• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Properties of speakers that creates a large and precise soundstage

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Out of phase is an artificial production and I don’t recall it can ever occur in nature as all sound in the nature is monophonic. How you are perceiving that could be unique to you as I also noticed the description is not consistent across all the listeners.
I'm not sure mono is the term to apply to natural sounds, as it's a recording term. And natural sounds are by no means all point sources, and as soon as the sound bounces off a surface (like the ground, a cave wall, a cathedral ceiling, etc.) it has additional vectors.

There is certainly variation between listeners, but the effects I described were heard by everyone who experienced that track in the room in question, and experienced by no one in my other spaces. So I'm pretty confident it was a super deadened room trait, not a listener idiosyncrasy.

Last edited:

audiofooled

Not my usual music, but that is a neat track. I listened before reading your description, and it's pretty well spot-on with what I heard, except...

The surging intro synth sounds were both wide and close to my head at the same time, but after that I didn't notice anything bordering on in-head localization or passing over my head.

Where would you rank your room in terms of lively vs dead?

It's a normal living room with no acoustic treatment whatsoever but it isn't lively nor too damped, somewhere in the middle I would guess. With normal amount of soft furniture it's good for overall well balanced listening experience. The sound field qualities I'm getting is more because of loudspeaker directivity and setup. I'm avoiding too much lateral reflections with a lot of toe in and room modes are well tamed with seamlessly integrated sealed sub. Tower speakers and sub are all DIY.

goat76

Major Contributor
This song:
has an interesting effect on the double kick drum beats that occur in the song. There’s a rumble that wraps around to the sides well beyond the speakers following the beats. Any phase effects will disappear if I switch my RME to mono but this doesn’t go completely away, it is slightly diminished though. Something else I noticed is that, for whatever reason, in the YouTube version (256kb AAC) the effect is not nearly as robust as in the Apple Music lossless version. Listening on 8361A’s.
I had a closer look at it and it seems to me like the mono channel of the kick drum is indeed in phase right in the middle of track, but the left and right channels of the stereo reverb of that kick drum might be out of phase by a delay in one of the channels. It's also possible that the reverb has a widening effect to make it sound larger.

The bass guitar and the dry mono track of the kick drum are the only elements that are constant in the phantom center, and sometimes the backing vocals. The acoustic guitar and the main vocals have individual delay effects and processing to push them to both sides (left and right) which leaves the phantom center clear from those sound elements making them sound wider in the mix. The clapping effect with its short transient sound has an apparent double effect thanks to a delay between the channels.

So in short, there are a lot of "stereo tricks" going on in this track and it shows that just two speakers are fully capable of placing sounds way outside of them and not just between them. I don't understand why this is seen by some people in this thread as a way of "cheating", the main thing here is that we can hear sounds coming from far outside the speakers even if they are just two of them in a simple stereo configuration. There are a lot of other things besides delays going on in stereo productions, but as I see it, everything should be seen as part of the package.
But stereo effects like this should most speakers be able to reproduce pretty accurately in a similar way, at least as long as they are set up right, but it should not have much to do with any specific properties of any specific pair of loudspeakers.

Oh by the way, nice song. :)

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
It's a normal living room with no acoustic treatment whatsoever but it isn't lively nor too damped, somewhere in the middle I would guess. With normal amount of soft furniture it's good for overall well balanced listening experience. The sound field qualities I'm getting is more because of loudspeaker directivity and setup. I'm avoiding too much lateral reflections with a lot of toe in and room modes are well tamed with seamlessly integrated sealed sub. Tower speakers and sub are all DIY.
Makes sense, and that's in alignment with my personal experience and research I've read on the topic that fewer early reflections gives a perception of closer sound, and more reflections moves the sound perception further away due to more room cues signaling distance to the speakers.

I find the 'closer' experience more exciting and striking on tracks like the one you shared, but appreciate the spacious experience for other genres. Tradeoffs...

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
I don't understand why this is seen by some people in this thread as a way of "cheating", the main thing here is that we can hear sounds coming from far outside the speakers even if they are just two of them in a simple stereo configuration. There are a lot of other things besides delays going on in stereo productions, but as I see it, everything should be seen as part of the package.
We'll said, and I couldn't agree more.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I'm not sure mono is the term to apply to natural sounds, as it's a recording term. And natural sounds are by no means all point sources, and as soon as the sound bounces off a surface (like the ground, a cave wall, a cathedral ceiling, etc.) it has additional vectors.

Yes, natural sounds often reflect or echo, and sources have their own directivity. Not to mention sound sources that are in motion, like a train or a bird in flight, or multi-point like a flock of birds, or huge like a roll of thunder.

deanznz

Has anyone tried the MATT test signals, (Musical Articulation Test Tones.)

