• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Aune X1S DAC & Amp

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking between X8 and Dx3pro. Between ESS and AKM. 9038q2m vs AK4493.
Seems like you didn't listen what @Yuno just said: Chip doesn't matter.
Because of the implementation (as you said) i heard one review that ESS Sabre in X8 doesn't sound that sharp like in other devices with ESS.
Again, ESS sounding sharp is an audiophile belief. If you go by what you read in so many irrelevant review, it never ends. ;) Get a transparent DAC, whatever what's inside!

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The ess sharp is an issue for es9018 generation. The new 9038q2m sounds overly organic or similar to having some phase issue(not actually phase issue but sounds like). Akm 4490 4493 are more natural than 9018 and 9038q2m. They have a little coloration in the mid to bass but much more acceptable. 9038pro is very different from 9038q2m being accurate for the most part a little bit sharp, (nowhere near 9018), sounding having more detail than they should. 4499 is most clear sounding but not too bright.
Get dx3pro or maybe wait for e30 from topping.
PS: If you don't believe what I'm saying, just ignore me. You have nothing to lose.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ess sharp is an issue for es9018 generation. The new 9038q2m sounds overly organic or similar to having some phase issue(not actually phase issue but sounds like). Akm 4490 4493 are more natural than 9018 and 9038q2m. They have a little coloration in the mid to bass but much more acceptable. 9038pro is very different from 9038q2m being accurate for the most part a little bit sharp, (nowhere near 9018), sounding having more detail than they should. 4499 is most clear sounding but not too bright.
Come on @JohnYang1997, that is not April Fool yet! :p

Veri

Master Contributor
4499 is most clear sounding but not too bright.
PS: If you don't believe what I'm saying, just ignore me. You have nothing to lose.
You already have something with 4499, @JohnYang1997?
What's Topping e30?

Veri

Master Contributor
4499 is most clear sounding but not too bright.
Getting off-topic here but last question, do you think 4499 is better still than good 4493 implementation?
Since you recommend dx3/e30 :cool:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Getting off-topic here but last question, do you think 4499 is better still than good 4493 implementation?
Since you recommend dx3/e30 :cool:
I know it's not something to say in this forum. But yes. 4499 is better by about subjective 3%.

renoxd

Guys please! If some regulars at this forum doesn't know if this is a joke or not, how could i know :D
To be honest, after listening some clips over the internet, AKM also sounds to me more natural and with coloration (however it sound)

Veri

Master Contributor
It's a bit hard to believe that the Major Contributor you are, would claim such low improvements as "3% sounding better" only by ear...

If you look at RME ADI-2 new version and Topping D90, not by ear but objectively, the difference is just some % :)
The RME is an exceeding implementation of AK4493 though, few would reach its performance

I'm intrigued by the upcoming e30 in any case. Thanks for sharing @JohnYang1997

Fleuch

Difficult to understand the (Dutch) Aune web pages (https://www.auneaudio-europe.com/index.php/products/aune-x8-magical-dac-32-768k-dsd512-silver.html). No useful information on the X8 Magical DAC at all can be found.

Looking at the device snapshots, my understanding is that there are USB, Coax and optical inputs, a dc power jack with on/off switch (?), and RCA connectors for pre-amp and audio outputs.

A dealer in the UK (https://edenaudio.uk/shop/home/179-aune-x8-magic-dac.html) has the technical information needed, at least to compare with other device specifications.

Looking at the web pages again, apart from the RCA outputs, there is no connection for headphones, so a headphone amplifier is required. The dealer heads the techical specifications with "Aune X8 32Bit/768k ES9038 DSD512 Lossless HiFI Audiophile Headphone Amplifier" and makes the following suggestions:

X8 with FPGA tech + X7s = 32Bit/768k DSD512 audio system for headphones
X8 with FPGA tech + X5s 6th Anniversary Edition = audio source system
X5s 6th Anniversary Edition + X8 with FPGA tech + X5s 6th Anniversary Edition = multi-function system
Is it really proper to describe it as a "Lossless HiFI Audiophile Headphone Amplifier" when there is no headphone output anywhere on the device and another box is needed to connect a pair of cans ?

Just below the heading is: "The X8 is a DAC of the aune X series. It uses aune’s self-developed FPGA technology and supports music files up to PCM768/DSD512. The Op-amp is interchangeable and there are seven filter models to choose from. It’s a DAC purely focused on sound quality."

Further down the page there is "Self-developed FPGA Core. The X8 adopted the Self-developed FPGA as the processing core of digital signal, which makes DSD128 via coaxial possible. And the digital signals are also cleaner."

Presumably this refers to to digital signals from USB / Coax / Optical inputs, where the "home grown" FPGA replaces the XMOS XU208 chip, or similar. By the way is there anything particularly special about the "FPGA tech" compared to the XMOS silicon?

One review (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aune-x8.23815/reviews) has the following "The X8 uses aune’s own self developed FPGA, which is a rather different DAC technology, as only a handful of manufacturers utilize FPGA. (for reference, FPGA is also the same tech that is utilized by Chord from the Mojo up to the DAVE). This is an interesting approach compared to the usual AK and ESS DACs, which aren’t bad by any means. But this is a breath of fresh air. The X8 also has a good range of support (32/768k) it plays up to DSD512 and PCM 768k. " and "Simply put, the X8 is musical. It is a little mellower and laidback compared with the usual ESS DACs at this price range, which sounds more aggressive ".

Really ?, does the FPGA carry out the digital to analogue function rather than the ESS ES9038 chip(s), Q2M or Pro ?, dual mono or multiplexed ?

All very confusing when all I am thinking about is a sweet sounding DAC, preferably without the headphone amplifier.

The Aune web pages need to offer better specifications.

In the meantime is there anyone out there who can explain what the X8 Magic DAC actually offers and perhaps how it compares with others at similar prices?

With the high price of the X8 compared to Topping or SMSL devices anyone contemplating a purchase needs a better understanding of what is on offer.

velasfloyd

If you look at RME ADI-2 new version and Topping D90, not by ear but objectively, the difference is just some % :)
The RME is an exceeding implementation of AK4493 though, few would reach its performance

I'm intrigued by the upcoming e30 in any case. Thanks for sharing @JohnYang1997

89656925_3119121481432023_158334020906647552_o.jpg

N

nhatlam96

A quick comparison for the amp and dac of the AuneX1s 10th Anniversary Edition.
I got the Hiresfi USB DAC 5102 and SMSL SP200 AMP for comparison.
The Aune X1s AMP is powerful enough to drive my DT1990 without problems,
but it's lacking a lot of depth and brightness in comparison to SMSL SP200 - it sounds very warm and flat.
The Hiresfi DAC is very harsh in the treble and everything is low resolution in comparison to Aune X1s DAC
- it made my DT1990 sound like a broken 5€ Headset.

JeyElDee

I saw "no ADC test". Does this thing have the possibility to 'record' from RCA analog line in to USB ? (eg using Audacity)

Top Bottom