• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

Palfim

No clue if this is related but I had my Hiby R5 in the car and the battery was running low so plugged the USB C cable into the unit and the 12V socket in my car to charge and immediately heard a buzzing sound-I unplugged the USB C cable from the R5 and it stopped, so it appears some of these devices don't like to be charged while they are in operation.
Exactly...unless you have a clean and properly grounded socket, cables, every device in the chain actually....which should be hard or impossible, to achieve proper grounding in a car ?

Out of curiousity I tested some other headphones while charging:
  1. AKG K701 : No buzz/humm whatsoever...totally clean while charging. It's my least sensitive headphone...needs alot of current.
  2. Blessing 2 :No humm whatsoever , even on unbalanced . And this one has almost same sensitivy as the fh3, I think slightly more
  3. Ananda, balanced : I hear about 0.5% of the charging humm of the fh3 , you have to listen really hard in a quiet room. Can't hear it while playing music.
  4. Still kind of a pity, since it's my favourite headphone by far and I thought I had found the perfect combination of headphones and great bt amp. Going to try a different cable and a different power socket. Btw the Ananda is really easy to drive almost like an IEM.
  5. Fiio FH3 : well you heard the full story : I get so much humm you can't really listen while on a power socket . And Qudelix was explicitly promoting that functionality, using it from a power socket won't wear the battery down, increasing the lifetime by only powering through usb and not touching the battery as soon as it's fully charged.
  6. Sennheiser HD660S : Highest impendance of the lot, no humming at all.
From my observations it seems that the harder to drive headphones tend to not humm while charging or by the q5k just beeing plugged in for longtime use.. Only the very sensitive and or low ohm ones can humm some , in rare cases even alot! FH3 and Ananda, the Ananda is ok as is , maybe because the balanced cable eliminates the noise 99%. The Blessing 2 is an exception maybe because I got a good upgraded cable with shielding.?

Anyways the problem is not the qudelix , but proper grounding of your wall sockets. A friend of mine had that problem, he went to the basement and put a long metal stick from the main power line of the house into the ground...since then every socket sounds audible better, I'm otherwisebreally bad in noticing small improvements, but THAT one was a large improvement ! Much much cleaner

ehabheikal

I really want a SOTA level bluetooth dongle. has the btr5 ever been tested i can not find any measurements online

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Did amir really say the DAC would have gotten a failing grade?
In comparison to desktop SOTA DACS, yes. However, I challenge you to detect any audible difference between the Qudelix and any $100 or so desktop dac.

With my HE400i using Qudelix balanced vs. same using an LG V20 quad DAC into a Liquid Spark, I can't. And the Qudelix PEQ lets me apply Amir's corrections, making it superior IMO.

Also remember Amir's Qudelix review still showed DAC THD was 90db down, far lower than any headphone is going to be.

In short, for me, the Qudelix DAC 'performance' is a complete non-issue.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In comparison to desktop SOTA DACS, yes. However, I challenge you to detect any audible difference between the Qudelix and any $100 or so desktop dac.

With my HE400i using Qudelix balanced vs. same using an LG V20 quad DAC into a Liquid Spark, I can't. And the Qudelix PEQ lets me apply Amir's corrections, making it superior IMO.

Also remember Amir's Qudelix review still showed DAC THD was 90db down, far lower than any headphone is going to be.

In short, for me, the Qudelix DAC 'performance' is a complete non-issue.
Your post is appreciated, I ordered one a few days ago and can't wait to get it! It's easy to get buyers remorse when you re-read something like that from Amir... At least for me.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
can't wait to get it!
Extremely happy with mine! Just keep in mind, if you have inefficient hp, going balanced gives twice the voltage, 4x the power. Definitely an mprovement in headroom and bass impactfullness with my he400i over 3.5mm/se

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Extremely happy with mine! Just keep in mind, if you have inefficient hp, going balanced gives twice the voltage, 4x the power. Definitely an mprovement in headroom and bass impactfullness with my he400i over 3.5mm/se
Thanks, I'm in headphone analysis paralysis at the moment. Never been a big headphone guy but I am turning the corner. The $9 Sony headphones with the $9 Apple dongle and Amir's EQ has blown my mind to possibilities. I also have an audio Technica ATH-50 that's been in my closet for 10 years... I broke that out with Oratory's EQ. There's some power there. I am highly considering the Hifiman HE-4xx which I think is in the ballpark of the 400i? my use case is to be able to lay in bed or sit on the couch or have mobility and use the 5k as a PEQ DAC Amplifier between my phone and my headphones.

