• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Retired and trying to simplify down to 2 channel only listening

Robh3606

Why don't you try a pair of "full" rangers and add a sub for LFE?? I own a pair of Performa F206's and have them in a 2.1 set-up I use for movies and music in my living room. Nice WAF and it sounds really good and keeps the LFE out of them. I would try something similar with what you have first. Nothing beats a well dialed in surround system for movies.

Rob :)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
A pair of these Reference 3A Sema Zen's should do it.

1640306720111.png

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
What's the price of those?
$22K for the pair back in 2014.

Holmz

Major Contributor
OP wanted towers, not bookshelves.

Having heard them, I am actually considering a set.
The bass extension was way better than I expected.

But as I could be biased, so I am awaiting the objective testing.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP, also keep in mind that most dealers will sell Revel speakers for about 30% below MSRP. I'm not sure the same is true for KEF.

dshreter

If active speakers are an option, 2x Genelec 8351b + 2x Genelec w371a will run you $26k. This just might be the ultimate stereo tower pair.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I also have two listening areas. I use one system totally for stereo only music. I use it 95% of the time. I also have a 7.2.4 setup with Denon 4700 for movies. If you have two listening areas already, there's no draw back to turning one into a high quality stereo setup.
In my stereo only system I use:
1. Revel F328Be speakers
2. RME ADI-2 DAC FS (for Pre-amp and DAC) (RPi4 Moode for wireless streaming on USB port)
3. Purifi amp (March Audio P452)
(Soon to A/B the Purifi against the Buckeye Amps NC502MP)

The sound of this stereo system is absolutely beautiful. It's my favorite listening area. You won't be disappointed in a high quality 2-channel system for music.
Unless you like multichannel music which I prefer as it reproduce better concert halls!

phrwn

I've experimented going backwards from a 5.1 system all the way to just the TV speakers and I reckon a 3.1 set-up is the best compromise between form and function. For music 2.0 is fine, but for movies and TV I would miss the center channel. Audio mixes are variable, but I frequently can't hear dialogue well enough on a 2.0 system, so I'd pick 3.0 over 2.0 or 3.1. Since subwoofers are fun for when everything starts blowing up I'd say they are worthwhile, hence 3.1.

Removing surrounds is when you really start to tidy up the cabling mess. After that I'm replacing bulky floorstanders with bookshelf speakers and I'll try to put the sub in an unobtrusive position and I think this is a nice middle ground, all things considered.

thunderchicken

I've experimented going backwards from a 5.1 system all the way to just the TV speakers and I reckon a 3.1 set-up is the best compromise between form and function. For music 2.0 is fine, but for movies and TV I would miss the center channel. Audio mixes are variable, but I frequently can't hear dialogue well enough on a 2.0 system, so I'd pick 3.0 over 2.0 or 3.1. Since subwoofers are fun for when everything starts blowing up I'd say they are worthwhile, hence 3.1.

Removing surrounds is when you really start to tidy up the cabling mess. After that I'm replacing bulky floorstanders with bookshelf speakers and I'll try to put the sub in an unobtrusive position and I think this is a nice middle ground, all things considered.

I started with a cheap 5.1 setup, didn't like it, went to mid-fi 2 channel, then 2.2, and now I've come almost full circle by adding a center. You just need it these days for dialogue. Haven't missed the rest of the channels, and it's much less of a mess.

iLoveCats

I don't miss the center channel at all for movies and TV. Went down from a Dolby Atmos dedicated room to a decent 2 channel 2 sub setup in my living room. I guess I prefer the 2 channel imaging vs the localized sounds in home theater. My L/R speakers for the 2 channel are the ones from my home theater system.

Walter

While I never went beyond 5, I did have a couple of reasonably good systems and determined that while I occasionally like the surround effects, and did enjoy the two or three good surround encoded music DVDs I had, the improvement was minor. The center channel added absolutely nothing for me, although I never sat more tan about 15 degree off center so in a different setting I might like one. After selling the second system for yet another international move, I have never longed for anything more than stereo in the 14 years since. But that is just me. I also have no interest in an actual home theater room. I stayed in a house with a pretty good one for three weeks a few years ago and used it to watch all of one movie.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
OP, also keep in mind that most dealers will sell Revel speakers for about 30% below MSRP. I'm not sure the same is true for KEF.
This being an international forum, I'd just like to point out that dealer discounts can vary a lot from country to country just like RRP can.

I note that you've done some international moves from your later post, so you may be right on Ravel regardless. KEF at least were levelling out their prices internationally a couple of years ago, which might be relevant in some parts of the world (like Australia, where I am) where prices can be a lot higher than in other countries.

Such things can make a big difference. Since Sound United took over distribution of their products directly in Australia, they dropped the price of Marantz products - and I bought things not long before - to the extent that with the big discount I got, I still paid more.

Walter

This being an international forum, I'd just like to point out that dealer discounts can vary a lot from country to country just like RRP can.
Definitely. Having lived around a lot of other nationalities, I've learned that when someone in an international setting just assumes that everyone knows what currency they are referring to, as the OP did, they are probably American! (As am I.) So I made my own assumption.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I've already answered one question here using the wrong sort of dollar. It can be a bit embarrassing

Top Bottom