• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Properties of speakers that creates a large and precise soundstage

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I found out I don't like huge soundstage as it sounds unnatural
sometimes a more focused soundstage is better
Not sure if you're joking, but in my experience it depends almost entirely on the recording. Some have very little spaciousness.

Bridges

A speaker thats not a point source, ie a twoway or threeway speaker is having a bit of ” sameness” on every recording regarding the size of the soundstage , which will show less differences than possible , compared to a true point source .
A true point source is a microphone in reverse. (one microphone). The point source argument is for manufacturers and owners of small speakers; they also use the lobing affect argument to try to convince others that their design theory is correct and others are not.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A true point source is a microphone in reverse. (one microphone). The point source argument is for manufacturers and owners of small speakers; they also use the lobing affect argument to try to convince others that their design theory is correct and others are not.

Hm, not really? And you don't have to have small speakers to get a point source effect, just use a coax :)

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're judging from a YouTube video? I hope we don't have to explain the many problems doing that.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing to do with Youtube but the recording method.
I think we're saying the same thing in different ways. No recording is going to sound like the speaker in your room.

STC

I think we're saying the same thing in different ways. No recording is going to sound like the speaker in your room.
Your speakers are just about 50% or the sound you hear. The rest is the environment. In order to access a system with reasonable accuracy is to capture the sound waves reaching the ears. You need to capture the the acoustics environment. It got nothing to do with YouTube except at the extremities.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Soundstage is largely a creation of your speakers combined with the room, so listening to a youtube video of different speakers will not give you much information about how those speakers sound (with regards to soundstage or anything else).

STC

Over the past century, stereo technology has undergone significant advancements and has garnered thousands of reviews. While many recordings are capable of reproducing a full orchestra in a realistic manner according to them yet somehow they still struggle to capture and reproduce the sound of only two instruments playing in a room. Isn’t something not right here?

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They've got those big Magicos crammed in that little room with a bunch of acoustics and the mics right in front of each speaker. That actually sounds fairly decent when played back again over my speakers. The speaker for each microphone dominates over the rest of the room and the opposite speaker. This might actually give an impression of sounding better than it really does when you're there at a normal distance from the speakers, hearing the room play a more dominant role, and hearing these two giants crosstalking across your litle head.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I think that applause from a large audience, with the fast transient nature of sounds that will create, will maybe cause a lot of natural phase cancelations making the overall sound diffuse in a way that makes it hard to pinpoint. It can sound as if it comes from all around you.
A very good judge of sound quality is to listen to good live recordings with applause and compare it with the real thing in the concert hall . A good single driver speaker outperforms all multiway speakers in such a test . Im convinced that the biggest fault in most loudspeakers are not the drivers or the cabinets, but the crossover thats never 100% transparent . This is very logical ;).
No loudspeaker driver can reproduce information thats already been lost in the crossover .

Last edited:

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A very good judge of sound quality is to listen to good live recordings with applause and compare it with the real thing in the concert hall . A good single driver speaker outperforms all multiway speakers in such a test . Im convinced that the biggest fault in most loudspeakers are not the drivers or the cabinets, but the crossover thats never 100% transparent . This is very logical ;).
No loudspeaker driver can reproduce information thats already been lost in the crossover .
Can you give examples of good single driver speakers?

Tangband

Major Contributor
Can you give examples of good single driver speakers?
The sibelius loudspeaker is one great example . As all single loudspeaker it dont measure perfect regarding directivity or frequency linearity but take a listen to it - you will be surprised. This speaker made me sell my SAM monitors and build a clone. The soundstage is very big in all dimensions and at the same time razor sharp with very clear and pinpoint placement of acoustic instruments sounding very natural. It also does rock music well.

To my ears, this speakers sounds better in direct comparison with Genelec 8340 SAM and 8030C which is an achivement.

Here is a honest review of the sibelius loudspeaker:

Last edited:

Bridges

The crossover can also compensate for the driver deficiencies, no driver is perfect, I have used that particular Mark Audio driver, too many compromises very poor performance even at moderate SPL, works pretty good as a head set.

NIN

What is "lost" in the crossover?

goat76

Major Contributor
I have thought about why I like my current speakers so much and why they sound so natural, and one idea I have is that the midrange driver is doing some heavy lifting of playing the wide range from 380 Hz all the way up to 3500 Hz, and I think this works in almost a similar way as single driver speakers, at least for most of the "critical range" for our hearing of the frequency range. Just a thought, but the ATC midrange driver is golden and I will probably never look over my shoulder again. :)

Tangband

Major Contributor
What is "lost" in the crossover?
Energy ( power ) is lost, perfect phase is lost, the direct connection to the driver is lost ( last thing important below emf frequencies, ie bass ). There are also things added from the crossover like delayed energy and distortion. A coil is one of the worst behaving electronic component .

Even If the crossover is an active one, you have a lot of extra electronics before the driver that contributes with some coloration/noise.

Using a single driver is in reality an active speaker, connected directly to the amplifier but without having those drawbacks of a crossover.

Using only one driver have many cons to, as we all know. But the biggest advantage is point source behaviour and perfect phase in the midrange where the ear is most sensitive. This can make the soundstage huge and at the same time very exact.

Last edited:
Top Bottom