• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations Budget Speaker Auro 3D

Vanto

I'm currently in the midst of planning some renovations for my home, and one area I'm really delving into is setting up a good speaker system, specifically an Auro 3D setup with the Auro 11.1 configuration. I've been reading the Auro 3D guidelines, which recommends of using the same type of speaker throughout to create an immersive experience. My room measures 16ft x 16ft (5m x 5m), so it's not overly spacious.

Here's where I could use some help:
  • I'm aiming to find speakers that fit my budget, around 200USD / 200€ per pair.
  • Size is crucial since I plan to mount and angle these speakers on the wall.
  • Good availability in Europe.

Here's what I've got on my candidate list:
  • Dayton Audio MK402X
  • Polk Audio XT15
  • Polk Audio XT20
  • Kef Q150 (I'm considering a second-hand option for this one)

After seeing the review from Erin about the Monoprice M518HT THX 5.1 System, I wonder if there are similar systems which have better availability in Europe.

Main question=>
If you have any recommendations, especially ones available in Europe, I would truly appreciate your input. Thx

Attachments

• Auro11.1.jpg
    Auro11.1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 46
OP
V

Vanto

I still havent fully decided but I am considering now the go for the Q Acoustics 3000i series.
These are good speakers and the main benefit is, that there is also a wall bracket from Q Acoustics that makes it easy to wall mount them.
I have looked at Wharfedale Diamond 220, Dali Fazon, QA 3020i, Kef Q150, Polk XT20 and Polk ES15.

Which ones are you looking at at the moment?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd go with Q150 - it can be more difficult than you'd expect getting height speakers perfectly aligned. The Q150 vertical directivity will make them easier to work with.

Also, it may be worth noting that many current AVRs will send Auro channels to Atmos layouts. Atmos layout is better for future proofing and you'll get 95% same result when upmixing

Q series also gives you easy upgrade path. Maybe Q350 for LCR at a later date, for example

Last edited:
I am really at the beginning of the decision process. Right now I am starting to research what exactly makes a good surround speaker besides being ,,neutral“ sounding.

The q acoustics seem like a good choice from what I see. And they look much better than most Budget speakers I have seen so far.
The q150 are a bit too expensive for my budget

Last edited:
OP
V

Vanto

I'd go with Q150 - it can be more difficult than you'd expect getting height speakers perfectly aligned. The Q150 vertical directivity will make them easier to work with.

Also, it may be worth noting that many current AVRs will send Auro channels to Atmos layouts. Atmos layout is better for future proofing and you'll get 95% same result when upmixing

Q series also gives you easy upgrade path. Maybe Q350 for LCR at a later date, for example
I think the vertical directivity of the QA 3020i is quite acceptable. It has a range of +- 30deg.

The Atmos layout is specifying ceiling speakers as height channels. But sonically, I dont know what to expect from in-ceiling speakers.
I heard also that the Auro3D upmixer quite good.

Top Bottom