• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pushed-in tweeter domes

Flaesh

Personally I avoid speakers/monitors where the tweeters are not protected.
c0143750_1221353.jpg
475_xsection.jpg

and so on are quite protected

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last speakers I bought second hand were large JBL E90s just for garage duties. I opened them up to tweak the crossovers because the tweeters were hot. In one speaker I found half a point bag of meth (equivalent to US crack I suppose) and some weed. I’d have preferred a barbie doll head tbh.
Friend of mine got a subwoofer that had been dumped in the yard of a property he was clearing, took it home to refurbish it. 9mm Beretta pistol inside it, along with a bag of ammo.

That was in the UK, not Texas.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Speakers with ribbon or AMT tweeter is the best solution against this issue.

Peterinvan

I have often taken a pin, or a piece of fairy strong tape to pull the dome back out. It sometimes works well. At other times, the dome is a bit misshapen. It's worth a try.
I just sucked on the tweeter dome until it popped out!

wunderkind

I once got a pair of B&Ws with deep discount due to one of the pair's silk tweeter dome was pushed in. Used the tape method to take "fix" it. Works fine.
However what if the dome was punctured?

It's always those birthday party events man....so to prevent kiddy curiosities, all common area speakers are protected with accompanying mesh. Yeah they don't look as sexy, but whadya' gonna do right? :(

Top Bottom