• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Willem

Major Contributor
Those were measurements from the browser tab rather than using the app. In that case it is sent from the browser rather than from the router. In short it is a possible but inferior way to use the CCA.

tades

What about Amir's own tests that clearly show the Analogue out of CCA is noticeably sub par to the optical with the right API?
Sometimes people forgets our senses are accurate sensors. Making a direct comparison between the Analogue and Optical outputs is a clear evidence... no need to do ABX tests.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

tades

If you don't trust them, don't hear at music. They are the most incredibles tools at your disposal

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't trust them, don't hear at music. They are the most incredibles tools at your disposal

If you say so. Would you say the same about your eyes?

tades

I have been attending 50 concerts per year in the last 40 years and working with an audio designer in the last 30 ones, so I believe I know what the sound of a cello can be : volume, space around, wood , string.
I also know that I can recognise in a picture when the definition has been increase by a software.
So yes definitly you should trust much more your senses your senses

tades

Uh uh, that's what I suspected. I hope you have noticed the word "Science" in the forum name? Science is based on facts and verified evidence. Not feelings, subjective perceptions or beliefs.

Hey Julf
Is this the way this forum « welcomes » new visitors ?
Even, in France Bizutage is forbidden since years !
I have 3 ways to answerwhat I feelisavery agressive assessment
1/ Humor :
Maybe Julf misunderstood the scientifist statement « Doubt is scientific », and believes it applies to Forum mates.(eg with Echochamber writing on Tuesday « One can accuse me of sufferingfrom placebo, and that’sone’s right to free speech, but itdoesn’tmeanitistrue. » youanswer « Indeed. It is up to you to prove it is not true. »
2/ Try to be at the same level of agressivity (very difficult I confess):
« Hum Hum, this doesn’t surprise me from a Nederland or South Africa citizen »
3/ Professoral :
Should I remind Julf the first step in science is to proceed to experiences and tests ?
Because you even didn’t thought one second to make the test by your self…
Finally I can also send you back to the original message, where I stated that the source of this improvement is in the low Dynamic impedance, statement that Professor Julf apparently didn’t even try to understand.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
« Hum Hum, this doesn’t surprise me from a Nederland or South Africa citizen

Nice stereotyping / racism, but I am neither.

Should I remind Julf the first step in science is to proceed to experiences and tests ?

Should I remind you that the next step is to verify the experiences?

Finally I can also send you back to the original message, where I stated that the source of this improvement is in the low Dynamic impedance, statement that Professor Julf apparently didn’t even try to understand.

I asked you to explain / justify that nonsense statement. You never did.

tades

Uh uh, that's what I suspected. I hope you have noticed the word "Science" in the forum name? Science is based on facts and verified evidence. Not feelings, subjective perceptions or beliefs.

For curious/openminded readers, I may enter in more details :
Should I remind Digital is another form of electronics,
and a bitflow has no existence by it self but can be represented (for instance in DSD) as a squarewave signal.
But as everyone knows, in electronic the higher the impedance the slowier the ramp-up and ramp down
This result, in the fact that the electronic gates converting in optical signal in the case of the CCA will work on a distorted signal, generating a lot of reading’s mis-interpretation. And transmit to the DAC a data flow with lot of mistakes.
For sure, the DAC may correct this, with error codes correction (if emitted by CCA) . But this is mathematics and no more music.
Unfortunatly as this is realtime music flow these corrections are just calculated, not based on the « anticipated » (although already available in the record) signal..
When I see the € we spend on good DAC, I invite you to make the test by your self both on CCA aswell as on you DAC if it allows.
Personnaly I use the 5V 4Amps on the CCA (and advise a 5V 10 A up to 24V 6A on your DAC if this allow external PSU)
I should precise I have no interest in Leicke I give as an exemple of good and basic design. I’m sure many others does exists. :
4A : https://www.amazon.fr/dalimentation...6&sr=1-1-fdbae751-0fa5-4c0f-900b-865654896618
10A :https://www.amazon.fr/LEICKE-Adapta...3&sr=1-2-fdbae751-0fa5-4c0f-900b-865654896618
I should also mention I tried audiophile design (such as Ifi ones) with muchless satisfaction.
I’ve seen some of you getting rids of them, demonstrating I’m not alone
That sentence doesn't make sense. :)
Nice stereotyping / racism, but I am neither.

Should I remind you that the next step is to verify the experiences?

