• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F228Be Review (Speaker)

MacCali

Major Contributor
How does the M105 compare to F226Be? I am debating on upgrading to F208 or F226Be from M105.
There’s a measurement and score on the F series that’s very good almost outstanding I believe.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, in fact that Revel doesn't have any distortion problem neither a peak in the spinorama

That being said, in other speakers where i found a distortion peak sometimes correlate more.. for example, the reviewer have wrote this

'' high-Q resonances in the cones are visible at 3-6kHz '' and then the distortion casually have a rise right there...
It seems like there's corresponding anomalies in the spin, but likely too little to have any impact on listening tests. Might show up with pink noise or test tones.

Revel F228Be Frequency Response Measurements Speaker floor standing~2.png

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Picking up a pair of these used. Should be an interesting comparison to my Harbeths. Unfortunately, will be in a different house, and I”m not sure I’m up for the transportation for direct comparison.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Picking up a pair of these used. Should be an interesting comparison to my Harbeths. Unfortunately, will be in a different house, and I”m not sure I’m up for the transportation for direct comparison.
Think it shouldn’t matter right? Isn’t this the speaker which pairs well with any room.

I know the harbeth will sound different but the revel should be a constant or consistent. I’m sure someone will chime in :)

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MacCali

Major Contributor
Well…here’s the room. Should challenge that concept pretty strenuously.

Thread 'Room challenge and DSP'
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/room-challenge-and-dsp.9178/
I mean no matter what, didn’t take a close look. As long as you make everything equal distance you can probably make it work. I know onrush side has no wall, so you need to put acoustic treatment for the wall with reflection.

It won’t fix everything but help a bit. All that matters is making the reflections similar.

I will take a closer look, but I am far from an audio expert. Just chiming in with what I understand and that may be useless or there’s no way to set it the way I’m saying

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to say, as I live with both my Harbeth SHL5+(AE) and these Revels, it’s the orchestral music and seating flexibility that reveal the superiority of the Revels. Listening to the Rachmaninov 2nd now at volume, well off center, and it’s great.

It’s a mistake to audition speakers with sparsely orchestrated music, or at least with only that. Throw an orchestra or some electronic music at it.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I have to say, as I live with both my Harbeth SHL5+(AE) and these Revels, it’s the orchestral music and seating flexibility that reveal the superiority of the Revels. Listening to the Rachmaninov 2nd now at volume, well off center, and it’s great.

It’s a mistake to audition speakers with sparsely orchestrated music, or at least with only that. Throw an orchestra or some electronic music at it.
Think it’s the same with most well behaved speakers. If my memory serves me correct that’s the one Erin tested

Nkam

Preference Rating
SCORE: 6.2
SCORE w/ sub: 7.6

Sensitivity: 89.3dB (300Hz-3kHz ; spec: 90dB)
Frequency response: +/- 3.2dB 80Hz-20kHz

since the tweeter is so high and usual listening positions according to stereophile are around 32-39” while usually somewhere around 34” wouldn’t that automatically mean the on axis vertical measurements shouldnt really be taken into account but the -10deg and -20deg measurements or in between?

can someone educate me on this please?

thanks

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
since the tweeter is so high and usual listening positions according to stereophile are around 32-39” while usually somewhere around 34” wouldn’t that automatically mean the on axis vertical measurements shouldnt really be taken into account but the -10deg and -20deg measurements or in between?

can someone educate me on this please?

thanks

The Be Tweeter in the Revel F228Be and F328Be works fine in various seating positions. I have not experienced any issues with my F328Be tweeter regardless of the seating position. However, with the BMR Monitor or BMR Tower with RAAL 64-10 tweeter, being at ear level with the tweeter does make a difference. Different tweeter designs will determine how important being at ear level really is.

Top Bottom