• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend Wide sweet spot speakers(omnidirectional)

ryanhere

I am in the market for wide dispersion/large soundstage speakers.
Basically for the enveloping sound.
My research has benn leading me to ohm walsh.
If you have heard of omnidirectional speakers that can provide the imaging and bass response of direct firing speaker please do share your thoughts.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yikes why? There are so many better more realistic speakers. Omi is just bad.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or Genelec Ones

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

muad

If you have heard of omnidirectional speakers that can provide the imaging and bass response of direct firing speaker please do share your thoughts.
Inherently omnis will not image like a direct radiator. Any ultra wide dispersion speakers are going to have room reflections of a higher amplitude. The end result is more interference, a larger more diffuse image.

Recluse-Animator

GGNTK:

https://ggntkt.de/en/model-s1/

Model-S_Front-angled-white.jpg
Model-S1-horizontal-coverage-1024x424.jpg

Alcons:

https://www.alconsaudio.com/
EgfWgFeVoAIPfmt
CRMS-products.jpg

Phillharmonic Audio:

https://www.philharmonicaudio.com/

Ascend Acoustics:

https://ascendacoustics.com/

rtowerntpair_600x_crop_center.jpg

Amphion:

https://amphion.fi/products/argon7ls/

Argon7ls-standard.png

Pi Speakers:

https://www.pispeakers.com/contents.html

SevenPi.JPG

Klipsch:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn

g700KHRN6WN-F.jpg

Martin Audio:

https://martin-audio.com/products/loudspeakers/cdd-live15

cdd-live-15-front.jpg

Morrison Audio:

https://www.morrisonaudio.com/

True 360 degree omnidirectional.

propix_20200105__DSC3446-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
OP
R

ryanhere

Thanks for the above suggestions... I will research them

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Philharmonic BMR bookshelf or tower for wide dispersion imo. Don't bother with "omnis".
Revel, comes to my mind when is about wide dispersion
Revel is on the wider side of normal.
My curved cabinet BMR monitors are notable wider dispersion than my M126be's.
It actually took awhile to get used to them.
In fact I wasn't sure about them the 1st 1 or 2 sessions. Man did they grow on me. Absolutely stunning monitors that make listening sessions impossible to stop early.
They do need a subwoofer and a 80hrz high pass for very loud listening (unless the room is smaller). For anything up to fairly loud they sound incredible full range alone.
Just stunning, stunning masterfully designed speakers that are easily worth the $2000.
I do like the M126be's ever so slightly more but they 109% require subwoofers for me and typically cost much more than the curved cab BMR monitors.

You may also try bipolar speakers. Floyd Tools himself was a fan and used them at times. I personally have historically liked bipolar speakers and am DIY designing some passive ones over the winter after I finish some new DIY actives.

jonfitch

Or Genelec Ones

You generally need flat or recessed mids as well for a sense of wide soundstage, so the performers sound further back. The problem with the Ones is excessive energy from 400-1K in the power response, which makes everything sound like its in the front row. It gives you the complete opposite psychoacoustic effect of a big soundstage.

posvibes

I had a pair of T-A Delta 30B speakers, omnidirectional in the Sonab fashion. They were tiny, downward firing bass reflex boxes, a small what looked like to me one of those rubber ringed KEF drivers used in those mid 80's Kef speakers and some mounted tweeters firing off in a skewed fashion. You had to back them up on the facing wall to reinforce the bass with the bass driver end closest to the perpendicular to the wall.

They were really sweet, big imaging but diffuse and it took some time to get my brain to stop thinking of them as forward firing. The whole image was there sometimes it wasn't and it got stuck up against the front wall but that may have be on account of the mix, but generally I really liked them. They had metal cages that sat on top to protect the drivers and but I couldn't detect if they sounded better or worse or the same with the cages on or off.

They were quite discreet, and my kids were grown up so no problems there. Although small they put out really big music.

I'm kind of surprised thinking about them now, that more designers haven't gone down that route.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

In general there are two ways to get "enveloping sound" with two-channel stereo. One way is to use the listening room to generate a lot of spectrally-correct reflections coming from all around, and omnidirectional speakers are really good at this. The sense of envelopment is fairly consistent from one recording to the next because it's primarily contributed by the playback room.

The other way is to get the ambience cues on the recording to dominate the listener's perception, rather than the ambience cues inherent to the playback room. In my opinion, and at the risk of grossly over-simplifying, this second approach involves minimizing early reflections while retaining spectrally-correct later-arriving reflections. I prefer the second approach because the sense of venue space varies from one recording to the next.

Early reflections tend to blur the imaging so omnidirectional speakers tend to not have great image precision unless they are in large rooms well away from the walls.

In my opinion the combination of some of the attributes you are looking for - good imaging, enveloping sound, and good bass - were delivered by the long-since-discontinued bipolar Mirage M1 and M3 loudspeakers.

Regarding sweet spot width, personally I favor directional speakers set up with axes criss-crossing in front of the listening area. This results in an unusually wide sweet spot via "time/intensity trading": For off-centerline listeners, the farther speaker is louder in the upper part of the frequency range where we get most of our image localization cues from, and this increased loudness approximately offsets the earlier arrival time of the near speaker, resulting in a good spread of instruments even from well off-centerline listening positions. Imo the secret to this working well is, the off-axis response of the near speaker must fall off rapidly and smoothly.

You may also try bipolar speakers. Floyd Tools himself was a fan and used them at times. I personally have historically liked bipolar speakers and am DIY designing some passive ones over the winter after I finish some new DIY actives.

I used to manufacture bipolar speakers and will probably do so again one day, as imo they offer an attractive package of attributes. At this link are some of my thoughts on the subject, which include well-behaved radiation patterns making it feasible to use the aforementioned time/intensity trading approach to widen the sweet spot.

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I used to manufacture bipolar speakers and will probably do so again one day, as imo they offer an attractive package of attributes. At this link are some of my thoughts on the subject, which include well-behaved radiation patterns making it feasible to use the aforementioned time/intensity trading approach to widen the sweet spot.
Thank you for this link, it will be extremely helpful.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you for this link, it will be extremely helpful.
Thank you!

The speakers I designed using the ideas at the link received a "Golden Ear Award" from The Absolute Sound magazine. Not that that is any indication of merit around here, but apparently someone thought they didn't suck too bad.

dep14

Ohm Walsh. They are not true Omni’s. But huge soundstage, sound great.

Sam3

Horses for courses: omnipolar speakers are going to be better to get this kind of result, which is different from the result people typically want, and which directive speakers produce. A

The Mirage Omni series combine a direct firing woofer with an omnipolar tweeter arrangement, which is probably what you're after. For example in a small room you can get away with just the Omni 150s, in medium sized or larger room you can use the Omni 150s with a subwoofer. I have these in a large open area that combines kitchen & family room and they work well for that.

Getting something that sounds "right" will be more of an exercise in the art of placing the speakers somewhere in the room that produces a pleasing result. Right distance to reflecting walls. In my case I have two marks in an archway and I can either leave them in a standard location, or swivel to optimise for when I use the family room as a projector room. It's not going to win any measurement awards in an anechoic chamber, but works really well and the sound is very pleasant.

Top Bottom