• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation of a Second Hand Budget Stereo Amplifier for my Elac Debut b5

Gabon3zu

Hello everyone! I don`t post or come here often so I consider myself new here ..bear with me please if I did any mistakes or posted in the wrong place!
I just bought a pair of Elac Debut b5 speakers and I struggle to find/match a good bang for the bank amplifier..
I`m after a secondhand Amplifier, nothing fancy, that will work well with Elacs speakers. I have a small room like 4x5m.
I don't listen to music loud in general plus I`m middle of terrace!.. I prefer to have fidelity and details instead of loud music
I`m based in London UK and my budget is around max 200 British Pounds
- Elac b5 speakers are rated at
  • impedance: 6 ohms
  • recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
I have a Topping dx3 pro-Amp/DAC that I use with my headphones and I`m thinking to use it as well with the amp you will recommend if that is the case!
Thank you!

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Used you have to hunt around, pretty much anything with60w/ch or more will work well, they are an easy speaker to drive. New on a budget, I would consider these

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yamaha and Rotel come to my mind.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I like CDMC's suggestions, but I would also take a look at Sony's STDR190 and the Yamaha 202. Many on this forum like the Aiyama 07 and the Topping PA3s (incl. me), but those are bare bone amps. LTig likes Rotel (excellent) but probably outside yr price. Since yr in England, there's probably a lot of used Cambridge gear out there, take a look at the 'for sale' internet forums. PS Sorry about England's loss at the World Cup, that was the best match I've ever seen in my life.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Adaboy4z

Yamaha is a good amp. I Found a used R-N303 for the garage $60. It has Bluetooth, A&B speaker input and Network capabilities.

OP
G

Gabon3zu

Thanks a lot guys for all the suggestions..I have my eyes on few amps on eBay.
NAD C320
Cambridge Audio Azur 540A/640A
Rotel FMJ A18
Yamaha SN or RN
Marantz
Whatever will be cheaper I'll buy it and come back here to let you know how it sounds.
Thanks again ..

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks a lot guys for all the suggestions..I have my eyes on few amps on eBay.
NAD C320
Cambridge Audio Azur 540A/640A
Rotel FMJ A18
Yamaha SN or RN
Marantz
Whatever will be cheaper I'll buy it and come back here to let you know how it sounds.
Thanks again ..
Arcam?

Peterinvan

Onkyo A-9110. Keep it simple. Quality components in this integrated amp.

Drives my ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 with ease.

May Kasahara

Good morning,

for this particular use case I would go the class D route.
For a small room with no special requirements, I would go for a good TPA3255 implementation (if you don't need phono).

Of course, you can buy good used ones in your price range, but you certainly won't go wrong buying new either. You have the advantages of being able to return the product, and you also get a warranty that Average-Joe doesn't give you.

My recommendation would be a Fosi Audio TB10D. Sufficient power, new, small, with tone controls and warranty. Just my 2 cents.

OP
G

Gabon3zu

Sorry for the late response. I've been busy at work and couldn't get back here!
I decided and bought the Onkyo A-9010 B.
Paid about 150 pounds and I hope I will get it by the end of the week.
Then I will come back here and share my opinion on how all together sounds!
Thanks a lot for your help guys and have a nice day!

Mal

Anyone tried these, or the B5.2, with an Aiyima A07? I'm looking to replace my Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s, but want to make sure the replacement doesn't have the same problems! (How's the treble response?)

Mal

I like CDMC's suggestions, but I would also take a look at Sony's STDR190 and the Yamaha 202. Many on this forum like the Aiyma [A]07 ...

Have you tried the Aiyima A07 with these particular speakers?

OP
G

Gabon3zu

How'd it gone? :)
Hi again and Happy New to Everyone!!
Right.. Time to share my thoughts!
As I stated in my first post I have a small living room 5m X 4m and the Elac b5 speakers are so loud that I need to keep the volume at around 10 a clock point. The sound coming out of them is amazing, detailed, punchy, and very balanced. I couldn't turn the volume more than around 12 a clock because I'm not joking, it goes so loud and I did not want my neighbors at my door, it will not be fair for me to do it so I can't talk about it after that point.
I have to turn the bass almost all the way down as well when listening to music, they produce bass so effortlessly.
Watching movies and having the speakers connected to the tv it's a joy..bass goes so low and rumbles, very good bass quality.

All in all, it's detailed, tight, and has tons of bass, and fullness, and loud, a bit I overkill, I'm so happy with the setup I have, I'm over the moon, and.. ill keep it as a stereo setup for as much as I can!
I need to rearrange my living room to position this a bit better, I will do it when the summer comes.

Attachments

• IMG_20230107_140846.jpg
    IMG_20230107_140846.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 171

Adaboy4z

Hi again and Happy New to Everyone!!
Right.. Time to share my thoughts!
As I stated in my first post I have a small living room 5m X 4m and the Elac b5 speakers are so loud that I need to keep the volume at around 10 a clock point. The sound coming out of them is amazing, detailed, punchy, and very balanced. I couldn't turn the volume more than around 12 a clock because I'm not joking, it goes so loud and I did not want my neighbors at my door, it will not be fair for me to do it so I can't talk about it after that point.
I have to turn the bass almost all the way down as well when listening to music, they produce bass so effortlessly.
Watching movies and having the speakers connected to the tv it's a joy..bass goes so low and rumbles, very good bass quality.

All in all, it's detailed, tight, and has tons of bass, and fullness, and loud, a bit I overkill, I'm so happy with the setup I have, I'm over the moon, and.. ill keep it as a stereo setup for as much as I can!
I need to rearrange my living room to position this a bit better, I will do it when the summer comes.
That would be my suggestion spread the speakers out a little more

Top Bottom