• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

steve59

Major Contributor
No doubt the revels revel in power

scroydon

FrigidFreeAmericanwarmblood-max-1mb.gif
New to this forum and I like it. It seems like most here refrain from sniping one another and that is refreshing. Finally, I like how you deal with trash!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I acquired some of these via the @Rottmannash contact. Was a smooth transaction. I'm very happy with the speakers. I've got a large class D amp on them and they sound excellent all the way around. I replaced some F12's with these in a surround setup. Also will double for stereo now. I dropped the F208 right in the same place as the F12 speakers are physically similar with a pair of 8 inch woofers and being floor standers. Works just great in the same spot of the room.

stren

Forum Donor
I acquired some of these via the @Rottmannash contact. Was a smooth transaction. I'm very happy with the speakers. I've got a large class D amp on them and they sound excellent all the way around. I replaced some F12's with these in a surround setup. Also will double for stereo now. I dropped the F208 right in the same place as the F12 speakers are physically similar with a pair of 8 inch woofers and being floor standers. Works just great in the same spot of the room.

Would love to see a full surround setup with these! Pics?

Reactions: Pio

Dgob

Just a suggestion, but I found that the F208's work even better when properly isolated. I use a set of IsoAcoustics Gaia II under both and they do improve the performance in terms of detail, clarity, sound stage and imaging.

I'm not certain how easy it would be to objectively measure the improvements, but think the issue might come down to their quite elevated price in relation to the degree of performance improvements. For me and my listening room with its wooden flooring, they were definitely worth it .

But I obviously use mine for audio only - sans surround sound.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just a suggestion, but I found that the F208's work even better when properly isolated. I use a set of IsoAcoustics Gaia II under both and they do improve the performance in terms of detail, clarity, sound stage and imaging.
I wonder how much these changed the final height of the speakers compared to the stock feet? If you look at the measurements it wouldn't take much change in the vertical axis at the listening chair to modify the speakers sound.
I'm not certain how easy it would be to objectively measure the improvements, but think the issue might come down to their quite elevated price in relation to the degree of performance improvements. For me and my listening room with its wooden flooring, they were definitely worth it .
If the changes are as extensive as you believe they would reveal themselves very easily.
But you would have to take extensive before and after measurements in your listening room.
As you mentioned the elevated price of these feet, ($300) I must also say that it's just as possible that much of the improvements you hear are $ induced bias that would disappear under properly controlled listening tests.
Might I also suggest some room treatment in the way of heavy rugs on your hardwood floors to tame bounce.
Covering the area between the speakers and 1/3 to 1/2 way to listening chair, this might even further improve focus and detail.
Now time to save up for a couple more at least, and expand into multich music. ;)
Enjoy those 208

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how much these changed the final height of the speakers compared to the stock feet? If you look at the measurements it wouldn't take much change in the vertical axis at the listening chair to modify the speakers sound.

If the changes are as extensive as you believe they would reveal themselves very easily.
But you would have to take extensive before and after measurements in your listening room.
As you mentioned the elevated price of these feet, ($300) I must also say that it's just as possible that much of the improvements you hear are $ induced bias that would disappear under properly controlled listening tests.
Might I also suggest some room treatment in the way of heavy rugs on your hardwood floors to tame bounce.
Covering the area between the speakers and 1/3 to 1/2 way to listening chair, this might even further improve focus and detail.
Now time to save up for a couple more at least, and expand into multich music. ;)
Enjoy those 208

+1

Reactions: Pio

Dgob

Enjoy those 208
Thanks, I did go through these same thoughts and oft stated questions about these isolators. However, now being a bit of an oldie, the chief bits of assessment equipment that I use are attached to the sides of my head - although they seem determined to outgrow it. Hence, my suggestion around more objective measurements.

I think that the elevated height possibility would indeed be - if anything - detrimental, as my listening position is already slightly lower than is usually recommended (maybe, Amir's review not withstanding, an issue for another discussion around the F208's performance on the vertical axis).

Room treatments (including rugs, absorbers and diffusers) are already addressed. So I really do think that the real issue is whether my perception can be objectively proven. That's something that I hope will be addressed at some point on this excellent site.

As with perceived improvements due to cable changes, I do not dismiss the possibility that even a hard nosed sceptic such as me could be caught up in the subconscious influences on what (or at least, how) I perceive. And I must admit that I don't really see the same importance as is often accorded to the subjective nature of this. I suppose I remember that the colour yellow only exists because our brains combine reds and greens; and I would not therefore argue that yellow does not exist.

Gosh, I just read this back and I hope it doesn't come across as defensive. I accept your suggested possibilities and really do enjoy the F208's. :)

Dgob

Sorry, I should also have noted that I doubt your suggested possibility that "the improvements you hear are $ induced bias". I have far more expensive equipment than what I have selected as my main system. Even the F208's (£6k) are less expensive than my Talon Hawks (£10k). Yet I definitely prefer the former - as stand-alone speakers (sans subs). Similarly, most of my system is isolated on Symposium Ultra shelves and platforms, which make the price of the Gaia's fade into insignificance.