I asked you to explain / justify that nonsense statement. You never did.

tades

For curious/openminded readers, I may enter in more details :
Should I remind Digital is another form of electronics,
and a bitflow has no existence by it self but can be represented (for instance in DSD) as a squarewave signal.
But as everyone knows, in electronic the higher the impedance the slowier the ramp-up and ramp down
This result, in the fact that the electronic gates converting in optical signal in the case of the CCA will work on a distorted signal, generating a lot of reading’s mis-interpretation. And transmit to the DAC a data flow with lot of mistakes.
For sure, the DAC may correct this, with error codes correction (if emitted by CCA) . But this is mathematics and no more music.
Unfortunatly as this is realtime music flow these corrections are just calculated, not based on the « anticipated » (although already available in the record) signal..
When I see the € we spend on good DAC, I invite you to make the test by your self both on CCA aswell as on you DAC if it allows.
Personnaly I use the 5V 4Amps on the CCA (and advise a 5V 10 A up to 24V 6A on your DAC if this allow external PSU)
I should precise I have no interest in Leicke I give as an exemple of good and basic design. I’m sure many others does exists. :
4A : https://www.amazon.fr/dalimentation...6&sr=1-1-fdbae751-0fa5-4c0f-900b-865654896618
10A :https://www.amazon.fr/LEICKE-Adapta...3&sr=1-2-fdbae751-0fa5-4c0f-900b-865654896618
I should also mention I tried audiophile design (such as Ifi ones) with muchless satisfaction.

Willem

Major Contributor
Dear Tades. Science is indeed about doubt as well as facts. If you suspect these differences exist that is fine, but it would help if you can provide a theoretical explanation for why they might. The next step is to test that hypothesis to see if they exist. Either by measurements that relate to known levels of audibility or by listening tests under controlled conditions ( i.e. double blind, level matched, near instantaneous switch over).

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hum Hum, this doesn’t surprise me from a Nederland or South Africa citizen
This kind of insidious prejudice is most unwelcome.

Having read through your contributions and considering the above I'd suggest this is not the forum for you .

Cheers .

Willem

Major Contributor
May I take offense? Unlike Julf I am Dutch. And unlike you I have no intention to engage in such stereotyping. And yes, I like France, I greatly enjoyed giving lectures at the College de France, and I was planning a bicycle tour there at this very moment.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

There are definitely a lot of people who hear differences. People hear differences from lots of things. The question really is whether what they hear can be reproduced when there are controls on the testing.

For me. I have had CCA's hooked up to everything you can think of, including a lab power supply (it was handy out in the garage), and haven't ever heard a shred or hint of anything that would make me believe one was different than the other.

What now? My results disagree with yours. Does that mean I am wrong? My system(s) aren't revealing enough? Your decades of whatever give you the advantage?

Just because one has been listening for a long time doesn't mean you are immune to many overlapping and complicated biases that would need to be accounted for. Doesn't help with all the misinformation out there to encourage people to buy what they don't need.

As @Willem said, it's unlikely you could tell the difference between the CCA analog out and most any other DAC under most any non-pathological conditions.

tades

Dear Tades. Science is indeed about doubt as well as facts. If you suspect these differences exist that is fine, but it would help if you can provide a theoretical explanation for why they might. The next step is to test that hypothesis to see if they exist. Either by measurements that relate to known levels of audibility or by listening tests under controlled conditions ( i.e. double blind, level matched, near instantaneous switch over).
I let you refer to the memo I sent one minute before your's
Open to contradiction if not personal attack

tades

May I take offense? Unlike Julf I am Dutch. And unlike you I have no intention to engage in such stereotyping. And yes, I like France, I greatly enjoyed giving lectures at the College de France, and I was planning a bicycle tour there at this very moment.
As you may have seen this is in the sarcastic part to try to imitate (not possible I've to admit) Julf agressivity

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For curious/openminded readers

"Keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out".

a bitflow has no existence by it self but can be represented (for instance in DSD) as a squarewave signal.

No, it is not represented as a square wave signal even in DSD. Remember a pure square wave is a purely theoretical construct, it doesn't actually exist ion the real world.

As most "everyone knows" statements, that one is false.

I think you misunderstand digital communications.

Interesting random rambling, but mathematics is an intellectual tool that applies very well (if you understand it) to both music and audio (two different things).

How about actually answering my questions and providing some real rationale and evidence?

By the way, are you using Google Translate?

tades

There are definitely a lot of people who hear differences. People hear differences from lots of things. The question really is whether what they hear can be reproduced when there are controls on the testing.

For me. I have had CCA's hooked up to everything you can think of, including a lab power supply (it was handy out in the garage), and haven't ever heard a shred or hint of anything that would make me believe one was different than the other.

What now? My results disagree with yours. Does that mean I am wrong? My system(s) aren't revealing enough? Your decades of whatever give you the advantage?

Just because one has been listening for a long time doesn't mean you are immune to many overlapping and complicated biases that would need to be accounted for. Doesn't help with all the misinformation out there to encourage people to buy what they don't need.

As @Willem said, it's unlikely you could tell the difference between the CCA analog out and most any other DAC under most any non-pathological conditions.

Dear BDWoody,
You are making tests, this means (for me) you are curious. I'm sure we can progress together.
I just felt offensed by Julf agressivity that doesn't bring anything in the debate.
Even at a 15€ cost he doesn't want to experiment. His problem. I'll not comment.

If you don't hear the difference, it might be because your system have more important problems elsewhere, or you just don't need it, or you found something more essential...

Top Bottom