• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Possible to increase RCA output?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't trust Audyssey, I use REW + Umik1 that i could check for SPL level for either individual speaker or in pair once i got the level dialed in, along with FR sweep, etc. But I have better result to set everything manually, if there's peak and valley in the FR I would try to EQ them out if it bothers me enough, or when absolutely necessary. For whatever reason Audyssey always ramp up my surrounds and end up overpowering the fronts.

The sweep below was when i was playing with REW and tried to compare different crossover setting for the R200 just to see how they would affect the rest of the FR
View attachment 358319
You can just turn the trims on the surrounds down a bit after running Audyssey; the editor app gives you some better options for a house curve, too. With the arbitrary settings of levels surprised you got a measurement like that, tho I'd knock them all to 0 as a starting point for setting levels.

OP
X

Xcaliber

You can just turn the trims on the surrounds down a bit after running Audyssey; the editor app gives you some better options for a house curve, too. With the arbitrary settings of levels surprised you got a measurement like that, tho I'd knock them all to 0 as a starting point for setting levels.

"a bit" ain't gonna cut it, even at -12dB (that's the lowest dB I can go on this Denon) was borderline too much when the front wasn't loud enough. I don't have any FR or tuning issue, the one and only problem i'm trying to mitigate now is the front running on an external amp isn't loud enough and they are being overpowered by the surround. lol

If i skip the brand new external amp i just received and run the front L+R through the Denon internal amp, they are fine.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried that power amp maxed out on level? What is its input sensitivity rating? At best that amp is only going to provide 3dB spl advantage.

A 24dB swing "correction" on front to surround would be excessive and annoying. Audyssey could at least help level match the external amp to the avr's amps...

What are the speakers involved?

OP
X

Xcaliber

Have you tried that power amp maxed out on level? What is its input sensitivity rating? At best that amp is only going to provide 3dB spl advantage.

A 24dB swing "correction" on front to surround would be excessive and annoying. Audyssey could at least help level match the external amp to the avr's amps...

What are the speakers involved?

external amp is maxed out on the gain. LOL It has the same hypex NC252MP tested by Amir here But yea, about 2~3dB gain is the most I could get from it (as I have anticipated), over the Denon's 80w.

ideally, you want to match the input level to the gain.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
external amp is maxed out on the gain. LOL It has the same hypex NC252MP tested by Amir here But yea, about 2~3dB gain is the most I could get from it (as I have anticipated), over the Denon's 80w.

ideally, you want to match the input level to the gain.
The attenuators are maxed out or the gain setting is at its highest? Or both?

OP
X

Xcaliber

The attenuators are maxed out or the gain setting is at its highest? Or both?
Both.

It doesn't look like gain/level matching is important to most people on this thread, or at least it seems like it's at the bottom of their list, but if you're curious you can read more about it here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...opagate-through-my-system.33358/#post-1165118

I know you're trying to help, i appreciate it and thanks man. But don't worry about it i'll figure it out, i always do. ;)

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Both.

It doesn't look like gain/level matching is important to most people on this thread, or at least it seems like it's at the bottom of their list, but if you're curious you can read more about it here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...opagate-through-my-system.33358/#post-1165118

I know you're trying to help, i appreciate it and thanks man. But don't worry about it i'll figure it out, i always do. ;)
Just trying to understand setup to start. Am familiar with gain structure.

Top Bottom