• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would definitely wait as I got >20% off when I bought them right when they came out. Covid had skewed the supply curve a bit but it should return to normal.
Don't know about in Japan but here in the US no one pays anywhere near retail price for Revels unless one orders them off Crutchfield.

fraa

Thanks everyone for a lot of input. I think I am going to buy f206 or f208 but the question is which.
It seems as if more expensive Revels are going to disappear from Japan, seeing that newer Be models are already completely gone from the market and only some color of f206 and f208 are sold by only one merchant.
Anyway, I'll let you all know once I got a pair.

gallantus

I was looking at the F206 and F208, then I said F with it, I am not f'ing around anymore, went straight to the F226Be (I didn't have enough money to say double F it and go with the F228Be or the F328Be. . .lol).

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a great choice. I think others would benefit from using your methodology .
Agree- throwing caution to the wind is usually how I make audio purchases. :D

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a great choice. I think others would benefit from using your methodology .

I tend to do it this way now because I know it's highly likely I'll buy the more expensive one later anyway. I actually save money in the long run by going straight to the end game :D. It makes sense for people like me with little self control.

That said, if you're someone with better self control, it probably makes sense to save money ;). I find the differences between tiers (outside of bass) generally aren't all that large.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking at the F206 and F208, then I said F with it, I am not f'ing around anymore, went straight to the F226Be (I didn't have enough money to say double F it and go with the F228Be or the F328Be. . .lol).
Shoulda just went to the Salon...for the Ultima 2

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello from France

Just in case, Ikea standard feet (the feet they give you with Besta series) are perfect to move easily the speakers.
The sound is largely improved / no more cash after buying the speakers / etc.

View attachment 63083View attachment 63084
View attachment 63087

Many thanks for this great tip.

FYI for others - it doesn't look like you can get these Besta feet from Ikea (without buying the furniture) but you can find them on ebay.

steve59

Major Contributor
Shoulda just went to the Salon...for the Ultima 2
Interesting thought. Going by HK’s own listening results the salon 2, f208 and f228be are so close in blind comparisons I would expect you guys to dsp the f208 and call it a day.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting thought. Going by HK’s own listening results the salon 2, f208 and f228be are so close in blind comparisons I would expect you guys to dsp the f208 and call it a day.
That’s what I did.

I have almost all the Performa3 speakers. Lol
Just got the Concerta2 M16 but haven’t but them to use yet

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Thank you! This is definitely something to consider then! I probably haven't ever felt good midbass. The F208s seem like an amazing value. As others have mentioned, it may only be a 5% increase in performance going up to the F226Be from the F208s. I foresee it being marginally better (maybe 20%?) If we are talking about the F208 vs the F228Be though. I cannot afford the F228Be so they are not in the mix. Also, since I use this room mainly for home theater, I may see even less of a difference between F208 and F226Be due to the home theater having so many sounds going on! Such a tough decision! I'm still waiting on a dealer to get in touch with me to find out price differences. Maybe this will clear it up more easily.
Only difference is price difference placebo.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
After I changed my speakers from B&W floorstanders to Revel M106 bookshelves and my small REL T7i sub for a pair of REL S510 I experimented with crossover and was surprised to find that 200 Hz is the best, especially in movies at high volume.

I have f208 as surround speakers (strange setup, I know) and now I’m waiting for another pair of f208 to replace the M106s (wanted to buy 228 but Iwas concerned that white drivers will distract while watching movies), but I’m curious maybe I should still keep crossover at 200 Hz if that will allow me to play movies louder on my Denon x6500 without clipping.
Lord! You are overthinking. If you can afford Revels then for God's sake, pair with a decent amp. You are wasting the speaker at that goofy crossover.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Lord! You are overthinking. If you can afford Revels then for God's sake, pair with a decent amp. You are wasting the speaker at that goofy crossover.

I am pretty sure that M106 sounded better with a higher crossover with my REL subs, but f208 are better with crossover set to 80 or 60 Hz. Now I have f208s both front and back.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If benchmark clips, not a good sign. A powerful amp should never clip.

All amps clip, not all amps have accurate clip indicators, differentiating between voltage and current clipping.
The AHB2 has comprehensive clip indicators, so the user knows if the amps has enough amplification (voltage and current) for their listening preferences.

My Salon2s are bi-amp with AHB2 and they do not clip at my preferred listening levels with music and movies.

- Rich

Reactions: Pio

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
All amps clip, not all amps have accurate clip indicators, differentiating between voltage and current clipping.
The AHB2 has comprehensive clip indicators, so the user knows if the amps has enough amplification (voltage and current) for their listening preferences.

My Salon2s are bi-amp with AHB2 and they do not clip at my preferred listening levels with music and movies.

- Rich
If an amp clips under any level listener demands, need amp with additional reserves.

steve59

Major Contributor
While some dealers say speakers should be the least expensive component and it sounds like marketing bs, I found most 5 figure speakers have extreme amplifier requirements if they’re going to perform as advertised.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If an amp clips under any level listener demands, need amp with additional reserves.

Most amps do not have clip indicators, some with indicators are poorly defined, and some folks think loud enough is when they hear clipping distortion so this is true, but does not aid determining the system power requirements.

Here is a post describing my method for determining the maximum volume level on the process below which there cannot be clipping. It does not mean that clipping will occur above this level because this is determined by the source but when employed, can help the user determine their requirements.

(6) Amplifier Power: How much do you really need and your system’s dynamic range. | Page 6 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Or, you could just get about 200 WPC that measures well and be done with it, but I am too anal for that :p

- Rich

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Most amps do not have clip indicators, some with indicators are poorly defined, and some folks think loud enough is when they hear clipping distortion so this is true, but does not aid determining the system power requirements.

Here is a post describing my method for determining the maximum volume level on the process below which there cannot be clipping. It does not mean that clipping will occur above this level because this is determined by the source but when employed, can help the user determine their requirements.

(6) Amplifier Power: How much do you really need and your system’s dynamic range. | Page 6 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Or, you could just get about 200 WPC that measures well and be done with it, but I am too anal for that :p

- Rich
Buy much more WPC than you think you will ever need. Trust me, you will need for transients. Will not miss or notice said need until you no longer need. Don't miss what is never experienced.

Top Bottom