• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just felt offensed by Julf agressivity that doesn't bring anything in the debate.

It is funny how some people get offended by facts and requests for evidence.

If you don't hear the difference, it might be because your system have more important problems elsewhere

A.K.A. "your system is not resolving enough" :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Dear BDWoody,
You are making tests, this means (for me) you are curious. I'm sure we can progress together.
I just felt offensed by Julf agressivity that doesn't bring anything in the debate.
Even at a 15€ cost he doesn't want to experiment. His problem. I'll not comment.

If you don't hear the difference, it might be because your system have more important problems elsewhere, or you just don't need it, or you found something more essential...

I am still curious about the physics behind the changes in sound you describe. Are you saying that some things are beyond physics and measurements, so even if physics tells us there should be no difference (Real physics I mean...not audiophile mumbo jumbo masquerading as anything more than the advertising copy it is.

Or maybe it isn't there. For either of us.

Maybe it's your turn to control your experiment a bit and do more than insist it's there with something far less fallible than an uncontrolled listening impression. Those are easy to come by. People hearing the same claims when they aren't peeking? Not so many. None in fact so far.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear BDWoody,
You are making tests, this means (for me) you are curious. I'm sure we can progress together.
Even at a 15€ cost he doesn't want to experiment. His problem. I'll not comment.

If you don't hear the difference, it might be because your system have more important problems elsewhere, or you just don't need it, or you found something more essential...

Just so I am clear about all this- your main point is supplying a CCA with a higher powered charger will improve the output? Analog or digital ? forgive me , I have tried to catch up , but it gets a bit messy.

tades

Just so I am clear about all this- your main point is supplying a CCA with a higher powered charger will improve the output? Analog or digital ? forgive me , I have tried to catch up , but it gets a bit messy.

Both but Digital (sorry) is much better than analog

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Reminds of when my father would ask me if it's warmer in the Summer than it is in the country...

I have no idea what that means.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok- so I have many many USB chargers lying around with a large range of V/A. My latest phone does 30W I believe! . What is the best rating you have found?

tades

Ok- so I have many many USB chargers lying around with a large range of V/A. My latest phone does 30W I believe! . What is the best rating you have found?
You may try the 30VA (provided it's not a "switching supply" (alim à découpage) but a old fashion one with a transformer:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may try the 30VA (provided it's not a "switching supply" (alim à découpage) but a old fashion one with a transformer:

You'd be hard pressed to find a non-switching phone charger, but anyway, switch-mode power supplies are probably better for digital circuits anyway.

tades

"Keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out".

No, it is not represented as a square wave signal even in DSD. Remember a pure square wave is a purely theoretical construct, it doesn't actually exist ion the real world.

Name it as you want,
1594968358407.png

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You seem to have gotten your quoting wrong somehow, but your picture makes my point. It is a picture of a fictional, idealized wave. It is not a real, existing electrical waveform. I do assume you know that an ideal square wave required infinite bandwidth?

Willem

Major Contributor
Enough. I want measurements, an explanation from accepted scientific theory or results from controlled listening tests.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And thus, people will forever be afraid to share their experiences on this forum coz they aren't well versed in Electronics to explain their observations to Engineers. A DBT is next to impossible to perform for an average Joe anyways, but that's what, beyond the shadow of a doubt confirms whether something is placebo or not. And even if someone pulls off a proper DBT as accepted by the more experienced, more demanding people here...who is to say if they will accept me be or any one else's DBT outcome. It's futile!

Music is an experience! And experiences differ from person to person. Unless we move beyond the 'I reject your experience as it's not possible within the realms of reality' - even if it is indeed true that it can't! There is no constructive discussion possible on ASR - there is a word for this environment you know: Intolerance and it is by choice in most cases.

Hoping ASR stays true to it's purpose ie 'critic to help' rather than the other way around. I know I have been helped on multiple occasions despite my seemingly ignorant connotations about music and audio theory.

No offence intended!

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Music is an experience! And experiences differ from person to person.

In that case, all you can say is "I like this" or "I don't like this". Which is fine. It is when people start making claims beyond that that we get into trouble.

There is no constructive discussion possible on ASR

Quite the opposite - there is ample fact-based discussion possible here, without constantly being derailed by unsubstantiated, meaningless claims based on personal belief and/or perception.

there is a word for this environment you know: Intolerance and it is by choice in most cases.

There is a word for this environment. Science.

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In that case, all you can say is "I like this" or "I don't like this". Which is fine. It is when people start making claims beyond that that we get into trouble.

Quite the opposite - there is ample fact-based discussion possible here, without constantly being derailed by unsubstantiated, meaningless claims based on personal belief and/or perception.

There is a word for this environment. Science.
I agree. However, in most cases people share their experiences...not what they believe to be true! People come here to find answers to what they are experiencing...in most cases if it is backed by science. Doesn't mean anyone should be picked on...at least not on a personal level. Let's be civil. The kingdom of "science" is not at threat...what it is becoming is intolerant. If one doesn't find a post to be fact based or scientific enough...no need to gang up on them...just find another post to add value and let people breath. Everyone will find the light sooner or later. Again, no offence to the brilliant minds here on ASR.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. However, in most cases people share their experiences...not what they believe to be true! People come here to find answers to what they are experiencing...in most cases if it is backed by science. Doesn't mean anyone should be picked on...at least not on a personal level. Let's be civil. The kingdom of "science" is not at threat...what it is becoming is intolerant. If one doesn't find a post to be fact based or scientific enough...no need to gang up on them...just find another post to add value and let people breath. Everyone will find the light sooner or later. Again, no offence to the brilliant minds here on ASR.

A lot of people experience what they believe - it is called "expectation bias". One of the most significant factors in audio. The kingdom of science (no quotation marks) is actually seriously threatened all over the world by the anti-science, "I know what I know / I know what I hear" crowd.

blodsbror

I’ve just read that using Chromecast audio as a Spotify connect endpoint, is now possible from any MAC or Windows Spotify desktop client (after many years). Would this use case also be “bit perfect”?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve just read that using Chromecast audio as a Spotify connect endpoint, is now possible from any MAC or Windows Spotify desktop client (after many years). Would this use case also be “bit perfect”?

What does "bit perfect" mean when the source uses a lossy perceptual codec. Anyway, as soon as you reduce volume to below 100% you are not bit perfect - with any system.

blodsbror

What does "bit perfect" mean when the source uses a lossy perceptual codec. Anyway, as soon as you reduce volume to below 100% you are not bit perfect - with any system.

I mean, that the signal (lossy or not) is not further deteriorated between the source client and the destination (optical output). In other words, if I take source song (File A) and play it through both Roon and the Spotify client, will some mechanism (it’s protocol?) make Spotify’s worse.

Top Bottom