• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA Cables

Xacav:

Hello Everyone, I hope everyone is having a great time. Thanks to this forum I bought my first headphones the HD6xx and the Magni Heresy Dac. Unfortunately, I did not know, I needed RCA cables for my setup to work. I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations that will serve my setup well. My budget is 20 dollars.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What country are you buying from?

Emlin

Hello Everyone, I hope everyone is having a great time. Thanks to this forum I bought my first headphones the HD6xx and the Magni Heresy Dac. Unfortunately, I did not know, I needed RCA cables for my setup to work. I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations that will serve my setup well. My budget is 20 dollars.

Just buy the cheapest that you can find that look reasonably well made. There's no magic about copper.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
For that budget, I have had good luck with these:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5346

FYI, Heresy is just an amp. You are going to need a DAC or some other source like a CD player, phone, computer, turntable with phono preamp, to use it.

KaiserSoze

The website is weird which of the stereo cables do I need

You don't need to spend anywhere near that much to get perfectly good cables. The primary differences are with the shielding and the flexibility. Just find some cables that don't look ridiculously cheap, that have solid connectors and that use braided shielding (that you can see because the plastic on the outside is clear). A number of years ago I found some very high quality RCA cables with the GE brand. This was probably twenty years ago, but you can still find them if you search for "GE Ultra Pro RCA cables". If you have a subwoofer, an easy way to tell the good cables from the bad ones is to connect two or three of them together using those little couples, so that the total length is ten to twenty feet, and if they don't pick up 60 Hz hum when run alongside some house wiring (lamp wiring with lamp on, or power cables for audio with the gear on, etc.), they're every bit as good as the most expensive cables you can buy. Assuming they aren't too stiff. Of course there are plenty of people who will welcome you to spend as much money as you like.

Note that back when component video was the current improvement over S-video, there were a lot of cables made for component video. The only difference between these cables and audio cables is that you get three of them instead of two of them. And instead of red and white markings you get red, green and blue markings. Prettier than red and white. Red and white is for fishing lures. If you run across some component video cables at a bargain price, all you have to do, to turn it into stereo audio cable, is to strip off one of the three cables.

EDIT: In the past I have bought cables that appeared to be high quality but that turned out to be bad because when used with subwoofer they picked up hum. They had high-quality connectors and were nice and thick. But they were black and I couldn't tell anything about the construction, the shielding in particular. If the package has an exploded image that shows the construction and you can see braided shielding, then you probably don't need for the outer plastic to be clear.

adi518

Get these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFNSFZT

I have a pair and they are really well made and nowhere near overpriced IMO.

Edit: Magni Heresy is an AMP not a DAC. You need a DAC first and then you can interconnect the DAC and AMP with these RCA cables.

Last edited:

GDK

Forum Donor
While not disagreeing in principle, these particular cables are very stiff, I have them and not overly impressed with the overall feel.
I agree. They play havoc with small DAC/HPA stacks.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Get this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFNSFZT

I have a pair and they really well made and nowhere near overpriced IMO.

I've got some of these and like them too. They're over the OP's $20 budget. My RCAs are longer though so not sure about the short ones.
I agree. They play havoc with small DAC/HPA stacks.

I got some of the XLRs and they are clocked wrong for my Schiit stack and don't twist enough to be useable, so I am using some cheap 6 footers I had laying around.

Top Bottom