• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie looking for his first pair of monitor

Which pair of speaker should I buy?

• Adam T5v 298€

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Audioengine A5+ (non wireless) 279€

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • KRK Rokit RP5 G4 298€

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any other (below 400€)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Thomman Swissonic A305 (222€)

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Thomman Swissonic A306 B-Stock (264€)

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Kali LP 6 V2 (398€)

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

dfuller

Major Contributor
@ZolaIII As you anticipated, I'm having problems with groundloops and I'm trying to solve them.

Quick recap of the situation:
In the end I bought kali lp 6, i connected them to my pc and i hear a buzzing sound which become even more annoying when moving mouse or doing anything with my pc.

I tried to connect them to my macbook and there is no buzzing sound/noise at all.

I understood that the problem was coming from my pc and i quickly purchased a DAC (S.M.S.L SU-1) which i thought would solve the problem...well it didn't.

Everything is connected to the same power outlet (i don't have the possibility to connect to different outlets).

What should I do to solve the problem??

I'm reading online about several methods, but i can't figure out which one would be the most suitable for my condition
Your issue is a ground loop. Use a DAC with balanced outputs and your problem will go away.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I was thinking to purchase an optical audio cable to link it with the DAC, so I could power it directly from the outlet (right now it receives both power and signals with usb from pc)
Fiber optical (Toslink) cable will brake any ground loop. Hopefully you have such output on a PC.

OP
P

PaoloM

Fiber optical (Toslink) cable will brake any ground loop. Hopefully you have such output on a PC.
Is it this, right?
There's written "spdif out" above

Attachments

• photo1706372286.jpeg
    photo1706372286.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 19
OP
P

PaoloM

Turns out you were right once again. Today i managed to get a Toslink cable and as soon as I plugged everything the buzzing sound was completely gone.
The only difference i managed to notice with the macbook configuration was the precence of a slightly more noticeable hiss.
That would probably disappear with balanced connection since I'm using 1.8m length Toslink + 2.4m length RCA, but that would imply spending 60€ more to get a topping d10 balanced.
Anyway thanks again for the help, your advices have been very precious to me :D

Top Bottom