quite realistic to me, didn't ask +30%, instantly called the quantity they need etc. Even said: so far we don't need to be profitable with your products, need to make it popular first ;)

Zoide

Could you please tell me, how do you gonna use #9038S? I cant' catch the idea to use #9038S 3.5VRMS output as input for a further headphone amplifier. Do you need more power for your headphone? You know, my HFM HE400i in the bottom end for sensitivity even for planars, and I have 120db SPL with 340mW, it is loud! f you want to use #9038S as a DAC before the power amp, I mean speakers amp purpose, it is ok, you only need to tie GND wire to the USB-C connector anyhow(crocodile-clamp?).

Another reason to connect the #9038S to an amplifier would be for use with STAX earspeakers. In that case you *need* to add a STAX amplifier to the audio chain.

What would you recommend for STAX listeners with either balanced or unbalanced STAX amps?

Thanks

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I said, I only like to understand their role clearly.

You are so obviously competent, modest and honest so this is a bit painful to read. They have so many roles and functions that they would be too long to list. Glad you have an agreement, hope you have more soon. If you want to build a brand, my only advice would be to find a local friend you can trust with some business experience. You will not necessarily understand him fully, just as he won't understand your designs. But you obviously do need that if you want to take advantage of your current "15 minutes of fame" to build something longer lasting. ;)

Fulfillment by Amazon, as Amir pointed out, is a decent alternative, especially if you want to capitalize on the moment to build the future.

Ah, and keep in mind it is a moment - don't accumulate inventory based on today's interest level. That's probably the hardest part to get right in the current market context - will this crash when the next $40 well-measuring hot item shows up next month (maybe just a clone of what you did) ? will this sustain interest for a year? Those review peaks are very very hard to model in terms of inventory management...

Best of luck. From what we have seen here, you really look like a wonderful person who deserves to succeed.

ripvw

Forum Donor
Amir, I did not see a linearity test - did I miss something?

Would love to use this with my Apple iPhone 8+ instead of their dongle - do I need the Lightning/USB Camera Adapter or the Lightning/USB-C Camera Adapter? I assume I would also need a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm unbalanced adapter or wait for the unbalanced version. Will the iPhone power the 9038S on its own or do I need external power? The earphones are the Etymotic ER4SR.

in any case thanks for all the hard work on a very nice design...

adamd

Is there any particular reason why the multi tone test is not shown?

sajunky

Your main page is fine https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/
but this goes nowhere: https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/

It turned me away yesterday. All you need is a small redirect, otherwise it looks like this:

Wix.com.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That also means that even when one would use the L+ and R+ and use the ground lug of the USB connector as reference there would always be +2.5V DC on it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Most amplifiers yes, but definitely not all amplifier inputs !
Just mentioning this for those still wanting to connect the devive to RCA inputs using the shield on Micro-USB as ground 'trick'.
Switching between inputs of a preamp for instance could give a very loud 'thump' when there is DC present in such a case.
Again, this should not be done but am certain it won't deter some that are still going to try.
My remark was just to be thorough.

For balanced operration this does not matter at all nor for headphones.

Fone

Great execution @IVX . Wishing you all the success in the world and I will line up for this when launched.

As you probably know there are a couple of massive headphone festivals in Tokyo (particularly Fujya-Avic but I think e-earphone also runs them). All the major (and hundreds of botique) headphone, headphone amp and DAC makers are there, even McInsotsh. Most visitors are Japanese so translator required.

The crowds are staggering but I think not much is sold. However, they might be a good place for networking.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, this should not be done but am certain it won't deter some that are still going to try.

This product and its fit into the matrix of the headphone listener universe is interesting to me, even though I am strictly a loudspeaker guy, and I do not use headphones. I admire truly excellent engineering and design, plus the story of an obscure Russian engineer working on his own in China - and outperforming all of the bigger audio electronics companies is fascinating.

I am beginning to see where the confusion comes in when manufacturers of the best audiophile desktop headphone DAC/Amps say things like this (Info is from the Benchmark website, but I did not read the referenced technical paper.):

Audio Myth - Balanced Headphone Amplifiers are Better
September 15, 2016

This Myth Goes Something Like This:
"Balanced headphone amplifiers are better."
"If balanced line-level connections work well, balanced headphone outputs should also work well."

We disagree!

Benchmark does not offer voltage-balanced headphone outputs on any of its products. The reason for this is that a voltage-balanced interface serves no useful purpose when driving headphones. The truth is that a conventional single-ended headphone drive is technically superior to a balanced drive. This paper explains why single-ended headphone amplifiers are inherently more transparent than balanced headphone amplifiers.

But the above is about pro-level expensive desktop gear, and when USB stick-size units are the topic, there are additional limiting parameters. (I am assuming that the E1DA would be most used by laptop owners when not at home or work with their desktop audio systems, which might include components like bigger, more expensive desktop DAC/HAmp.)

Trying to extract maximum performance from a tiny flash-drive size USB DAC/Amp using only the USB low-current 5v power supply would seem to present another difficult set of challenges - and it appears that lacking the HUGE advantage of mains power, IVX has done a tremendous job of working within the limits of the USB stick form factor and power availability.

Now here is a question for you headphone experts - should a budget-minded headphone seriously consider at least two sets of headphones including a single-ended type for home/office desktop use, and a balanced set to maximize performance when out and about using a laptop and a USN stick DAC/Amp?

Top Bottom