• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Receiver for 3.0(1) KEF setup?

peteroz

Hi,

After a fair amount of time listening to speakers I've decided on the KEF R3 Meta & R6 Meta for my 3.0 setup. The room I have does not allow for any rear speakers, however a subwoofer may be added later if required (most likely!)

I'm struggling with finding the best solution to power these especially since I feel that room correction will be important with the odd room acoustics. The rear and left wall are all glass and the ceiling slopes up on two angles away from the front. The rear wall is also on an angle from the front.

I was looking at the Denon x4700h, though it seems overkill given I'm only running 3.0 or 3.1. I'm not against separates, but they are probably out of the budget initially. The current x4800h is probably the upper end of the budget.

If anyone has any experience with this sort of setup I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi,

After a fair amount of time listening to speakers I've decided on the KEF R3 Meta & R6 Meta for my 3.0 setup. The room I have does not allow for any rear speakers, however a subwoofer may be added later if required (most likely!)

I'm struggling with finding the best solution to power these especially since I feel that room correction will be important with the odd room acoustics. The rear and left wall are all glass and the ceiling slopes up on two angles away from the front. The rear wall is also on an angle from the front.

I was looking at the Denon x4700h, though it seems overkill given I'm only running 3.0 or 3.1. I'm not against separates, but they are probably out of the budget initially. The current x4800h is probably the upper end of the budget.

If anyone has any experience with this sort of setup I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers
Yes pick one of the Denons, which fits your feature requirements and budget. Best bang for the buck - Streamer, DAC, Amp and DSP (Room Correction) and decent measurements - all in one box. If you need more power you can always add a poweramp later and hook it up to the Denon preouts. As for Room correction you have the choice between the built in Audyssey software, the separate MultiEQX software (ca 200USD) or since recently for the Xx800 series also Dirac (Ca 200USD or more depending on options). I would start with the Audyssey which is built in and start from there. Your next upgrade step would be a sub which has its own built in amp and therefore „takes away the load“ from the Denon puls relieves the R3 from going deep.

I use the X3700 plus separate Poweramps and MultiEQX into KEF Reference 3, KEF R3 and 2xKEF KF92 Subs.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I would be looking at either 3800H, 4800H, or A1H, since Denon just rolled out Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC) (link).
With the potential for Denon's ART technology coming next year for the same models (my speculation).

Dual subs are recommended to fully utilize DLBC.

Top Bottom