• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Putting THD in the perspective

Krunok

Major Contributor
So, I did a simple speaker distortion test with REW with sine sweep at 87dB level at my LP (4m from the speakers) and this is how it looks:

C1.JPG

Same graph in db scale. Green line is THD of my amp and blue line of my DAC:

C2.JPG

And here is the "sound of silence" in my room.

C3.JPG

So, next time when you think you can hear the difference between DACs and amps think about these graphs. ;)

Copied from later posts:

So, as a conclusion here is a full perspective which includes noise floor, 0.1% and 1% THD threshold limits of my speakers playing at my usual listening level (85dB of average SPL at 4m) and my DAC and amp THD upper limits according to independent measurements.

It is obvious that vast majority of speaker's THD components are going to be burried in the noise while amp and DAC harmonic distortion components are definitely not worth to mention in this context as their distortion levels are below listening level.
Capture (1).jpg

So, as measurements are showing chances are your listening room is, as mine is, flooded with 35-40dB of noise, if not more. That means that even 1% THD will be effectively burried into the noise floor. But speaking of famous THD/IMD, let me quote what Dr. Toole is saying about it in his book:

"Thus began the legend that harmonic distortions are relatively benign and intermodulation distortions are bad. It is true in the context of these test signals, but they are both simply different ways of quantifying the same problem (the nonlinearity in the loudspeaker), and neither test signal (one tone or two) is even a crude approximation of human voices or music. Contributing to the mismatch between perception and measurement is the fact that such a technical measurement totally ignores masking. Included in the numbers generated by the measurements are distortion components that, to humans, are partially or completely masked. The numbers are wrong. The end result of this is that traditional measures of harmonic or intermodulation distortion are almost meaningless.

They do not quantify distortion in a way that can, with any reliability, predict a human response to it while listening to music or movies. They do not correlate because they ignore any characteristics of the human receptor, an outrageously nonlinear device in its own right.

In loudspeakers it is fortunate that distortion is something that normally does not become obvious until devices are driven close to or into some limiting condition. In large-venue professional devices, this is a situation that can occur frequently. In the general population of consumer loudspeakers, it has been very rare for distortion to be identifi ed as a factor in the overall subjective ratings. This is not because distortion is not there or is not measurable, but it is low enough that it is not an obvious factor in judgments of sound quality at normal foreground listening levels. "

And that's pretty much it, I left a few paragraphs not to make post too long. So, in a book of 540 pages there are only 2 pages about distortion. Add that to the fact that spinorama charts also doesn't involve distortion and you got the picture of what THD/IMD figures really mean to our ears. Hopefully.

Last edited:
OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
What confuses me a little is that using RTA and 42Hz sine wave I'm getting much lower distortion figures:

Capture.jpg

These were my settings:

Distortion measurement RTA settings.JPG

Drone/doom

So it backs my point your speakers rate over 1% in few areas yet still sounds good?. Same with a ER4XR & SR225e in the headphone context.

Drone/doom

I kinda wish THD+N went through DBT proof tests for the ones who tout audability or assume blindly that over 1% is audible. Is just them hearing stubile details in their music or placebo effect. The ER4PT i had was 0.7% at 1k with bass being 0,5% yet sounded great.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try the same sine sweep 1-1.5 meter from the speaker..

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
Just out of curiosity, could you test this at different spls? It's reasonable to assume that the louder the speaker gets, it should produce more distortions relative to the signal.

This is at 90db at my LP (so 4 meters from the speakers). I usually don't listen that loud.

C3.JPG

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
THD in the reverberation field has little meaning.

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
I kinda wish THD+N went through DBT proof tests for the ones who tout audability or assume blindly that over 1% is audible. Is just them hearing stubile details in their music or placebo effect. The ER4PT i had was 0.7% at 1k with bass being 0,5% yet sounded great.

As I said, I find it confusing that with 2 different methods I'm getting different results. As you can see with the RTA method left speaker measured 0,054% and right speaker 0,072%. I would really appreciate comment from John Mulcahy on this but I don't know his nick so I can't tag him. @Thomas savage , maybe you can help me find his nick?

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It does look like the peaks increased by a bit (could be 3 db even). I think this should be more obvious when testing at differences of 10 or even 20 dB SPL.

My point is that maybe at certain spl the THD could drop down to the level of the amp. And it also means that quiet parts in the music will present less relative distortion than loud parts. So maybe it is possible to differentiate between amps using quiet or very dynamic music.

Last edited:
OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
it does
It does look like the peaks increased by a bit (could be 3 db even). I think this should be more obvious when testing at differences of 10 or even 20 dB SPL.

My point is that maybe at certain spl the THD could drop down to the level of the amp. And it also means that quiet parts in the music will present less relative distortion than loud parts. So maybe it is possible to differentiate between amps using quiet or very dynamic music.

They did increase - distortion is rising with SPL.

Maybe at 60-70db speaker distortion would drop below 0.1% but amp distortion would still be 0.05% even at that small power.

Fluffy

The distortion of the speakers doesn't completely mask that of the amp, it just add on top of it. If both values are close enough, it should be possible to hear the effect of the amp on the sound through the effect of the speakers.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Just out of curiosity, could you test this at different spls? It's reasonable to assume that the louder the speaker gets, it should produce more distortions relative to the signal.

I did that...

Using repeated sweep measurements at increasing SPL, I got something like this:

1569092789344.png

Conclusion:

Ambient noise dominates the measure until the level of the actual speaker distortion rises out of the noise floor.

In my case, with the 'stats, the turn occurred at 85 or 90 SPL.

1569092875473.png 1569092840169.png

Last edited:
OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
I did that...

Using repeated sweep measurements at increasing SPL, I got something like this:

View attachment 34009

Conclusion:

Ambient noise dominates the measure until the level of the actual speaker distortion rises out of the noise floor.

In my case, with the 'stats, the turn occurred at 85 or 90 SPL.

Is your ambient noise comparable to mine?

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Real world music listening would be 100db peaks

With movies, and some music genres like classical and EDM, 110db peaks. Redo measurements on your speakers for that :)

audimus

How do you measure “speaker distortion” in the middle of a real room acoustics?

As an extreme illustration if you were to place a drum set in the room when conducting the test, the various resonances produced by the drum set in response to the sound from the speakers would add to non-linear distortion numbers, no?

Human ears seem to be good at filtering out certain forms of distortion than others based on directionality, etc.

Not making any conclusions one way or the other but don’t fully understand what the distortion measurements through a speaker mean and how it relates to hearing.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

As an extreme illustration if you were to place a drum set in the room when conducting the test, the various resonances produced by the drum set in response to the sound from the speakers would add to non-linear distortion numbers, no?

Human ears seem to be good at filtering out certain forms of distortion than others based on directionality, etc.

Not making any conclusions one way or the other but don’t fully understand what the distortion measurements through a speaker mean and how it relates to hearing.

Agreed a sine sweep in the reverbation field will be of little meaning with respect to distortion.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP should to take a look at the REW Help file. In the PDF version starting on page 105, there is an example of measuring loudspeaker distortion. The example talked about the artifacts of normalization (page 107) which can make normalized distortion plots misleading. Also, to minimize non-anechoic room effects, measurements should be taken close to the loudspeaker instead of at listening position. In the example the measurements were taken only 15 cm from the loudspeakers.

Top Bottom