• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

kysa

What's the default target for AutoEQ preset in Qudelix? Can we change the default target chosen for headphone's measurements from the AutoEQ DB to something else?

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What's the default target for AutoEQ preset in Qudelix? Can we change the default target chosen for headphone's measurements from the AutoEQ DB to something else?
I would also be very interested to know that! :D

Besides the target, the question is also about what AutoEQ optimization parameters they use. I suspect sniffing the web traffic between the App/Cr Extension and AutoEQ would show how Qudelix “queries” the AutoEQ website, but haven’t had the energy to explore that further…

I would love to see Qudelix integrating an AutoEQ tab—really the AutoEQ web interface—into their App/Cr Ext. So we could choose what target, what optimization parameter we want, exactly how AutoEQ works… :cool:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Believe it's Harman target with a couple of dB reduction to that in the bass shelf. Don't believe you can change that in devices /apps that use those eq profiles.

kysa

SPK EQ breaks Sound pressure Volume reported in the Input section :(

kysa

SPK EQ breaks Sound pressure Volume reported in the Input section :(

My "default receiver profile" Impedance/Sensitivity value in Volume > Option matches my current IEM. However, when i turn on and set the exact same value for the custom profile with 0 EQ adjustments, the reported Sound Pressure volume gets lowered quite a bit, while the actual volume stays the same. Can someone with a 711 coupler do some measurements to confirm my finding?

Misleading volume level is a huge downside to me personally.

Interestingly enough, 20 Band PEQ option with 0 EQ adjustments now also reports a heavily misleading number, 20+ dB lower. I can totally see someone accidentally blowing their ears off. Yikes.

Last edited:

CedarX

Forum Donor
Believe it's Harman target with a couple of dB reduction to that in the bass shelf. Don't believe you can change that in devices /apps that use those eq profiles.
Are you sure?

Here is an example with "1Custom02", the first one in the AutoEQ list:

Q5K SPK PEQ:
1709929480841.png

In AutoEQ, selecting Qudelix 5K as the target equalizer App and everything else as "default",I got:

AutoEQ Harman In-Ear 2019:
1709929956696.png

AutoEQ Harman over-ear 2018:
1709929884855.png

They are not exactly the same...

And you're correct, there is no way to control & adjust what the QUdelix App does with AutoEQ.

Last edited:

kysa

Are you sure?

Q5K SPK PEQ:
View attachment 355096

In AutoEQ, selecting Qudelix 5K as the target equalizer App, I got:

View attachment 355104

View attachment 355103

An you're correct, ther eis no way to control & adjust what the QUdelix App does with AutoEQ.

It defaults to 5128 inspired target, which is called AutoEQ in-ear.

/tree/master/targets/

CedarX

Forum Donor
It defaults to 5128 inspired target, which is called AutoEQ in-ear.

/tree/master/targets/
It does not appear to be exactly the same either… Some slightly different default parameters?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure?

Q5K SPK PEQ:
View attachment 355096

In AutoEQ, selecting Qudelix 5K as the target equalizer App and everything else as "default",I got:

View attachment 355104

View attachment 355103

And you're correct, there is no way to control & adjust what the QUdelix App does with AutoEQ.
I believe the black table you quote is the same as from the preferred profiles on the github autoeq pages https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results
albeit with the filters differently ordered. Not the autoeq app.

For over ears I believe jaako has set the magic to match a Harman target with reduced bass. At least it used to. May have changed.
Screenshot_20240308-211429.png

Last edited:

CedarX

Forum Donor
I believe the black table you quote is the same as from the preferred profiles on the github autoeq pages https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results
albeit with the filters differently ordered. Not the autoeq app.

For over ears I believe jaako has set the magic to match a Harman target with reduced bass. At least it used to. May have changed.
Thanks for clarifying! I didn't know that...
The black table I included above is what the Qudelix App/Cr Ext. loads from AutoEQ. It is indeed the preferred profiles from the result folder in @jaakkopasanen Github page.

CedarX

Forum Donor
Oh yeah, you’re correct! My bad! I checked the Qudelix forum, and yes, it only works with the 2.5mm bal. output. I also checked with a 2.5 TRRS cable and yes, the Active Ground option is enabled.

So you need a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm (or anything else that is single end L/R) adapter.

I have a 2.5/3.5 adapter for my E1DA PowerDAC. It should work with the 5K Active Ground mode…
Follow-up on the Active Ground feature with headphones...

The E1DA PowerDAC 2.5/3.5mm adapter does not work: the 2.5mm TRRS is wired L+ / R+ / [L- R-] / [L- R-].
But I found an adapter that did work :):
Q5K ActiveGround Adapter.jpg

The 2.5mm TRRS is wired [L- R-] / R+ / L+ / [L- R-], so it ties the L- and R- together as needed for Active Ground.

I tested the feature with a Moondrop Para, a low-impedance headphones (8 Ohms, 101 dB/Vrms per manufacturer spec.), where Active Ground could make a difference due to the additional current capabilities. The Para cable is a regular 3.5mm TRS to dual L & R 3.5mm. That's what I used with the 5K through the above adapter.

Subjectively, the 5K/Para combo handled better a large bass shelf on top of my current PEQ (which already includes a bass shelf). But in normal use, with my PEQ for that HP and at my typical listening levels, I'm not sure I could reliably tell the difference... I would need to do (a lot!) more testing or do actual measurements...
I have not tested Para with a balanced cable, but I anticipate it would be identical: it should have the same current capabilities as Active Ground, with the additional benefit of a higher voltage swing--not needed in the case of a low-impedance HP.
So, Active Ground could be a good option for "current-hungry" headphones when a balanced (differential) connection is not possible (due to, for example, the headphones wiring).

I have not tested Active Ground when using the 5K as a preamp: the feature could help avoid/alleviate ground loops. I would also love to see if Active Ground has any (positive) effect on SINAD results--something I could attempt to measure if I ever find the time and motivation... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, I played with "active ground" too. I used this adapter.

I guess it "works" in that the amp doesn't cut off (turn off active ground and it does). However, it did not seem to affect the max SPL, at least on my DCA Aeon 2 Noires. I guess if I end up using them as portable (admittedly unlikely; the fold is a neat parlor trick but headphones really need to fold flat to be suitable for travel) I will source a 2.5mm TRRS cable.

Top Bottom