• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M106 Bookshelf Speaker Review

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By far one of my favorite bookkshelf sized loudspeakers to date -- along with the M126Be's.

Have you had a chance to compare the m106 with the m126be? Curious how different you thought they were.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
After bumping in a semi-objective comparison of these speakers against the KEF LS50, made by Jon Atkinson, I had a look at the two tests here. To my extremely un-technical eye, the LS50 seem to show lower distortion than the M106, however this was not discussed in the review. Am I missing something?
Edit: The M106 was tested at 96db. The LS50 at a lower level. Maybe 80-ish? I could be wrong; I’m looking at the dB level at 1 kHz.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
After bumping in a semi-objective comparison of these speakers against the KEF LS50, made by Jon Atkinson, I had a look at the two tests here. To my extremely un-technical eye, the LS50 seem to show lower distortion than the M106, however this was not discussed in the review. Am I missing something?
Think in that Atkinson comparison they look much close compared to what Amir benched them to here, below animation them two speakers using Amir's shared spindata can maybe help what i mean.

Omit any published distortion tests in general myself think of comparison: M106 is smoother raw out of box, M106 is most directive below 2kHz and LS50 most directive above 2kHz, LS50 is bit closer to on paper ideal PIR and power response targets, M106 have better effiency, LS50 have better verticals..

o2so_1x1x_2000mS.gif

Last edited:

Sparky

Forum Donor
So so tempted by these M106' but they're a special order in the UK. This means no home demo possible. Of course, they're never up for sale over here either so it's a tough decision to blow £2k based on spinorama data.
I even considered the M126be but again, no demo units and special order only.

You Americans have all the luck... :D

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So so tempted by these M106' but they're a special order in the UK. This means no home demo possible. Of course, they're never up for sale over here either so it's a tough decision to blow £2k based on spinorama data.

If you want good-measuring speakers over there, you have some good options from the Danes and Nords.

Sparky

Forum Donor
If you want good-measuring speakers over there, you have some good options from the Danes and Nords.

Yeah, I've been looking and Amphion, Dynaudio and Arendal spring to mind. Thing is, they have to look the part too because they're going in a lounge which my wife tells me is a living room first before anything else.. :(

Dynaudio ticks that box, I saw a lovely pair of Contour 20i's in walnut but know nothing of them.
Amphion again, do a nice walnut but are very "boxy" looking and I'm not keen on the binding posts sticking out the back!
Arendal only do black and white and aren't really living room friendly......

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would look at another Danish speaker maker, Buchardt Audio, who's speakers are designed by a former Dynaudio engineer. Unless you go up pretty high in the Dynaudio line, Buchardt speakers at your price range are generally better. The best modern comparison at that link is probably the Special 40 and it doesn't measure all that well for $3k.

And then you also have the folks at Focal, who are making great speakers from France that should fit the SAF requirement.

Last edited:

Sparky

Forum Donor
Try nintronics. On offer at half that price nintronics.co.uk.
Spoke to them numerous times last week and even paid £799 for the M105 only to find they had no walnut in stock AFTER they took my money for them. Same trick with the M106 I then went for as an alternative... They kept my money for a bit longer then, after no phone call, chased them only to find that again, no walnut.... Not the best sales team really.

Sparky

Forum Donor
I would look at another Danish speaker maker, Buchardt Audio, who's speakers are designed by a former Dynaudio engineer. Unless you go up pretty high in the Dynaudio line, Buchardt speakers at your price range are generally better. The best modern comparison at that link is probably the Special 40.

And then you also have the folks at Focal, who are making great speakers from France that should fit the SAF requirement.

Wow! That database is awesome! I instantly went to the 126be :D

Sparky

Forum Donor
I would look at another Danish speaker maker, Buchardt Audio, who's speakers are designed by a former Dynaudio engineer. Unless you go up pretty high in the Dynaudio line, Buchardt speakers at your price range are generally better. The best modern comparison at that link is probably the Special 40.

Again, I did look at the buchardt but I thought all the fanfare around their release (and all the YouTube influencers) was a bit over the top so discounted them based on that... I'll look again.....

Sparky

Forum Donor

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The active speakers are the new thing, yes. Since I use an AVR with room correction and I have good amplification, I'm probably not the intended audience, but they do look very nice.

Sparky

Forum Donor
The active speakers are the new thing, yes. Since I use an AVR with room correction and I have good amplification, I'm probably not the intended audience, but they do look very nice.
I'm in the same boat as you. I require a passive bookshelf as my towers dive too deep. Problem is, I will have the same issue if I bought bookshelves that dive too deep! I cannot buy anything that will activate the 40hz room mode that my towers play havoc with. Even Anthem Room Correction really struggles to handle it.
I need a bookshelf that starts rolling off early to allow my two subs to blend nicely and handle the low end duties (hence the 105/106/126)
I have my subs running well together down to 14hz and quite flat too so the low end is dealt with.

It really limits my choices, especially with them having to be walnut.... :(

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You can get them much cheaper than list if you try. Have you looked into shipping cost to the UK from over here?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in the same boat as you. I require a passive bookshelf as my towers dive too deep. Problem is, I will have the same issue if I bought bookshelves that dive too deep! I cannot buy anything that will activate the 40hz room mode that my towers play havoc with. Even Anthem Room Correction really struggles to handle it.
I need a bookshelf that starts rolling off early to allow my two subs to blend nicely and handle the low end duties (hence the 105/106/126)
I have my subs running well together down to 14hz and quite flat too so the low end is dealt with.

It really limits my choices, especially with them having to be walnut.... :(
I think with the right crossover this can be mitigated. Your speakers should be rolled off at 24 dB per octave below the crossover point. Cross them at 80-100 Hz and it should be perfect. At 40 Hz their output will be down by 24-36 dB.

If that still doesn't do it, maybe look at something smaller. I can see why you gravitated toward the M105. Maybe try eBay for those. PSB Imagine or Alpha also come to mind. But I would take a close look at the Focal Aria 906 which has a dark walnut vinyl that looks nice or a light walnut wood veneer.

Sparky

Forum Donor
You can get them much cheaper than list if you try. Have you looked into shipping cost to the UK from over here?

I did consider that to be honest but was a bit concerned about transit damage and the issues around returning them if faulty.
Can you recommend a trusted dealer over in the US?

Sparky

Forum Donor
I think with the right crossover this can be mitigated. Your speakers should be rolled off at 24 dB per octave below the crossover point. Cross them at 80-100 Hz and it should be perfect. At 40 Hz their output will be down by 24-36 dB.

If that still doesn't do it, maybe look at something smaller. I can see why you gravitated toward the M105. Maybe try eBay for those. PSB Imagine or Alpha also come to mind. But I would take a close look at the Focal Aria 906 which has a dark walnut vinyl that looks nice or a light walnut wood veneer.

This is what happens in-room.
Spendor A7 - bass boom due to room boundary effect.png

It's horrific. That's with the rear ports stuffed with foam too! I've actually bought the Focal 906's to try but the colour of the wrap was too dark and the stands are overly big so the WAF was low. They're being sold.

Top Bottom