• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for an analog equalizer.

LegionOfHell

I am looking to buy an analog equalizer, Right now I am looking at the following three models;

Bellari EQ570.
Schiit LOKI MINI+.
JDS Labs Subjective 3.

I am assuming that these give me a better bass boost than some portable amp with a bass boost switch ?

Which one should I go for ? If you have any recommendations please make them...

contium

I am looking to buy an analog equalizer, Right now I am looking at the following three models;

Bellari EQ570.
Schiit LOKI MINI+.
JDS Labs Subjective 3.

I am assuming that these give me a better bass boost than some portable amp with a bass boost switch ?

I would go with the Schiit Lokius over the Loki. The Loki's bass control is too wide IMO and causes everything to sound tubby when turned up.

Juanrdp

Bellari EQ570.
Schiit LOKI MINI+.
JDS Labs Subjective 3.

If the look is secondary i would recomend a Dbx231, you could get some very, very cheap. I'm using one and i'm very, very pleased with it.

They are pro equipment (not hi-fi) but would give you better solution in my opinion.

Btw, they are RACK mounted, not a problem (use normal conections and power) but the look is curious in a normal furniture xD (i would try at home put an photo of mine).

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Bellari EQ570.
Schiit LOKI MINI+.
JDS Labs Subjective 3.

These are tone controls, not equalizers. They will shape the sound broadly to taste, but don't expect to use them for room correction or anything like that.

But do you mean an equalizer with analog inputs and outputs, or an equalizer with analog controls? In my view, the later digital parametric equalizers are head and shoulders above the older analog equalizers, even though they have analog inputs and outputs. I'm using a Yamaha YDP2006 DSP parametric equalizer that does about 100,000 more things than these tone-control units, including shaping the timbre to taste and also providing detailed room correction.

Rick "wondering at the effort undertaken by many to avoid getting a traditional, proper preamplifier" Denney

cinemakinoeye

I would go with the Schiit Lokius over the Loki. The Loki's bass control is too wide IMO and causes everything to sound tubby when turned up.
I can confirm this. I purchased a Loki back in January and I returned it for this very reason, as I also found the bass control too wide. The shipping and restocking cost was the price of first-hand experience and I learned a lot from the ability to audition it with both headphones and speakers at home. Ideally, I think in the future I want an equalizer with Q adjustments (the width of the control) and perhaps doing this in software might be the road I take, though I like knobs and working in the analog domain, so I have my eye on the Lokius for a trial run when the shipping times approach days instead of weeks as it is now.

Top Bottom