• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA to RCA or RCA to XLR - Any difference?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't seem to find the answer. Are there any differences or benefits to using one or the other?

Use case - Denon X8500H RCA preout to Purifi amp that accepts either XLR or RCA.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't seem to find the answer. Are there any differences or benefits to using one or the other?

Use case - Denon X8500H RCA preout to Purifi amp that accepts either XLR or RCA.
XLR is balanced and has a higher voltage which the Purifi probably requires to reach it's maximum output, if you need it's maximum. Also XLR is obviously a more secure connection due to locking in, also less likely to have any ground noise.

If you are running from an RCA jack on the Denon, you may as well just use RCA on the Purifi, simply because the signal won't be balanced and you lose all its attributes except for the connector locking.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
There is potential better noise rejection with a balanced input, even if fed from an unbalanced source. If you don't have any noise problems you shouldn't hear any difference. Although, one input may have more gain than the other.

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you are running from an RCA jack on the Denon, you may as well just use RCA on the Purifi, simply because the signal won't be balanced and you lose all its attributes except for the connector locking.
Common misconception of line level audio.

You can have balanced signal transmission with all its noise cancelling and GND loop breaking properties, even with RCA single-ended output.

Balanced and Differential are two separate properties of audio transmission. You can have one without the other.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning

You can have balanced signal transmission with all its noise cancelling and GND loop breaking properties, even with RCA single-ended output.

Balanced and Differential are two separate properties of audio transmission. You can have one without the other.
Ah, interesting to know, I've learnt something here.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is great to hear. I'm using Canare L-4E6S Star-Quad Audio Interconnect Cable & Neutrik-Rean NYS RCA & Neutrik Male XLR Gold Plugs.

They seem to be highly rated.

boxerfan88

I recently moved to AVR RCA out to Speaker XLR in, the sound volume is really low.

I used the normal RCA-XLR cable. Need to watch that voltage spec, and if it’s sufficient to reach your expected max. sound volume.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I have to ask. What are the right cables?
The ones with at least 3 conductors that connect Negative and GND on the RCA side.

Many cables connect GND and Negative in the XLR plug. they are regarded as the wrong/bad cables

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The ones with at least 3 conductors that connect Negative and GND on the RCA side.
I'd say those cables which connect RCA GND to XLR negative and leave the shield open at the RCA side.
Many cables connect GND and Negative in the XLR plug. they are regarded as the wrong/bad cables
Yep.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I'd say those cables which connect RCA GND to XLR negative and leave the shield open at the RCA side.
In this case i would want to have resistor and maybe even back to back diodes instead of a open.
if not, in cases some or both devices are not earth referenced the common mode voltage could be to high.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess any 2xRCA --> 2xXLR cable will do.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Yep.
If the shield is left open on one side it is inefficient.
I have to ask. What are the right cables?
- 2 wires + shield cable ("microphone" cable)
- wire RCA tip to XLR pin 2
- wire RCA shield to XLR pin 3
- shield RCA shield to XLR pin 1

Reactions: MCH

Speedskater

Major Contributor
or for
RCA source to XLR input:

RCA tip to wire A to XLR pin 2
RCA shell to wire B to XLR pin 3
XLR pin 1 to cable shield but not attached to RCA connector

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
If the shield is left open on one side it is inefficient.

- 2 wires + shield cable ("microphone" cable)
- wire RCA tip to XLR pin 2
- wire RCA shield to XLR pin 3
- shield RCA shield to XLR pin 1
Fred, this is for RCA source to XLR amp, correct?
Would the same cable be also the best for XLR source to rca amp? If not, what do you recommend for this cas?
Thanks!

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Fred, this is for RCA source to XLR amp, correct?
Would the same cable be also the best for XLR source to rca amp? If not, what do you recommend for this cas?
Thanks!
That's correct.
I am not a fan of XLR to RCA cables when not knowing how the output is working:
- if pin 3 is driven, better not to short it to ground, so I would leave it floating
- if pin 3 is not driven, it is taken as reference, so it needs to be connected to the shield

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Yep, XLR output to RCA input adapters are tricky because there are three and a half types of XLR outputs:

1] transformer ~ XLR pin 2 to RCA tip and XLR pin 3 to RCA shell.

2] passive/impedance ~ XLR pin 2 to RCA tip and XLR pin 1 to RCA shell.

3a] active/powered (with shortable outputs) ~ XLR pin 2 to RCA tip and XLR pin 3 or 1 to RCA shell.

3b] active/powered (with non-shortable outputs) ~ XLR pin 2 to RCA tip and XLR pin 1 to RCA shell.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it would be easier to give OP a link towards the cable he has to purchase.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wrote an email to WBC asking about how they wired the Canare L-4E6S Star-Quad Audio Interconnect Cable & Neutrik-Rean NYS RCA & Neutrik Male XLR Gold Plugs that I now have. I can still return them if needed (although they seem to work fine).

Top Bottom