• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Loki Mini+ Equalizer Review

Rate this Equalizer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 61 32.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 83 44.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 33 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters

jbattman1016

This review is probably the only one I've seen on ASR that I think is totally off-base, and that has led to some very strange comments by readers.

When testing an equalizer, if you want it to look weird, normalize all the graphs to 1 kHz. The right way is to keep the levels exactly the same, and see how the EQ changes the response when you twist the knobs.

Also, there is NO reason to believe that ANY equalizer will produce flat frequency response with all knobs turned to min or max. Anyone thinking it should do that just doesn't understand what an equalizer does. Flat FR with controls other then at zero is not part of the remit of any EQ.

Finally, some commenters seem to believe that the Loki should act like a room-correction device. That's like saying a wrench is defective because it's not a pair of pliers. Each tool has its purpose! For room correction, precise PEQ usually is best; for program equalization (which the Loki is designed to do), wide EQ over broad bands is the way to go, as it is harder to make sound unnatural and is easy to adjust.
I use my wrenches as hammers.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This review is probably the only one I've seen on ASR that I think is totally off-base, and that has led to some very strange comments by readers.

When testing an equalizer, if you want it to look weird, normalize all the graphs to 1 kHz. The right way is to keep the levels exactly the same, and see how the EQ changes the response when you twist the knobs.

Also, there is NO reason to believe that ANY equalizer will produce flat frequency response with all knobs turned to min or max. Anyone thinking it should do that just doesn't understand what an equalizer does. Flat FR with controls other then at zero is not part of the remit of any EQ.

Finally, some commenters seem to believe that the Loki should act like a room-correction device. That's like saying a wrench is defective because it's not a pair of pliers. Each tool has its purpose! For room correction, precise PEQ usually is best; for program equalization (which the Loki is designed to do), wide EQ over broad bands is the way to go, as it is harder to make sound unnatural and is easy to adjust.
I don't think this device should or has any chance of acting like a room correction device. I still don't think it's a good implementation though.

Top Bottom