• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC Converter/Amp with bluetooth that can be disabled

Eonmark

Hi everyone,
I'm new guy here and i have a question in regard to DAC converters with Bluetooth.
Are there some cheap options ( up to £150 ) that can have bluetooth function disabled if required and have usb c for example, used instead to connect to smartphone or laptop for music streaming?
I have no issue to be able to use bluetooth from time to time, but i don't want that option on all the time and it's difficult for me to find a product that has a clear information about the ability to turn the bluetooth off and use wire instead if desired.

This kind of converter is going to be my temporary option as i will want to have some decent av receiver later, but for now i need something not to expensive to stream hd music.
I have a vintage amp, an Optonica SM 3636 and Focal Chora 816 speakers and would like to enjoy hd music without bombarding myself and family with the constant bluetooth field.

Any sugestions appreciated.

It seems to me most any Bluetooth enabled device would shut down that function unless it had been selected as the source--but I may be wrong.

OP
E

Eonmark

It seems to me most any Bluetooth enabled device would shut down that function unless it had been selected as the source--but I may be wrong.
I thought so too, but this seems to be not the case.
For example, an Xduoo xq-50 pro2 Dac is broadcasting bluetooth signal all the time and from what i have read, most of those DAC amps/converters do it too. I understand that they are advertised as Bluetooth Dacs, but if wire is an option, bluetooth should interchangably be too...

OP
E

Eonmark

The Topping DX5 I have can be disabled on the setup menu.
Thank you for your help.
I will have a look into their line of dacs, i may find something within the price range i'm looking into.

OP
E

Eonmark

Why do you want Bluetooth disabled?
Don't want to bath in the evergrowing, overlaping emfs, regardles of some being claimed low or nonionizing.
Just want to have a simple option to be able to control an exposure whenever i can, and at my own home, i should be able to anyways.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't want to bath in the evergrowing, overlaping emfs, regardles of some being claimed low or nonionizing.
Just want to have a simple option to be able to control an exposure whenever i can, and at my own home, i should be able to anyways.
Well, that's a challenge! Hard to avoid EM radiation in the 21st century. I hope you live far out in the country, far from cell phone towers, WiFi, and power lines, or live in a Faraday cage!

OP
E

Eonmark

Well, that's a challenge! Hard to avoid EM radiation in the 21st century. I hope you live far out in the country, far from cell phone towers, WiFi, and power lines, or live in a Faraday cage!
I got used to these kind of answers.
It's not about avoiding it alltogether, as rulling all the negative aspects of so called humanity's achievements would be impossible within the logitstics of the current sophisticated system, but rather about minimizing the impact on health and wellbeing especially when it comes to the things or habbits that are within our control to some degree.
Seems to me, that in opinion of many, it is either total embracement of everything new, as long as it's advertised as comfortable, convinient and luxurious, as something normal, natural, and everything else, any kind of alteration or, God forbid - any kind of questioning, needs to be automatically classed as something wird...

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not about avoiding it alltogether, as rulling all the negative aspects of so called humanity's achievements would be impossible within the logitstics of the current sophisticated system, but rather about minimizing the impact on health and wellbeing especially when it comes to the things or habbits that are within our control to some degree.
Seems to me, that in opinion of many, it is either total embracement of everything new, as long as it's advertised as comfortable, convinient and luxurious, as something normal, natural, and everything else, any kind of alteration or, God forbid - any kind of questioning, needs to be automatically classed as something wird...
I'm not criticizing your choices. You should move to Vermont. We have more cell phone deadzones than most 3rd world countries.

Although if I were ranking EM sources in order of concern, BT would be near the bottom because of its low power. The smartphone in my pocket, with 5G and WIFI, would be near the top.

unpluggged

Why then do you want a DAC with Bluetooth if you are not going to ever use it?

Top Bottom