• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 interface question

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Actually, no I didn't but John kindly added an option to sum the mic responses for virtual balanced second mic to REW for me. Still, the results are suboptimal although very close to the actual mix. I will work on your suggestion now. Thank you so much for this.

you really just have to think of the mixer like a mixer. the mixer has several inputs and a stereo output (which becomes a virtual input via loopback). two mono inputs centered will produce a copied mix on both channels (with gain shared). panning both to one side will add them both on top of each other gainwise (might clip).

Reactions: OCA

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Think I already know the answer to this one: The only channels where output volume is controlled are channels 1-2, aka the "monitor channels". channels 3-4 just output at full. Accordingly if anyone wanted to use this thing a strictly a 4 channel DAC, they would have to control "master volume" on the input stage, either digital or analog, and set all four output channels on the M4 to full output. Correct?

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Think I already know the answer to this one: The only channels where output volume is controlled are channels 1-2, aka the "monitor channels". channels 3-4 just output at full. Accordingly if anyone wanted to use this thing a strictly a 4 channel DAC, they would have to control "master volume" on the input stage, either digital or analog, and set all four output channels on the M4 to full output. Correct?
True but the problem is not the relative volumes. It doesn't mix the channels at all. You get two seperate outputs with different volumes.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True but the problem is not the relative volumes. It doesn't mix the channels at all. You get two seperate outputs with different volumes.
Then you need to volume match channels 1-2 with 3-4. I know it's harder than I'm making it sound, but it you put something like Dirac multichannel in front of it and have it run the same level test tone to each channel you could tweak and tune it until you had an acceptable (within 1 db) match.

dasdoing

Major Contributor

I think he is replying to OP

Do you mean you still couldn't figure it out?

looking at this again you might be misunderstanding how you mix inputs 1 and 2?
main 1-2 mix (L-R) is the source mix of the loopback input.
on the third screen, we see this mix selected. there only the faders of Mic_1 and Mic_2 should be uppered to mix them. Computer USM Main_1 is probably a loopback of the PC output and should be all down.

Reactions: OCA
Top Bottom