• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F228BE for 10’x 14’x 8,66’ Room

eyes-on-you

Hello,

I moved to a new house. I have a dedicated room for my hi-fi setup. I am free in acoustic tratement and placement.

Do you think the Revel F228 would be big in a room of this size?

How should I place the speakers?

For now, there is a large diffuser in the front. I placed the system on the short wall. There is a door behind me.

I bought Knauf Earthwool for the sides of the diffuser, to act as a bass trap. At the same time, there is a Knauf brand Black Acoustic Board that I can use.

The speakers placed 200 cm wide. They are 254cm from the back wall, 173cm from the front wall and 51.5cm from the side wall.

That way the sound isn't bad, but I'm having trouble with the lower frequencies, sometimes, some songs.

Waiting for your placement suggestions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 177

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Good day to you. What do you use to drive them? The room is small, true, and the 228BE are quite capable in the bass but... using a pair of subwoofer with DSP and EQ will provide the best sound possible. I know it sounds flippant and perhaps you think you don't need a sub or DSP or EQ... The Science is clear on that. Best bass in most any room from small to what many would consider palatial, but that in the realm of physics are "small rooms", even something as big as 60 x 30 x 20 feet room.... Is obtained with multiple subwoofers augmenting... Thus my suggestion for a pair of subs and a DSP. Or you ould EQ the 228BE... Results can be good, however the optimum for this room, actually any room would be a pair of subs plus DSP/EQ augmenting the 228BE... And it is not a matter of quantity of bass but of quality.

Peace.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That way the sound isn't bad, but I'm having trouble with the lower frequencies, sometimes, some songs.

Waiting for your placement suggestions.

Can you elaborate? What do you mean by "trouble"?

OP
eyes-on-you

eyes-on-you

Hi

Good day to you. What do you use to drive them? The room is small, true, and the 228BE are quite capable in the bass but... using a pair of subwoofer with DSP and EQ will provide the best sound possible. I know it sounds flippant and perhaps you think you don't need a sub or DSP or EQ... The Science is clear on that. Best bass in most any room from small to what many would consider palatial, but that in the realm of physics are "small rooms", even something as big as 60 x 30 x 20 feet room.... Is obtained with multiple subwoofers augmenting... Thus my suggestion for a pair of subs and a DSP. Or you ould EQ the 228BE... Results can be good, however the optimum for this room, actually any room would be a pair of subs plus DSP/EQ augmenting the 228BE... And it is not a matter of quantity of bass but of quality.

Peace.
Good day, thanks.

I’m using Benchmark AHB2 to drive them.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you have any area rugs in the room? It is a relatively small space and small rooms without enough diffusion and hard reflective surfaces everywhere can sound boomy. Even with your rear sound treatments. You have some of the best gear out there. Do you have any way to measure? And please be careful, in that space, with the gear you have you may be able to peel the paint off the walls at high volumes. ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This might be a case where a high pass filter to roll off the bass a little early might be a good thing. Maybe start with one at 50 hz just to see what the result is and play around with the roll off point if it seems promising.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Too much bass for a room is a myth. In practice, most problems are in 100-200hz region.

Too big of a speaker is a thing though. Either wide driver spacing or tweeters that are too high. It can limit your placement options.

The next steps are for you to take measurements with Room EQ Wizard.

OP
eyes-on-you

eyes-on-you

Do you have any area rugs in the room? It is a relatively small space and small rooms without enough diffusion and hard reflective surfaces everywhere can sound boomy. Even with your rear sound treatments. You have some of the best gear out there. Do you have any way to measure? And please be careful, in that space, with the gear you have you may be able to peel the paint off the walls at high volumes. ;)
Thank you, i m very pleased with my setup so i m looking for get better.

There is a big carpet on the floor.

This weekend, we will take measurements with my friend's UMIK microphone. I will post the results here.

OP
eyes-on-you

eyes-on-you

This might be a case where a high pass filter to roll off the bass a little early might be a good thing. Maybe start with one at 50 hz just to see what the result is and play around with the roll off point if it seems promising.
Thank you, i will try on Roon.

OP
eyes-on-you

eyes-on-you

Too much bass for a room is a myth. In practice, most problems are in 100-200hz region.

Too big of a speaker is a thing though. Either wide driver spacing or tweeters that are too high. It can limit your placement options.

The next steps are for you to take measurements with Room EQ Wizard.
I think so too.

I believe that I can get better results by changing the bass trap placements and change the spekaer placement after taking measurements.

Soundstage & depth are very good right now. Soundstage width isn't as good as my old room. Because the distance between the speakers was around 240 cm, now we have down to 200 cm. On the other hand, my old room is asymetrical, new room is symetrical. Maybe that's why the depth feel has improved.

I enjoy listening to songs that do not contain the problematic frequency. (I don't know which frequency range, since I haven't measured it yet.)

An interesting note:

When I selected Pracise Minimum Phase instead of Pracise Linear Phase on Roon settings, the sound was much more listenable and balanced.

How is this possible? Could it have an explanation other than psychology?

OP
eyes-on-you

eyes-on-you

C107C0D6-0242-43A1-9683-DEFA2D5378AD.jpeg
29E6CF8B-FC96-4AAF-A264-2E37F85D56DE.jpeg
21BBD914-D4E3-486A-B8DB-996FF54821CD.jpeg
891980CD-A1E9-462D-AD8F-E4C9CCB34200.jpeg
Here is measurements.

Rew file link:

Waiting your suggestions.

Top Bottom