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I'm in headphone analysis paralysis at the moment. Never been a big headphone guy but I am turning the corner. The $9 Sony headphones with the $9 Apple dongle and Amir's EQ has blown my mind to possibilities. I also have an audio Technica ATH-50 that's been in my closet for 10 years... I broke that out with Oratory's EQ. There's some power there. I am highly considering the Hifiman HE-4xx which I think is in the ballpark of the 400i? my use case is to be able to lay in bed or sit on the couch or have mobility and use the 5k as a PEQ DAC between my phone and my headphones.
Was considering adding the JDS Labs Atom amplifier to use with the 5K for extra headroom at the desktop but maybe that's not even needed with balanced cables?

ririt

Was considering adding the JDS Labs Atom amplifier to use with the 5K for extra headroom at the desktop but maybe that's not even needed with balanced cables?
Is it possible to do so? I do not think that the 5K can be used as a « DAC only » device. Can it be confirmed by a current 5K user?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to do so? I do not think that the 5K can be used as a « DAC only » device. Can it be confirmed by a current 5K user?
I thought I read a post by someone who was doing that. Would you simply use a 3.5 mm male to male stereo cable between the 5K and the Atom amplifier?

ririt

I thought I read a post by someone who was doing that. Would you simply use a 3.5 mm male to male stereo cable between the 5K and the Atom amplifier?
It owuld be great if anyone can confirm this feature. As @Acerun I will be interested in ....

mSpot

See this thread in the Qudelix forum: https://qudelix.discussion.community/post/3-5-lineout-10920177
When you connect the 3.5 output to an amplifier input, because of the impedance the Qudelix will operate like a preamp. It doesn't have a fixed line level output and you need to adjust the Qudelix volume to a level that works well with the amplifier. Make sure it isn't set too high which would overload the amplifier input.

ririt

Thanks @mSpot for this info. I missed it when I had a look on their website. Did you experience it yourself?

mSpot

Thanks @mSpot for this info. I missed it when I had a look on their website. Did you experience it yourself?
I have not done it with a 5K but in the past I have done something similar with an ES100. The principle is the same.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A surprising, and puzzling result for sure. Anyone have any idea how that can be? The only reason I can think of is this answer Qudelix support gave to a question on optimum sample rate settings on their forum (my emphasis):

If I understand this correctly, that means when playing a 44.1kHz file for example with the Qudelix 5K's sample rate set to 96kHz (as was the case for this review's measurements), the source device feeding the 5K will upsample, which may reduce SINAD - by how much is dependent on the quality of the resampler in the source device used and has nothing to do with the performance of the Qudelix. If it was correctly set to 44.1kHz sample rate a higher SINAD for the 5K over USB might have been recorded. I presume this wasn't an issue for the LDAC measurement however (the dashboard shows the correct 44.1kHz sample rate), so the 5K's USB DAC SINAD when set to the sample rate of the source (or to 44.1/48/88.2/96KHz mode which I believe is an option) could in fact be higher than the LDAC SINAD (as would be expected). Unless it's measured again set at 44.1kHz, how much higher the true SINAD may be if this is correct is unknown however.
So do you want to set the Qudelix USB DAC FS to 44.1/48/88.2/96KHz or just 44.1?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Qudelix app already has headroom set for the equalizer, switchable between -6 dB and -12 dB (under Equalizer > Option > Headroom), so you can take this into account when setting the negative preamp gain in order to get more volume. So in your case you can just set the headroom to -6 dB and the preamp gain to -1 dB (giving a total of -7 dB), resulting in 6 dB more (doubling) volume.
Are we sure this is right? Because there is built in -6 or -12dB then we need to adjust the preamp setting in EQ based on a -6 or -12 starting point?

bobbooo

Major Contributor
So do you want to set the Qudelix USB DAC FS to 44.1/48/88.2/96KHz or just 44.1?

The former should work. You can check if it does by making sure the sample rate in the Qudelix app under Input > State matches the sample rate of your input device / track. If it doesn't, just change it to that specific sample rate in the Qudelix app.

Are we sure this is right? Because there is built in -6 or -12dB then we need to adjust the preamp setting in EQ based on a -6 or -12 starting point?

Yes. Although you only 'need' to make this adjustment if there isn't enough volume for you with the EQ profile's default preamp.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn’t this thing give enough power so it doesn’t really matter?
I have no clue, I just plug in the magic formulas and get great PEQ on desktop via Peace. Just wanted to know if I should subtract 6dB as the starting point for the preamplifier setting in Qudelix

Top Bottom