• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question for Vintage Amp experts...

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I have a Pioneer SA-7700. It's in nice condition and seems to work fine but the other day I noticed that if I pause the music and get close to the speaker I can hear a constant soft sound like if you whispered "puh puh puh puh". It's very low level and certainly not audible with music playing but I wonder if it's indicative of a more serious issue. I have another amp and switching over to that there is perfect silence. I like the Pioneer more because it's sharper-looking lol...

Any thoughts on what might cause that?

MetalDaze

At first I thought this may just be the noise floor of your receiver. But then I began to wonder

-is it a constant level of nose?

-is it volume dependent?

My first thought if the level is constant, is that some of the windings in the laminated power transformer core becoming "de-laminated" with age and vibrate causing a hum as power is transferred across it. Usually you will hear this coming from the chassis of the affected component. But the way you describe the "puh puh puh" - in my head makes an undulating sound. Which I correlate with the familiar 60Hz main power cycle.

If it's volume dependent then it may be something feeding into your receiver that's causing the noise, whether it be 60hz mains hum from single ended cables being in proximity to a magnetic field source, or something of the like.

Components can operate for a long time even when the power transformer begins to hum, due to age or other factors like QC or abuse. I don't think it's indicative of a catastrophic issue. But it may be a good time to get in there and have a look for yourself. If you aren't so technically inclined a reputable repair shop should be able to tell you exactly what's wrong with it. If you want to keep the unit it may be time to have the power supply caps checked and changed if out of spec or leaking, along with checking and possibly replacing the power transformer for the spurious tones you're hearing at the speaker.

As I'm sure you know, start small and slow and then move onto bigger potential issues during troubleshooting. Sometimes the silliest thing can make a big difference.

Cheers!

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Pioneer SA-7700. It's in nice condition and seems to work fine but the other day I noticed that if I pause the music and get close to the speaker I can hear a constant soft sound like if you whispered "puh puh puh puh". It's very low level and certainly not audible with music playing but I wonder if it's indicative of a more serious issue. I have another amp and switching over to that there is perfect silence. I like the Pioneer more because it's sharper-looking lol...

Any thoughts on what might cause that?

Paging @restorer-john ! He'll probably know. You might also want to ask over at the audiokarma.org forums - that place is filled with super-knowledgeable folks when it comes to vintage equipment.

I am not one of those experts (at all!), but from your initial description I would wonder about either some kind of EMI/RF interference, or perhaps the amplifier is oscillating - the seemingly cyclical "puh puh puh" sort of sounds like the "motorboat" description people sometimes give when an amp is oscillating.

OP
Sgt. Ear Ache

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Not a volume dependent noise. Just a constant soft "pop" sound at very low volume - only hearable if I'm within maybe a foot of the speaker. I definitely thought about some sort of interference being picked up as that's sort of what it sounds like...

MetalDaze

Since it's not volume dependent that's a step in the right direction. That would indicate that the source of interference is constant and low level as you hear it. But with your other amp not having these symptoms (assuming being hooked up in the same location and manner as the Pioneer). It leans towards something internal with the 7700.

I am familiar with equipment like this, but not an expert either. I agree with @tmtomh, I'm a member of Audiokarma and there's lots of good threads there on vintage equipment as well as members who may be able to offer more specific insight for your receiver.

PS: reading the response after mine got me interested and reading the wiki page on parasitic oscillation. I think to confirm this you'd need a scope hooked up to the outputs to see exactly what is happening But an impedance mismatch in the power supply, adjacent I/O leads or poor grounds may all be potential causes.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom