• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please focus on the digital outputs
I will focus on whatever the heck I want to. :p

Meaning: pretty much every aspects of a product, if you aren't familiar with my reviews. ;)

This device is mainly used as a streamer with a good quality DAC in my opinion
Seems like you missed the all point of the Node X. Assuming Bluesound claims are correct, your opinion could be very wrong : New dual ES9028Q2M implementation, with 110dB SINAD / 118dB SNR announced.

There would be no reason for the Streamer input to perform differently than the digital inputs. Otherwise, the device would be broken in design.

That, I will verify.

Last edited:

Kelims

Zaměřím se na to, co sakra chci.:p

Význam: téměř všechny aspekty produktu, pokud nejste obeznámeni s mými recenzemi.;)

Zdá se, že jste přehlédli celý bod Node X. Za předpokladu, že tvrzení Bluesoundu jsou správná, váš názor může být velmi mylný: Nová duální implementace ES9028Q2M s oznámeným 110dB SINAD / 118dB SNR.

Nebyl by důvod, aby vstup Streamer fungoval jinak než digitální vstupy. Jinak by se zařízení designově rozbilo.

To si ověřím.

I will focus on whatever the heck I want to. :p

Meaning: pretty much every aspects of a product, if you aren't familiar with my reviews. ;)

Seems like you missed the all point of the Node X. Assuming Bluesound claims are correct, your opinion could be very wrong : New dual ES9028Q2M implementation, with 110dB SINAD / 118dB SNR announced.

There would be no reason for the Streamer input to perform differently than the digital inputs. Otherwise, the device would be broken in design.

That, I will verify.
Of course, focus on what you want is your hobby.... I personally would appreciate a focus on HDMI eARC and S/PDIF coax output. Combined with the Hypex Fa it would be an awesome combination if all is well.

Kelims

Here is the performance of Bluesound Node 2i feeding a Topping D30 DAC via coax S/PDIF:

View attachment 21546

As you see performance is much improved.

Those of you wanting the Topping D30 coax SINAD, you have that one there. :)
Then there is no problem to use it only as a streamer without losing the quality of the digital output to an external DAC. Would it be possible to compare it with, for example, Allo DigiOne S/PDIF?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then there is no problem to use it only as a streamer without losing the quality of the digital output to an external DAC.
This graph is 4 years old. It is somewhat "obsolete" by today's standards. In that case, SINAD measurements have to be made either in the digital domain or through a top-performing DAC.

Anyway, if the digital output of whatever the Node 2i, Node 2021 or Node X is not audibly transparent, then it is broken in design.

We don't need to measure it with x or y product. If you get 130dB / 140dB SINAD out of any S/PDIF, then it will be good enough for any DAC on Earth.

Kelims

This graph is 4 years old. It is somewhat "obsolete" by today's standards. In that case, SINAD measurements have to be made either in the digital domain or through a top-performing DAC.

Anyway, if the digital output of whatever the Node 2i, Node 2021 or Node X is not audibly transparent, then it is broken in design.

We don't need to measure it with x or y product. If you get 130dB / 140dB SINAD out of any S/PDIF, then it will be good enough for any DAC on Earth.
I look forward to your review of node x and hope to hear the answer.

AdamK

Soundstage conducted and released a set of fairly comprehensive measurements
Anyone care to translate? For example, how does it compare to the Cambridge CXN v2? I have a couple older Nodes and would love something for my bedroom setup that doesn't require an external DAC

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone care to translate? For example, how does it compare to the Cambridge CXN v2? I have a couple older Nodes and would love something for my bedroom setup that doesn't require an external DAC
Leaving aside the user experience / interface side of things the CXN whoops the analog output of this - @VintageFlanker measured the CXN on here- its a good streaming DAC. The Node is average at best.

But the CXN is huge and frankly, for bedroom casual listening any performance shortfalls of the Node become somewhat academic.

BUT , personally, I would get a Wiim Pro plus- small and fully functional for far less. The Plus part is important as the DAC in that is competitive. The Pro (non plus) isnt a top flight DAC implementation- for around $70 difference YMMV.

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
Leaving aside the user experience / interface side of things the CXN whoops the analog output of this - @VintageFlanker measured the CXN on here- its a good streaming DAC. The Node is average at best.

But the CXN is huge and frankly, for bedroom casual listening any performance shortfalls of the Node become somewhat academic.

BUT , personally, I would get a Wiim Pro plus- small and fully functional for far less. The Plus part is important as the DAC in that is competitive. The Pro (non plus) isnt a top flight DAC implementation- for around $70 difference YMMV.

The DAC portion of the Nodes tend to do poorly in the measurements done here - there is no getting around that. That is the downside. Since you already have some Nodes, if you like BluOS and find it useful, it is hard to beat it for convenience. As Jimbob54 says, the degree to which you would notice the differences is really the question. It might be a situation where the room is not ideal, anyway, so it won't matter much.

But I really wish NAD/Bluesound would get their act together on DACs, because their amps are pretty good, and I do like the BluOS system.

AdamK

Thank you both for the replies.

Context: I am a longtime Roon user. I use old Nodes for outdoors, and a couple Pulse minis in bathrooms. In the living room, I use a Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1. The bedroom and my office will share an old Marantz 8801, which I'm (sentimentally) resisting replacing completely, so figured I'll try a separate streamer and DAC

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
Thank you both for the replies.

Context: I am a longtime Roon user. I use old Nodes for outdoors, and a couple Pulse minis in bathrooms. In the living room, I use a Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1. The bedroom and my office will share an old Marantz 8801, which I'm (sentimentally) resisting replacing completely, so figured I'll try a separate streamer and DAC
If you want a Node whose DAC will probably have very good measurement results, buy a Node X. But you will certainly not hear any difference to the other Nodes (or other DACs discussed here with excellent measurement results) neither in your bathroom, nor living room or outside. All differences are pure measurement differences, all below the hearing threshold.

Top Bottom