• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie looking for his first pair of monitor

Which pair of speaker should I buy?

• Adam T5v 298€

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Audioengine A5+ (non wireless) 279€

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • KRK Rokit RP5 G4 298€

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any other (below 400€)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Thomman Swissonic A305 (222€)

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Thomman Swissonic A306 B-Stock (264€)

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Kali LP 6 V2 (398€)

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

PaoloM

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy my first pair of "hi-fi" monitor speakers.
I would use them in a desktop setup connected to my pc (mini jack), my room is pretty small: 12 sqare metres (I'm a student).
I mostly listen to pop, rock, electronic but also classic and jazz at times.
I narrowed down my research to these speakers after reading every kind of review online (especially from Amirm) but if you think i missed any monitor I should consider, I will be happy to take your advice :D
One thing to note is that I'm nowhere close to have 60cm from the wall behind the monitors due to my small bedroom, so I was considering lowering low frequencies with APO by 2-3 db and pushing them towards the back wall, what do you think?
If I forgot to mention any useful information, please tell me

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
If you're in Europe, these might be worth adding to your list:

Most active monitors have some switches that will allow you to adjust the bass and treble if placing them near the wall; which may be sufficient without using APO, but to really dial them in, you'll probably need to measure.

Triliza

Forum Donor
Hi. Although the prices are for the US, have a look at @sweetchaos list for active ones.

It'd would be better if you could spare some money to buy a dac or a streamer-dac if you plan to stream music also (something like Wiim, or a Raspberry + dac). If you have headphones or plan to get at some point, plan for a unit/combo that will do all the above. It may not make an audible difference (depending on the sound card your pc have I guess), but just for peace of mind and ease of use.

Chazz6

Feeding from your PC, you can do some equalization in software. For example, Minimserver can apply ffmpeg adjustments. Foobar200 also has equalization module(s).

OP
P

PaoloM

If you're in Europe, these might be worth adding to your list:

Most active monitors have some switches that will allow you to adjust the bass and treble if placing them near the wall; which may be sufficient without using APO, but to really dial them in, you'll probably need to measure.
Thanks for the answer!
According to Erin's review about a305:
Relatively neutral speaker but the larger brother (A306) is better
So I'm strongly considering this pair of monitor.
Before writing this thread i was leaning towards T5v but now I'm kinda insecure what to pick

Would you recommend a306 over T5v?
Should I wait that they get back in stock as new or buying them as B stock is fine anyway?

I'm kinda worried about B stock because if I happen to get a bad pair, I'm not sure i would recognise it as bad since it would be a big improvement over my logitech anyways

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Kali LP 6 V2.
The Kali's are perhaps slightly better:

1704398854505.png

1704398895075.png

But I don't think there's much in it and they are both pretty good and either one will will likely be a big step up from your Logitech computer speakers. :)

OP
P

PaoloM

Hi. Although the prices are for the US, have a look at @sweetchaos list for active ones.

It'd would be better if you could spare some money to buy a dac or a streamer-dac if you plan to stream music also (something like Wiim, or a Raspberry + dac). If you have headphones or plan to get at some point, plan for a unit/combo that will do all the above. It may not make an audible difference (depending on the sound card your pc have I guess), but just for peace of mind and ease of use.
Other candidates in your price range and which are often recommended are i.e., Kalis [LP-6/8V2] or JBLs [305/306/308PMKii]. Just look at spinorama.org or @sweetchaos recommended list of speakers. Here is an example of a comparision: AdamT5V vs KaliLP-6Vs.
Thanks to both for the sweetchaos list. I haven't checked it before and it has been very helpful!

I just can't understand why Adam T5v received such a low score!!
I carefully read Amirm's review about T5v and it was one of the few models at this budget that he strongly recommends.
Did things from 2020 change that much that his recommendation is not that valid anymore or PS is not a reliable parameter and i should stick with Amirm's recommendations?

@Triliza Is it worth spending extra money on a dac rather then using those money for the monitors if the difference is not audible? I have a 2022 motherboard payed about 200€

@Ziltoe I considered the kali before writing this but they weren't picked because I read about the hiss problem they have. I don't know how much of a problem this really is, but since i don't know i thought it was better to not risk it

Last edited:
OP
P

PaoloM

Please try to get a measurement microphone as UMIK-1 as well.
Yep, aUMIK-1 and Kali LP 6 V2.
I considered buying this device since i read many people talked about this.
Would you spend 300+100 for monitor+microphone or 400 for monitor only?
Sadly kali costs 400 here so in case i get those, microphone would have to wait a bit

OP
P

PaoloM

I substituted the JBL 305P Mark II. Again, no contest. The 305p had far less bass and could not play nearly as loud.

So I pulled in the Kali LP6. I was quite surprised that the Adam T5V with its smaller woofer was able to once again produce more bass. I think this is due to the shelving of the upper bass in LP6. Regardless, the T5V sounded much warmer and balanced due to more bass energy. And it could play even louder than the LP6!
From Amirm's Adam T5v review.

That's also why I didn't include the above models in the first place.
Note that kali is also 100€ more expensive

Ziltoe

No worries.

"Would you spend 300+100 for monitor+microphone or 400 for monitor only? Yes... no..., not necessarily. Looking at yor initial post: get a reasonanable speaker
and make a choice from all the [good] recommadations made above. Sources can be everything. A DAC, a pre-amplyfier, a USB connected to your comp, to your smartPh, it doesn:' matter, just go for a "good" LS, another example I can commend

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I considered buying this device since i read many people talked about this.
Would you spend 300+100 for monitor+microphone or 400 for monitor only?
Sadly kali costs 400 here so in case i get those, microphone would have to wait a bit
As you will soon find out most budget studio monitors have only balanced inputs so what you may save now you will have to pay later on. Kali LP 6 V2's have both so you can use cheaper DAC, streamer, sub's and everything else in the future going unbalanced.
They are very good for the price and will do for near to mid field listening. Try to save on later for a mic and luckily you are using a Windows PC and familiar with EQ-APO and soon or when you get a mic you will get familiar with REW.
Best regards and have a nice time!

Ziltoe

@Ziltoe I considered the kali before writing this but they weren't picked because I read about the hiss problem they have. I don't know how much of a problem this really is, but since i don't know i thought it was better to not risk it

No hiss these days at their latest revisions, no worries here

Top Bottom