• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing (broken)Schiit stack

VinceS

Hi all,

Hope this is the right forum as its not just about specifically amps or dacs.

I have been using a entry level Schiit stack for the last couple of years. The Schiit Modi 3 and the Schiit Heresy. I have mostly been very pleased with these items. However the pot on the Schiit Heresy has become so scratchy and after multiple cleans nothing seems to help anymore. Furthermore it seems that the Modi 3 is on its way out as it sometimes does not get recognized by the computer anymore and other times only after 10-15 minutes. So i am looking to replace my current stack.

I am currently set up like this:

Computer -> USB -> Modi 3 -> RCA -> Heresy -> Beyerdynamic DT1990 and line-out RCA->XLR into Genelec 8030c.

I use Equalizer APO to set a -20db preamp gain when using the Genelecs because they are incredibly loud otherwise.

What i like about my current setup that seems impossible to find now is that the speakers mute when i plug in my headphones. Switching inputs with a remote or interface is not a big deal so not a dealbreaker.

I have of course been looking at all the equipment threads on here and am going to list a few with my likes and dislikes and was wondering if anyone could advise me on other options or making the right choice.

CL200 - €249
This seems like it would fit my needs perfectly. Also enables me to have a balanced connection for my Genelecs. I am worried about the reliability of the product though. Have read some worrying issues about quality and failure. Switching between line-out and hp out might be a bother?

Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 - €289
All the connections one might need (and don't need). Seems to be good enough for my usecases. Not the best headphone amp unfortunately, especially powerwise. But not terribble. Has seperate volume control for headphones and speakers. Nice bonus.

DX5 lite - €349
Same pros and cons as the CL200 only with XLR connections and slightly better performance. Worried about blowing up the speakers or my ears with the output mode that has all channels active at once. Maybe i'm worried about nothing.

SMSL DO300EX - €479
Nice lookin piece of kit. Can't find good measurements yet. Mostly generic reviews that don't actually explain anything. Seems to have a better interface for switching things around.

A HO200 + Topping D10B might also work. But that would cost about as much as the DO300EX and i don't see any benefit there.

Am i missing any obvious options?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got the DX5 and it sounds amazing. Same power on both plugs and the lite doesn't have MQA and nobody uses that anyway since it's useless. The SMSL DL200 is new and looks comparable. Waiting on one, but shipping is 2 weeks more at least.
The kingpin combo for the headphones you have would be the Topping A30 Pro and Topping D10b DAC. Same power on all connectors, so no compromise with beyerdynamics or shopping for balanced cables. I've had that a few times. If you don't plan on IEMs a used SMSL SP200 will be even less expensive.

OP
V

VinceS

I've got the DX5 and it sounds amazing. Same power on both plugs and the lite doesn't have MQA and nobody uses that anyway since it's useless. The SMSL DL200 is new and looks comparable. Waiting on one, but shipping is 2 weeks more at least.
The kingpin combo for the headphones you have would be the Topping A30 Pro and Topping D10b DAC. Same power on all connectors, so no compromise with beyerdynamics or shopping for balanced cables. I've had that a few times. If you don't plan on IEMs a used SMSL SP200 will be even less expensive.

Thanks for your experiences about the DX5. It might still be at the top of my list.

About your Topping A30 Pro recommendation. The A30 Pro seems to have pass through instead of a pre-amp. So wouldn't i need a dac with volume control to use that effectively with my active Genelec speakers? Or am i misreading/misunderstanding how the A30 Pro works?

OP
V

VinceS

I am really curious if anyone has further input.

Small reasoning about why i am not considering Schiit again. Within the EU the Schiiit markup has increased so much that the value is very skewed. Some items are almost double the US price.

Top Bottom