• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

TK33

And does it share the sound with other rooms then ?
I have never tried but I think it should work if you group the rooms. Also, Bluesound just released the Hub which would also let you do this.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I have never tried but I think it should work if you group the rooms. Also, Bluesound just released the Hub which would also let you do this.

This HUB seems to be an interesting streamer for those of us who has speakers with digital input.
We already have the yamaha wxc50 with variable digital output, but the sound quality is not sota. I use this unit for television and movies and except for highend sound its a really good unit. A computer and a good DDC is slightly better with music.

If this HUB has a good, digital volume control that doesnt lower the soundquality then it seems to be interesting for us with Genelec SAM monitors.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If this HUB has a good, digital volume control that doesnt lower the soundquality then it seems to be interesting for us with Genelec SAM monitors.
Why wouldn't those with Genelec SAM monitors use GLM to do the volume control?

Tangband

Major Contributor
That seems a bit odd. How did you determine this?
Listening comparisons . There are sometimes real sound differences between different units.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Why wouldn't those with Genelec SAM monitors use GLM to do the volume control?
Because there is no need to use GLM after saving calibration and internal gainsetting , you can put the GLM box and all the cables away .

Kelims

Hello, I would like to use this device only as a streamer. Unfortunately the measurements I found here are not quite good.... Could it be a bad cable or a faulty instrument? I want to connect using S/PDIF with my Hypex fa 253. Does anyone have a tip for another streamer with better result?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I would like to use this device only as a streamer. Unfortunately the measurements I found here are not quite good.... Could it be a bad cable or a faulty instrument? I want to connect using S/PDIF with my Hypex fa 253. Does anyone have a tip for another streamer with better result?
Measurements are bad for TOSLINK and SPDIF INPUTS.
DAC is not much better.

But SPDIF output should be all good.

So for your use case, that should be no problem.

nstzya

Agreed. As a streamer, it works quite well and BluOS is a nice user interface. I use mine to Tidal Connect direct digital to DSP active speakers quite effectively.

That said, although not state of art performance in tests here, it might still be worth a listen to see if it is audible/objectionable to you. Without starting anything, and for what it‘s worth, it DOES perform quite well in subjective reviews elsewhere.

There is an updated recently released Node X special edition which I would like to see tested.

Last edited:

Kelims

Here is the performance of Bluesound Node 2i feeding a Topping D30 DAC via coax S/PDIF:

View attachment 21546

As you see performance is much improved.

Those of you wanting the Topping D30 coax SINAD, you have that one there. :)
Hello, so if only as a streamer and using the coaxial S/PDIF output no problem arises? How does it compare to the Allo DigiOne S/PDIF? The Node has better control but I don't know if it's a step backwards in terms of digital signal quality?

nstzya

No, not a step backwards as a streamer. Something I forgot to mention and very significant to my uses is the fact that it has a subwoofer output with basic bass management.

Norcal

Hello, so if only as a streamer and using the coaxial S/PDIF output no problem arises? How does it compare to the Allo DigiOne S/PDIF? The Node has better control but I don't know if it's a step backwards in terms of digital signal quality?
If you look back at post #10, Amir says the performance will be as good as any DAC you connect to it...

Mikycoud

I could have one for testing soon.
On its way friend, just got an update this morning, our batch will be delivered first thing next week. Don't really know why the extended delay though, although I have the strange feeling it could be that someone from bluesound got a call from someone from Atoll mentioning your name LOL!!!

Mikycoud

Please focus on the digital outputs. As a DAC alone it won't be anything special. This device is mainly used as a streamer with a good quality DAC in my opinion.
Well, maybe not anymore. It would be way more convenient for the targeted audience if the built-in Dac actually performed adequately. Current iteration is far from great, i'll give you that...

Top Bottom