• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pushed-in tweeter domes

Andysu

Major Contributor
this is what my cats Magic and Bear did to bass drivers

Screenshot 2023-03-27 00.49.41.png

Dynaudiolover

I would still like to see a side by side comparison of a dented dome versus a undented dome with regards to an actually frequency chart. Has anyone completed this test and would like to share the results or does anyone know of a site where such a comparison has been completed?

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They are typically so easy to replace if parts are available. Any tricks I’ve seen to pull them back out never work. Do they have effect on the sound? Idk. But not in this house. I’ll toss that $10k speaker into Lake Ontario before it’s in my living room. Gotta have some standards. :)

Sokel

Master Contributor
To make visual so friends understand this better,this is a tweeter shown from the voice's coil side (I put an alu and a soft one) :

VC2.jpg
VC.jpg

Voice coil is typically an alu ring with the copper warped around it.
This goes in and out of a gap barely larger.So it HAS to remain completely round so it will not scratch in the gap and move freely in it.

Imagine that is as fragile as the alu used in one-use food boxes.
What do you thing happens to it with any kind of pressure,no matter how light?

The measurements in diyaudio showed that the pushed one had a rapid fall in it's response (it played some 6db lower) as freqs went up BUT hugely elevated distortion at the start of it's working range.

Dynaudiolover

Thank you Sokel.
So with that said can we all come to the conclusion that no matter how much (little push, harder push) the soft dome is pushed in it will affect the frequency response of a tweeter that will be auditable? Therefore a person should never buy a tweeter second hand with a tweeter dome that has dimples unless they intend on replacing the doom.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What we really need is someone to buy an inexpensive tweeter, do some measurements of it. Then push in the dome maybe in stages of severity and retest.

Sokel

Master Contributor
What we really need is someone to buy an inexpensive tweeter, do some measurements of it. Then push in the dome maybe in stages of severity and retest.
Don't tempt me,i have some sacrificial here :cool:
But my measurements will be dead amateurish so I stay with the ones of the diyaudio.

Dynaudiolover

I have ARc Genesis on my Anthem that could test the tweeters but I unfortunately do not have any that I can sacrifice for purposes of testing. What I might do once I have time is test the one I have with a dimple as it compares to a similar one (same make, difference model, and are interchangeable). Maybe over the Christmas break I will do this and post my results.

Dynaudiolover

Actually I just completed a test using Quick Measure in ARc Genesis with a Dynaudio Emit M20 bookshelf speaker which has the same tweeter as the two I have with dimpled dooms. The two Dynaudio tweeters with dimpled domes came out of the Dynaudio Emit M30 floor standing speakers. So same line of speakers.

The results are interesting.

Snapshot #1 - the original perfect tweeter from the M20.
Snapshot #2 - one of the dimpled tweeters.
Snapshot #3 - the other dimpled tweeter.

Note: the dimples in each tweeter are of course different.

Thoughts??

Screenshot (18).png

Sokel

Master Contributor
Actually I just completed a test using Quick Measure in ARc Genesis with a Dynaudio Emit M20 bookshelf speaker which has the same tweeter as the two I have with dimpled dooms. The two Dynaudio tweeters with dimpled domes came out of the Dynaudio Emit M30 floor standing speakers. So same line of speakers.

Thoughts??

View attachment 335037
Around 6db reduced response,just how they measured it as I said above.
But are we sure are the exact same as the perfect one and their x-over has the same parameters?

Judging by their response though they must be the same.

Dynaudiolover

The only thing I can think of is that the tweeters, although showing the same model number on the tweeter itself, have a slight design difference due to the type of speaker design. The M20s are a basic two way design where as the M30s are a TMM design. The crossover on the M30s is a two way design cross over at 1800 hz. The M20s is also a two way design with a cross over point of 2600 hz. The crossover however should not come into play as it is a separate component in the line. The two dimpled tweeters are very close to the same response whereas the original one from the M20 is as you say running higher by the approx. 6db but only after about 12,000 hz. and once you get up into that range, especially if you are an older adult, it becomes inaudible I would think.

Salt

Forum Donor

Thoughts??

View attachment 335037
Tweeter? really only -10 dB(?) down to 20Hz? And fullrange down to aprox. 30 Hz?
Or is it whole speaker measurement (and thus dimpled tweeter would improve deep bass)?

Dynaudiolover

I did not remove the woofer from the speaker so that is why each tweeter measurement is basically the same up until the crossover point (woofer only to that point).

Salt

Forum Donor
The lower frequencies should be unaffected.
You should do measurements filtered above 2 KHz.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That would make me think no difference in your measurement just a level difference in the two speakers.

Dynaudiolover

I have no way of filtering to just above 2 KHz unfortunately. I have sent an email directly to Dynaudio in Sweden to find out if in fact the two tweeters are the same or a slight difference due to the design of the two models of speaker boxes. I will let you know more when they reply back.

I was thinking the same thing Blumlein 88. The two dimpled tweeters are pretty much the response.

Dynaudiolover

Thanks Sokel. When you look at my readings as compared to the ones you provided it just shows you how each room has its own way of dealing with the various frequencies bouncing around the room.

D

Deleted member 48726

I would still like to see a side by side comparison of a dented dome versus a undented dome with regards to an actually frequency chart. Has anyone completed this test and would like to share the results or does anyone know of a site where such a comparison has been completed?

*Everyone takes one step back, leaving Dynaudiolover in front.

-Hey, you, you just volunteered. You have two speakers right? (and left)

Just take your thumb to one of them and do the measurements. For science.

Top Bottom