• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Q Acoustics Concept 300/500

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Q acoustics Concept 300 is a heavy stand mount, 2 way, 2 driver speaker which ships with trick dedicated stands for $4500. Its big sister the Concept 500 is a similar floor standing speaker with 3 drivers in a D'Appolito configuration for $6000. What strikes me about these two speakers is how close the prices are. Does a stand mount, even with trick stands, make sense when a floor mount in the same line is so close in price? Note the Concept is rated class A, restricted LF by Stereophile, in case that means anything to anyone here.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what's the Q of the drivers?

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it was a joke

as to the stands... they would likely weigh less (IM dist.) but would give a more spacious visual aspect to the speakers

and I don't discount aesthetic looks: if a speaker looks like a velociraptor crossed with a robot that is about to eat me, I'm not interested (Wilson)

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
and I don't discount aesthetic looks: if a speaker looks like a velociraptor crossed with a robot that is about to eat me, I'm not interested (Wilson)

I agree, the big Wilsons are not pretty.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Concept 500 appears to offer much more in it's construction, better bass response and has a minimum impedance of 3.7 Ohms where the 300 has 4.7 Ohms minimum impedance. I'm guessing those stands on the Concept 300 are so costly to make that it affects the price differential to a large degree. I would go with the Concept 500 if budget is not a factor.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Q Acoustics also has whitepapers for both the 300 and the 500, including a frequency response graph for the latter.

I'd personally go with the 300. Imo the Concept 500 does not reach low enough to be worth the extra price and visual impact. As good as the the frequency response and dispersion may be, the bass is too anemic. Q acoustics rates the Concept 500 down to 41Hz -6dB, but looking at the graph in its own whitepaper, it's more like 46Hz.
1578256331745.png

That's pretty unacceptable in my book for a pair of $6,000 bookshelf speakers weighing 92lb apiece. For comparison, the KEF R3, a bookshelf model a third of the price and many times smaller and lighter, is rated down to 38Hz -6dB. That figure is accurate or maybe even a little conservative based on KEF's graph:

1578256680542.png

The Sierra 2EX beats the Concept 500 too:
FULL.gif

As does the Buchardt S400:
fig1 (1).png

The one thing maybe helping the Concept 500 is that it's port is low to the ground, so you might get a bit more reinforcement from that design. But overall it still very much seems like you'd need a subwoofer if you care about full range sound. And if you need a subwoofer anyway, why not get the smaller speaker?

I also personally do not consider 4500 and 6000 to be close in price. That extra $1500 could get you a pretty awesome sub that would almost certainly outweigh any benefit of owning the 500 and balance out its advantage in efficiency.

Granted, I'm pretty biased against most floorstanding speakers. If it can't at least reach ~30hz -6dB anechoically then I'm not interested :)

On a more subjective note, I think the Concept 300 on their stand are some of the most beautiful speakers I've seen. I heard the Concept 300 last year and at the time thought they were some of the best speakers I'd ever heard. But that wasn't in my home, and I've since heard many more speakers, so who knows how I'd feel in an A/B test at home. But in terms of first impressions, it hit the sweet spot. Haven't had the chance to hear the 500s though.

Side note: The Concept 300 whitepaper also explains the benefits of its stand over other designs. Seems reasonable enough, though whether its improvements are actually audible is another matter. Anecdotally, I've noticed a cleaner impulse response when covering my speaker stand with a weighted blanket during gated measurements, but haven't looked too much into it and I doubt it'd make much of an audible improvement. Is there any serious research into the effectiveness of different stand types out there?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just an FYI that it seems Q Acoustics now sells the Concept 300 without the stands. The price goes from $4,500 down to $3,599. Still pricey, but much more appealing imo.

Top Bottom