• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Analog Headphone Equalization

SteveInEStrouds

I do get tired of so much emphasis on the minutiae of headphone frequency response measurements and what I consider to be the mistaken adherence to the Harman curve. To me, the Harman curve is a rough guide. Normal human variations of ear physiology and neurology have not been considered, nor should they be. Here is an inexpensive six band analog solution: use a Schiit Lokius between the source and the headphone amplifier. https://www.schiit.com/products/lokius Reviews at this forum and at other sites will show how a headphone that you use measures as compared to the Harmon curve. Read across to each of the frequencies of the Lokius, then look up to see any deviation, then adjust the six Lokius knobs to approximately compensate for noted variations. I use "o'clock" positions, eg, 90 degrees clockwise is 3, 90 degrees counterclockwise is -3. Live with this for a while, then make further adjustments to your taste. Do you have more than one headphones? Make a chart with headphones listed vertically and 6 columns for the frequency knobs, then log your settings for a handy re-setting chart. If you have five times the price of the Lokius available, go for the Loki-Max, which has recallable presets https://www.schiit.com/products/loki-max

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
To me, the Harman curve is a rough guide.
A rough guide to what?

Even if it's not your preference, you might want to know how your preference compares to "everybody else".

I do get tired of so much emphasis on the minutiae of headphone frequency response measurements and what I consider to be the mistaken adherence to the Harman curve.
Reviewers need a standard. What's your alternative? Ignoring frequency response? Using a flat reference? (You can do that already.)

I agree that adjusting to taste is one reason to use EQ. But it also can be used to "correct" the frequency response... Or to "correct" a recording, although that's subjective because we really don't know what the recording is supposed to sound like. With modern digital recordings, I assume the producers have created & released exactly what they wanted to create...

Or if you do audio production EQ can be "creative".

MAB

Major Contributor
Actually, focusing on the minutiae of frequency response is important since it is audible to us.
Putting aside your oddly worded concerns about mistakenly adhering to the Harman curve...
The Lokius isn't particularly cheap compared to other more competent EQ.
It isn't very performant.
It has EQ that is mystifyingly incoherent and not likely to be useful to adjust any headphone to any preference curve.
index.php

The Mini+ has even less useful EQ, if that is possible:

And the Loki Max is absurdly priced, more expensive than an RME ADI-2 (for instance), which has real EQ and real presets, plus a DAC and headphone amp.

Last edited:

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do get tired of so much emphasis on the minutiae of headphone frequency response measurements and what I consider to be the mistaken adherence to the Harman curve. To me, the Harman curve is a rough guide. Normal human variations of ear physiology and neurology have not been considered, nor should they be. Here is an inexpensive six band analog solution: use a Schiit Lokius between the source and the headphone amplifier. https://www.schiit.com/products/lokius Reviews at this forum and at other sites will show how a headphone that you use measures as compared to the Harmon curve. Read across to each of the frequencies of the Lokius, then look up to see any deviation, then adjust the six Lokius knobs to approximately compensate for noted variations. I use "o'clock" positions, eg, 90 degrees clockwise is 3, 90 degrees counterclockwise is -3. Live with this for a while, then make further adjustments to your taste. Do you have more than one headphones? Make a chart with headphones listed vertically and 6 columns for the frequency knobs, then log your settings for a handy re-setting chart. If you have five times the price of the Lokius available, go for the Loki-Max, which has recallable presets https://www.schiit.com/products/loki-max

Hello,

You are completely uninformed.

Head on over to the the AES site, pay your fees and download the research by engineers and PhD's.

When you have perused all of that head over to the Audio Precision / GRAS site and read about their test technology being specifically designed for human audiology.

OP
S

SteveInEStrouds

Semantics is a large part of the problem, and not only in this subject. The word Standard is of no absolute meaning, as there is no such thing as an absolute standard. A more appropriate word is Agreement. All testing is based on the agreement of individuals to certain predetermined parameters, and the results obtained hold only in the universe of those predetermined parameters. The Harman Curve is one such universe. OLLO Audio has a different set of results based on a somewhat different set of parameters: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0250/2508/5489/files/2022-measurements-report-v1.pdf?v=1664184121 As I stated in my first post, there also is a normal human variations of ear physiology and neurology. All headphone users also know that positioning the earcups to the front or to the back, or upwards or downwards, changes not only the perceived frequency response, but also the spatiality of the perceived image. You, as individuals, have choice as to equalize or not, and to equalize in the analog domain or in the digital. Be individuals.

BryanDavis

Thanks for sharing your alternative approach to headphone equalization with the Schiit Lokius. Your emphasis on personalization over strict adherence to the Harman curve is valuable. The Loki-Max's recallable presets sound intriguing for those seeking a higher-end solution.

Top Bottom