• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Vintage Integrated/Receiver?

ModLang

Hi Everyone - I know this may strike some as an annoying topic, but I know there’s a still a fair amount of knowledge if not appreciation in the ranks for these units, and could use a bit of feedback. Below is a list of units I own and have accumulated. Simply put, I’ll be in a transitional period for the next couple years and some of these must go. Based on experience, specs, features (mono switch, onboard phono, etc.), and other factors (like heat, for instance) how would you rank these? All are in very good condition and most have been recapped. Again, just a question and many thanks in advance!

Mcintosh 4100
NAD 3155
Pioneer SA-8800
Marantz 2230
Yamaha A-1000
NAD 326bee (not vintage necessarily)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
...I don't know enough about them and I wouldn't choose for someone else even if I did. :p

OP
M

ModLang

Understood but I’m not asking for someone else to choose, just what the more experienced folks feel/think. These are pretty well-known units and if there’s one thing the testing in ASR reveals, it’s that there were some pretty good designs used in the past, and some pretty good stuff inside.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

radix

Major Contributor
OP
M

ModLang

Thanks. Not too worried about the tuner aspect. Also not too worried about power, as I tend to listen at moderate levels, but it’s certainly a factor in how many people would respond.

As for the MAC, yeah it’s got the rep but I don’t know that it’s favored vs say the Pioneer, which I believe has better on-paper specs but is sometimes criticized for being over-engineered.

radix

Major Contributor
Thanks. Not too worried about the tuner aspect. Also not too worried about power, as I tend to listen at moderate levels, but it’s certainly a factor in how many people would respond.

As for the MAC, yeah it’s got the rep but I don’t know that it’s favored vs say the Pioneer, which I believe has better on-paper specs but is sometimes criticized for being over-engineered.

My understanding is the 4100 is easy to repair and has good protection circuits and a nice 5-band EQ. I have a C30 preamp and use the 5-band EQ and loudness control. The 4100 also has a loudness control, which is nice to adjust the tone for your volume. The 4100 is a generation before the C30 (78-85 vs 85-87, the 4200 would be contemporaneous with the C30). Looking at the service manual, it does look like the 4100 uses quad JFET switches (not relays), which probably makes it pretty good in operation. The C30 uses discrete JFET, the 4100 uses quad JFET switches between inputs. In my limited experience, Mcintosh gear performs as rated in the specs.

With anything of that vintage, you should either get it from a good source that properly serviced and measured it (e.g. audioclassics.com) or be prepared to test it yourself or have someone test it and likely re-cap at least some of it.

OP
M

ModLang

Check to all of the above insofar as service. The units are tip-top.

saberger0357

The 4100 should bring a lot more on the used market. I owned one and thought it was good enough, but it never quite wowed me like other Mc pieces that I own. Was a bit to sterile for my tastes. I'm partial to the SA-8800 and 2230, especially if in top shape and restored. Both great sounding pieces and should always hold their value, if not appreciate. I've heard good things about the 326BEE. The others I'm not really familiar with.

OP
M

ModLang

Thanks. The 8800 is a gorgeous amp. The 9800 gets more respect all around, of course, but those that know their innards (which are similar) tend to be pretty divided on that series of amps.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you checked out the audiokarma.org forums? They specialize in vintage gear and there's a wealth of knowledge there.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The Pioneer SA-8800 is one to keep, as long as the VFD is in good condition and bright. If it's becoming dim (it's a Futaba and they can go all of a sudden), let it go too. The 8800 is more reliable than the 9800 and a whole lot easier to repair.

The NAD is remote and newer and probably the other one I'd keep.

The rest, sell them while prices are still high for classic vintage.

If they've been 'recapped' the job could be excellent or poor and everything in between. The value may have been affected negatively, especially if people have been poking around with semiconductor replacements as well. Personally, I won't touch anything that someone else has been inside as I would often spend twice as long fixing the mess they made.

OP
M

ModLang

Nice - thank you, John. The fluoroscan is still pretty bold and bright incidentally. But assuming they all go, then what beyond the NAD 326? I wonder if a current Rotel is something you would support?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
But assuming they all go, then what beyond the NAD 326? I wonder if a current Rotel is something you would support?

Look I love Rotel gear. It's proven to be extremely reliable over the years. Clean looks, solid design and conservative ratings.

You've also got to consider you already own the NAD. It's a very competent amp and it likely would sell for less than half of what an equivalent new Rotel would cost, so you'd be throwing more money at it, just for the experience of something shiny and new.

Last edited:
OP
M

ModLang

I see your point 100% but if all I had was the 326, I might grab something a bit better, like a Rotel, possibly Yamaha, if the right opportunity arose.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I see your point 100% but if all I had was the 326, I might grab something a bit better, like a Rotel, possibly Yamaha, if the right opportunity arose.
I've been trying to understand what you mean by "better" in this context. Also, I don't understand why you have so many "almost the same" products. I guess any one of them would be ok for the period you are on the move. So you might find that you would be fine if you put the names into a hat a picked one out.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know how we can evaluate anything you wouldn't know owning them. One school is keep one that serves your needs while selling those that net the most money. If you need or have a use for the money. Another would be to pick one most reliable, easiest to repair etc. My pick in that case would be the McIntosh.

OP
M

ModLang

People who have worked on these units and/or know them technically have a different perspective than I might otherwise. John’s one of those guys I’m guessing, and if there are others it would be interesting to hear from them.

OP
M

ModLang

PS - that’s also why I’m not asking on audiokarma. Great community but they seem to have more entrenched subjective biases I don’t see here on ASR.

Top Bottom