• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F228Be Review (Speaker)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Boy, do I wish I could sell this speaker. I have it packed in its giant package, taking up so much room.

BTW, the story behind this speaker is that a member bought a pair of them from our company. One was to come to me for testing and the other to a forwarding location in Florida as he is Australia. Well, I got my unit and the other went to his forwarding company but by then, he changed his mind and didn't want them anymore. :( Harman hit us with a $2,000 restocking fee for the unit that went to the forwarding company and I am stuck with the other one. So we are out thousands of dollars on this deal.
...there goes that conspiracy theory of your close relationship with Harman. Wow-that's quite a financial hit.

Donovan

I have the F228Be in piano black on order. It will be paired with my Yamaha A-S2200. Supply chain is a mess, so I'm not getting them until March to May of next year.

@amirm if only yours were in piano black, I would be sending you a message to buy them. I currently I have the NHT C4 holding me over, which by the way, would love to see you measure the NHT C4.

Edit: Originally, I was considering the F206, then changed my mind to the F208, then I said the heck with it, just splurge a little so ordered the F226, two weeks later, I said F it, I only live once, changed my order to the F228. Then the dealer tried to convince to me to double F it and to get the F328, which was in stock btw. Unfortunately, I couldn't double F it, F'in it once is as big as my balls can get unfortunately.
That’s interesting. I currently have a F36/F35/C25 setup with a couple of Rythmik subs. My original upgrade path was a F208/F206/C208 set up. However, wondering if I financially can pull it off to swap out the F208’s for 226 Be’s.

The reason it may not be the right choice is the size of my room. It’s the main living room in an open floor plan. About 15’ wide and 24’ to the back wall wearing the dining table is and 9’ ceiling. It’s also open to the kitchen area. So, even if I set the crossover at 80 Hz with either pair, I’m guessing the trade off decision is better mid bass with the F208 vs better mid and top end with the 226 Be. Is this a fair assessment?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s interesting. I currently have a F36/F35/C25 setup with a couple of Rythmik subs. My original upgrade path was a F208/F206/C208 set up. However, wondering if I financially can pull it off to swap out the F208’s for 226 Be’s.

The reason it may not be the right choice is the size of my room. It’s the main living room in an open floor plan. About 15’ wide and 24’ to the back wall wearing the dining table is and 9’ ceiling. It’s also open to the kitchen area. So, even if I set the crossover at 80 Hz with either pair, I’m guessing the trade off decision is better mid bass with the F208 vs better mid and top end with the 226 Be. Is this a fair assessment?
I think it is a fair assessment, but I don't have any guidance on which way to go with it. All I can add is I have F208s in a 19 ft wide by 34 ft long room. The F208's are capable of handling it on their own for two channel music. For surround I send the low end to a pair of Rhythmik subs. I've not experimented much with subs and F208s on two channel music, but it is obvious if nothing else I can get a smoother response in room below 100 hz.

Larry B. Larabee

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just read this article, certainly makes me think I should save up for the 226 Be’s.
I do wonder. Much of the improvement according to Revel is due to better motor structure on the drivers. I don't doubt it much, but none of that relates to the directivity guidelines from Harman's research. I'd really like to know what it does relate too. For comparison I do believe the F208 in Amir's testing gets better results than any of the BE models.

So is it distortion, is it less distortion in the low end, what is it? The 328Be has about the same distortion until below 200 hz. The 228Be has a bit more (though still low) distortion until below 200 hz. Don't have the data for 226 Be of course. So I would really like to know what is the parameters in the drivers that make the Be's sound better than the F208.

Lsc

I do wonder. Much of the improvement according to Revel is due to better motor structure on the drivers. I don't doubt it much, but none of that relates to the directivity guidelines from Harman's research. I'd really like to know what it does relate too. For comparison I do believe the F208 in Amir's testing gets better results than any of the BE models.

So is it distortion, is it less distortion in the low end, what is it? The 328Be has about the same distortion until below 200 hz. The 228Be has a bit more (though still low) distortion until below 200 hz. Don't have the data for 226 Be of course. So I would really like to know what is the parameters in the drivers that make the Be's sound better than the F208.
The Be product info:

PerformaBE​

The PerformaBe Series was born out of the desire to create a loudspeaker that redefined performance expectations. Using the award-winning Performa3 F208 and M106 as the starting point, Revel's development team re-engineered virtually every component in order to extract the finest details, the highest levels of performance, and the most emotion possible. With an all-new Beryllium tweeter as the basis of the Performa Be Series, the result is unparalleled detail and accuracy along with a sense of air, spaciousness, and a cohesive soundstage that will certainly define these models as world standards in performance. In short, the Revel Performa Be Series are serious loudspeakers for people who are serious about impeccable sound.

The Beauty of Beryllium​

Beryllium - Element 4 on the Periodic Table - is a rare earth metal that is renowned for its remarkable physical properties - properties that just so happen to make it the ideal material for a high-frequency transducer. It's lightweight, incredibly stiff, inherently well damped - basically everything you need for the ideal tweeter diaphragm in a loudspeaker. Compared to other metals used in tweeter diaphragms like aluminum and titanium, beryllium offers 4.5 times the stiffness and 3 times more damping, and does so at only half of the weight. Diamond vapor deposit diaphragms offer similar characteristics for stiffness and damping, but they do so with a weight penalty that limits performance in comparison to beryllium.

PerformaBe low frequency and midrange transducers feature newly developed Deep Ceramic Composite (DCC) cone technology. DCC creates a much stiffer and better damped cone than untreated aluminum, reducing cone resonance and promoting ideal pistonic motion. The result is unparalleled midrange purity and detail retrieval.

Revel PerformaBe's precision high order crossover networks feature carefully selected components to dramatically reduce distortion and dynamic compression for pristine sound over a wide dynamic range. These networks optimize the speakers' timbre accuracy, enhancing the listener's enjoyment anywhere in the room - even off axis!

Lsc

If you had 2 pair of speakers in your room side by side in order to evaluate them you could distinguish a difference between them but you wouldn't have the slightest idea which pair were playing at the time.
I had both the F208 and F228Be at the same time for a couple of weeks. The F228Be was better speaker across the spectrum but this doesn’t mean that the F208 was a bad speaker, it sounded very good over the 7 years that I owned it and still sounds very good.

The Be speakers are a step up but that also depends on who you ask. You really have to be into this stuff to justify the differences but they are there.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I think they altered the wave guide a bit. The F226Be measures a lot better than F206.

archerious

I think they altered the wave guide a bit. The F226Be measures a lot better than F206.
How does the M105 compare to F226Be? I am debating on upgrading to F208 or F226Be from M105.

amper42

Major Contributor
I don't have the F226Be, But I do have the M105 and the F328Be. The difference between the M105/F328Be is night and day. The F328Be makes the M105 sound like a toy.

Of course, you need at least a 12x13' room or larger for the F328Be. If you have the space the F328Be sounds awesome. Where the M105 suffers most is in the low bass area. This is where the F328Be excels. The F328Be always sounds totally effortless while the M105 struggles by comparison.

If you put the M105 next to the F226Be you will notice the 226 is in a completely different league. More refined and capable on every front. Expect a big difference between these two models. The ASR posted score for the M105 lead me to believe it might be something special. But in my listening tests the M105 sounds weak and puny compared to the F328Be. It's a laughable comparison.

muad

I don't have the F226Be, But I do have the M105 and the F328Be. The difference between the M105/F328Be is night and day. The F328Be makes the M105 sound like a toy.

Of course, you need at least a 12x13' room or larger for the F328Be. If you have the space the F328Be sounds awesome. Where the M105 suffers most is in the low bass area. This is where the F328Be excels. The F328Be always sounds totally effortless while the M105 struggles by comparison.

If you put the M105 next to the F226Be you will notice the 226 is in a completely different league. More refined and capable on every front. Expect a big difference between these two models. The ASR posted score for the M105 lead me to believe it might be something special. But in my listening tests the M105 sounds weak and puny compared to the F328Be. It's a laughable comparison.
Does any of this change with a subwoofer?

amper42

Major Contributor
Does any of this change with a subwoofer?

The M105 crossed over at 80Hz to a capable sub helps. The M105 easily distorts on the low end and that 80Hz crossover makes a difference. Even still, the M105 midrange and highs are weak in comparison to the F328Be. It's not a fair fight. In another comparison, the BMR monitor sounds significantly improved over the M105 to my ears. Bottom line, there are quite a few speakers that sound fuller than the M105. That little 5.25" woofer in the M105 is weak sauce to my ears. Especially, if I compare the speaker to a BMR monitor or a Revel floor standing speaker.

Molon_Labe

Is anyone powering their 228s with a Benchmark AHB2? I am hoping one will be sufficent vs having to buy two and use them as monoblocks. I don't listen loud as this is a 2.1 audio system in my living room.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I have a question
Why nobody is complaining about this?, looks shockley bad.
119Revelfig2.jpg

Last edited:

ENG

Forum Donor
Is anyone powering their 228s with a Benchmark AHB2? I am hoping one will be sufficent vs having to buy two and use them as monoblocks. I don't listen loud as this is a 2.1 audio system in my living room.
I have Revel F228Be, but not AHB2. I am driving them with NAD C298 (185w/8 ohm) which is more than enough. The Revels are rather sensitive.

amper42

Major Contributor

I'm driving the Revel F328Be with a Purifi amp. It's a great match with the RME ADI-2 ->Purifi amp -> Revel 328Be. My guess is you would be fine with a single AHB2 in stereo with the 228 as long as you don't start second guessing yourself later wondering whether it would sound better with two. :D

Personally, I think any of the Purifi designs sound great with the 228/328Be. I would be looking at the Buckeye 1ET400A stereo Purifi amp if I was in the market for another super clean power amp. The price is great and it sounds terrific with the F328Be. It offers more power for less money and most people in AB tests can't tell a difference (Purifi vs AHB2). Happy hunting!

Molon_Labe

@amper42 - If the Benmark isn't enough I may sell it and look at getting the Buckeye I wish I would have know about that if they are the same quality as the Benchmark :(

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a question
Why nobody is complaining about this?, looks shockley bad.
119Revelfig2.jpg
Unless you see those resonances in a spinorama, it's not an issue.
Dr. Toole said in a thread here that he tried to tell Atkinson that an accelerometer placed on a cabinet had very little correlation to audible issues, especially compared to spinorama, and should therefore not be used as an indicator for cabinet quality.

But less is probably a good thing anyhow.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Unless you see those resonances in a spinorama, it's not an issue.
Dr. Toole said in a thread here that he tried to tell Atkinson that an accelerometer placed on a cabinet had very little correlation to audible issues, especially compared to spinorama, and should therefore not be used as an indicator for cabinet quality.

But less is probably a good thing anyhow.
Yeah, in fact that Revel doesn't have any distortion problem neither a peak in the spinorama

That being said, in other speakers where i found a distortion peak sometimes correlate more.. for example, the reviewer have wrote this

'' high-Q resonances in the cones are visible at 3-6kHz '' and then the distortion casually have a rise right there...

Top Bottom