• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Real-time bidirectional 96Khz-48Khz conversion with low latency

Moon162

Hi! I am looking to build a quite complex guitar studio system and have a question on SPDIF/AES connectivity.

So, I have RME UFX+ as my main audio interface, which I run at 96Khz sample rate. It has SPDIF, AES/EBU, Adat, MADI connectors.

I am looking to buy Fractal Audion Axe-FX III guitar processoor, which only works with 48 Khz. This device has SPDIF and AES/EBU input & output connectors.

I am trying to see if I can connect Axe-FX digitally despite the difference in the sample rates.
As I understand it, a reclocking / sample rate converter device would help.

There are some good devices from Mutec, that allegedly can help, as well as the Empirical Audio Synchro-Mesh will help with 48->96 (but not the opposite).

Unfortunately I couldn't find any information on whether such real time conversion causes any latency. Something like half milliseconds or below would be fine with me, anything higher will increasingly become an issue.

Please let me know if you know any high quality conversion units that also work with low latency. If you know anything about the Mutec units, I'd also appreciate a hint.

Thanks

sleepy.sock

For your own sanity, just run everything at 48kHz. There will be no audible benefit to going to 96kHz with the excellent gear you have. You'll also want latency as low as possible if you are tracking guitar. Having 2 clock rates in your workflow is just a recipe for driving yourself nuts; clocking errors can be really subtle and hard to diagnose.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd agree with the keep it all at 48 khz idea. MUTEC says their devices are optimized for low latency so there is some, but they provide no specs. Users report not being able to detect any when using the way you want to use it. I've not used one myself.

Top Bottom