So I still think objective measurements will be the way to go, if one wants to assess the qualities (or not) of the IsoAcoustics! Of course, the other way is to audition them, if you can find a retailer that will allow that. ;)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks, I did go through these same thoughts and oft stated questions about these isolators. However, now being a bit of an oldie, the chief bits of assessment equipment that I use are attached to the sides of my head
That's your #1 mistake and the first people should take away from this site.
Human perceptions are the easiest things to fool and the last thing you should trust as verified evidence.
Even more so if your an "oldie". I'm 71. :facepalm:
So I really do think that the real issue is whether my perception can be objectively proven. That's something that I hope will be addressed at some point on this excellent site.
Sure they can but we can only help to lead you to the knowledge to do it yourself, in your room, on your gear, with your own eyes. In very simple terms,
Start by downloading the free REW room measurement software and picking up a Umik1 measurement mic for around $100, peanuts to what we have already invested in our gear.
You will then need to learn your way around the software and then after that start making some before and after measurements.

There are other options, making recordings of your system playing back your fav music in a before and after condition. Then setup a blind listening test having someone else play back the recordings on your system for you and see if you can identify one from the other. There are many cavils here, the recordings will have to be done and played back under absolutely identical conditions, identical levels within 0.25 db, no identifying background noises, etc, etc.

You have a difficult project ahead since there's no easy way to do instant switching between configs under blind conditions that I can think of. Others should have some other suggestions.
The one fact I think you have to come to grips with is that raising or lowering your speakers an inch or two, and the products isolation is entirely possible of changing the sound at the MLP (main listening position) but you have given this minor change some major and wide ranging effects. IMHO Any real changes should be subtle in the extreme, think about the likely hood of that. ;)

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have been fascinated by comparisons between the Revel 228 Be and the open baffle designs (especially the Spatial Audio X5). Having just bought the F208's new, I was nearly convinced that the performance of Revel speakers were like 'drinking warm cocoa'. I assume this analogy aimed to suggest that they are not dynamic and even boring. That was the phrase used to compare them to the X5's and it did spring to mind when I brought them home and began playing them on a single Benchmark AHB2 amplifier.

That was before a friend suggested I run them on mono blocks. Well, I bought a second and now run them on two Benchmark AHB2 power amps in bridged mono. The difference is huge. Better attack, bass extension, imaging, sound stage, detail and tonality. The speakers definitely like power and boy do they reward that gift. I suspect this will be the same regarding the F208's successors, the 228 Be's.
AHB2 is such a low distortion amp, I'm really not sure what would justify the difference in sound quality. Are you really needing more than 100 watts per channel? They're a fairly efficient speaker.

Dgob

That's your #1 mistake and the first people should take away from this site.
Human perceptions are the easiest things to fool and the last thing you should trust as verified evidence.
Even more so if your an "oldie". I'm 71. :facepalm:

Sure they can but we can only help to lead you to the knowledge to do it yourself, in your room, on your gear, with your own eyes. In very simple terms,
Start by downloading the free REW room measurement software and picking up a Umik1 measurement mic for around $100, peanuts to what we have already invested in our gear.
You will then need to learn your way around the software and then after that start making some before and after measurements.

There are other options, making recordings of your system playing back your fav music in a before and after condition. Then setup a blind listening test having someone else play back the recordings on your system for you and see if you can identify one from the other. There are many cavils here, the recordings will have to be done and played back under absolutely identical conditions, identical levels within 0.25 db, no identifying background noises, etc, etc.

You have a difficult project ahead since there's no easy way to do instant switching between configs under blind conditions that I can think of. Others should have some other suggestions.
The one fact I think you have to come to grips with is that raising or lowering your speakers an inch or two, and the products isolation is entirely possible of changing the sound at the MLP (main listening position) but you have given this minor change some major and wide ranging effects. IMHO Any real changes should be subtle in the extreme, think about the likely hood of that. ;)

Thanks for your strong suggestions. :)

Dgob

AHB2 is such a low distortion amp, I'm really not sure what would justify the difference in sound quality. Are you really needing more than 100 watts per channel? They're a fairly efficient speaker.

I can only tell you what we experienced. So, yes, it really did make that much of a difference! Give it a try. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks for your strong suggestions.
Apologize if I sound "strong".
I'm a man of plain talk and try to get things across with as few words as possible.
yes, it really did make that much of a difference! Give it a try

My JBL HDI-3600's came with rubber feet, no need. ;)

Dgob

Apologize if I sound "strong".
I'm a man of plain talk and try to get things across with as few words as possible.

My JBL HDI-3600's came with rubber feet, no need. ;)

No need to apologize. I appreciate your passion. Just to note: the "give it a try" comment was on a different topic and not really directed to you.

Maybe I should also have made it clear that I have no need to address anything in my system except my vinyl front end. I'm still exploring phono stages as my final frontier. I've auditioned and rejected a good few (including Audio Research, EAR, Pro-Ject RS2 etc) and am awaiting arrival of my Violectric PPA V790. If that can perform near to my Essential 3160 and also exceed its gain capacity (70 dB against 60 dB), my system building will join me in retirement.

A long road but happy ending! :);)

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
Remember those 6'x6' entertainment racks that were popular in the late 80's? It held the tv, video game system, all the stereo components and even a pull out to hold all the vhs tapes? I kept my hifi on one til the mid 90's and when I put them on a proper equipment rack I couldn't believe the difference.

Dgob

Remember those 6'x6' entertainment racks that were popular in the late 80's? It held the tv, video game system, all the stereo components and even a pull out to hold all the vhs tapes? I kept my hifi on one til the mid 90's and when I put them on a proper equipment rack I couldn't believe the difference.

Deja vu :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom