• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Q re: Harman "more bass" group

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty sure I fall into the smaller portion of the research, "predominantly younger and make" IIRC, that prefer more bass. However, so far I can't find what that curve actually looks like. Does anyone happen to have a link?

Following that, is it difficult to implement said bass+ curve into something like Wavelet/AutoEQ based on what's already available in the archive?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not that well informed about the specifics of more bass Harman curve but I’d wager you’re only moving the bass frequencies up a few dB from the actual harman curve.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
somewhere between the red and green dotted response when you feel Harman is too bassy.
Somewhere between the black line and the upper grey area for bassheads.

non harman.png

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor
somewhere between the red and green dotted response when you feel Harman is too bassy.
Somewhere between the black line and the upper grey area for bassheads.

View attachment 161137

Firstly, it should be noted that this is for IEMs. Did you add those red and green curves? If so, you should make that clear. The evidence from Harman's blind tests I've seen does not support preferences for such low bass shelves on IEMs. The lowest preferred bass boost was around 5 dB from this study using a bass control method of adjustment (which matches with the lower bound of the grey area above):

Screenshot_20211025-025355_Acrobat for Samsung.png

I suspect the OP was talking about over-ear headphones though, and Harman's paper Segmentation of Listeners Based on Their Preferred Headphone Sound Quality Profiles, for which they describe this group of listeners:

Class 2: “More Bass is Better”
This is the smallest class (15%) of listeners who prefer headphones with 3-6 dB more bass than the Target curve below 300 Hz. Members in this group are predominantly male, and include 30% of the trained listeners in our sample.

The over-ear Harman target bass shelf is around 6 dB, so a class 2 listener would prefer a 9-12 dB bass shelf. However, these classes were determined through cluster analysis of preference ratings given to a set of headphones, so are partly dependent on the frequency responses of this set. As most headphones (at least at the time of the study) either had boosted (mid/upper) bass, or lacked bass (most open-backs), I'm not surprised they found 3 classes of preference (the other being the large majority of Harman target lovers of course):

Screenshot_20211025-044641_YouTube.png

I believe the bass control method of adjustment is more representative of true preference as it does not rely on a predefined selection of headphone bass shelves, instead the listener is free to choose any bass level they like, and when this was done for over-ear headphones, the spread in bass preference was smaller, with even the 'heavy bass lovers' only choosing on average around 1 dB more bass than those who preferred the Harman target:

Screenshot_20211025-025231_Acrobat for Samsung.png

So OP, as Oratory1990 usually uses a low-shelf bass filter on his EQs precisely for easy bass adjustment to taste (AutoEQ uses peak filters which makes this more tricky), I would advise using his profiles to EQ to the Harman target, then increasing the gain of the bass filter in increments of 1 dB until you get to your preferred level.

Last edited:
OP
T

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So OP, as Oratory1990 usually uses a low-shelf bass filter on his EQs precisely for easy bass adjustment to taste (AutoEQ uses peak filters which makes this more tricky), I would advise using his profiles to EQ to the Harman target, then increasing the gain of the bass filter in increments of 1 dB until you get to your preferred level.

Very informative, thank you! Unfortunately I'm trying to boost on Stealth, which he has not measured yet. Whenever I try to do it by ear, bass ends up sounding "boxy". Can't quite seem to get a good balance between kick and subbass extension. Possibly because, as you mentioned, Wavelet uses peak filters as well as Poweramp which is my usual player. Poweramp has a bass tone control but it's a bit heavy handed, you might say

GaryH

Major Contributor
Very informative, thank you! Unfortunately I'm trying to boost on Stealth, which he has not measured yet. Whenever I try to do it by ear, bass ends up sounding "boxy". Can't quite seem to get a good balance between kick and subbass extension. Possibly because, as you mentioned, Wavelet uses peak filters as well as Poweramp which is my usual player. Poweramp has a bass tone control but it's a bit heavy handed, you might say

If you're just listening to offline music, I'd recommend Neutron Player (free trial here if you want to just try it out first), which includes a brilliant fully-parametric equalizer. The Stealth comes very close to the Harman target already, so you just need a bass filter really. Oratory usually uses a low-shelf filter at 105 Hz with a Q-factor of 0.71, so I'd suggest that and adjusting the gain incrementally up to taste starting at 1 dB.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

anli

If you're just listening to offline music, I'd recommend Neutron Player (free trial here if you want to just try it out first), which includes a brilliant fully-parametric equalizer. The Stealth comes very close to the Harman target already, so you just need a bass filter really. Oratory usually uses a low-shelf filter at 105 Hz with a Q-factor of 0.71, so I'd suggest that and adjusting the gain incrementally up to taste starting at 1 dB.
I'm the next recommending Neutron with it excellent PEQ! Also Neutron is the best in Samba (Win Share) and WebDav sources using. Really!

Top Bottom