===================
The MATT Test Analysis is a rapid gated slow sine sweep. It demonstrates the musical clarity vs frequency of the HiFi system in your room. In some ranges of sound you will hear strong rapid dynamic sound level changes while in other ranges the tone bursts blur together in reverberant chaos. You can also hear the more familiar peaks and valleys of your room. Then play it again but this time close your eyes and concentrate on the sound stage of this perfectly mono signal. In some tone ranges the image stays put; stage center, small and tight, where it belongs. But the next tone range sees the image lose focus and fluff up into a ball of fog. And yet another sees the image up and wander off, flying around the sound stage like Peter Pan.

The objective of performing the MATT test in your listening room is to determine where you might move your speakers, listening position, and/or where to add acoustic treatment to your room to obtain the highest quality sound possible from the components in your listening environment.
===================

play file here:

or pay to get your room recording of the MATT analysed here:

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
The ATF diagram pretty well captures my journey with audio.

I started my journey as an analytical listener in a dead room; then discovered thrill with horn speakers... And then discovered immersion and improved tonality and became a feeling listener; but it was always additive to my previous interests. So now I'm an ATF, but I want it turned to 11!

I used to love the hyper clarity of a dead sounding room, but now I enjoy just a touch of the edge being taken off and settle for merely excellent clarity (all subjectively in my opinion of course).

Tim Link

Forum Donor
The ATF diagram pretty well captures my journey with audio.

I started my journey as an analytical listener in a dead room; then discovered thrill with horn speakers... And then discovered immersion and improved tonality and became a feeling listener; but it was always additive to my previous interests. So now I'm an ATF, but I want it turned to 11!

I used to love the hyper clarity of a dead sounding room, but now I enjoy just a touch of the edge being taken off and settle for merely excellent clarity (all subjectively in my opinion of course).
Interesting! Your journey sounds similar to mine. I think I know what I want, and then I hear something in a situation that I don't expect to sound good and I'm enlightened to new possibilities for creating pleasing listening experiences. When I first heard horns I wondered if I could combine that dynamic force and clarity with the openness and airiness I'd heard from good direct radiators. I think the answer is yes! With perhaps some limitations. I think what we need is a highly efficient, full range, constant dispersion point source with ultra low distoriton and high linearity. If we can't do a point source, maybe a horn loaded line source?

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Hi, did you happen to utilize the transition anyway as listening tool while you were tweaking these rooms? Do you remember if it happened on all rooms, and what happened to it when you tweaked acoustic treatment, did it move? Or any kind of details like how far it was, did vertical early reflections meaningful for it, what speakers did you use and so on? Perhaps too much stuff for one post, do you have any posts about your room tweaking processes somewhere so I could read?
No I didn't use it. In hind-sight I've heard it, but didn't know the significance.

In the first room it was so dead after treatment that I don't think there was a transition anymore. Couldn't tell you if it moved in the other rooms.

I tried pink noise tonight in my current room, and I'm seated right at the transition. The sound has a consistent focus as I back away from near the speakers to the MLP; as I sit in the MLP it's just starting to soften; when I lean back further it broadens and becomes fairly diffuse.

First room was ~2009 and I didn't post any build threads.

My current room is documented here, but I need to add some updates.

Last edited:

tmuikku

Nice room! eyeballing from photos you've got about 12ft listening triangle? that's big, and very cool if the audible critical distance extends that far and that you've had your listening spot about there :) I also put a chair there if I'm listening alone, it's fun to zoom in and out.

Unfortunately, I have regular livingroom without acoustic treatment and even though I have quite narrow directivity speakers, similar DI as M2 on the midrange, the transition is about 7-8ft away, doesn't quite extend all the way to practical sofa position. Option would be to try some acoustic treatment and higher DI speakers I think.

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Nice room! eyeballing from photos you've got about 12ft listening triangle? that's big, and very cool if the audible critical distance extends that far and that you've had your listening spot about there :) I also put a chair there if I'm listening alone, it's fun to zoom in and out.

Unfortunately, I have regular livingroom without acoustic treatment and even though I have quite narrow directivity speakers, similar DI as M2 on the midrange, the transition is about 7-8ft away, doesn't quite extend all the way to practical sofa position. Option would be to try some acoustic treatment and higher DI speakers I think.
Thank you!

And yes, you're pretty much right on, front wall is ~19` wide, Speakers are 10' apart, MLP is a bit over 12' from the speakers.

I'll listen again later, but I heard the broadening right across the seating area.

Tim Link

Forum Donor
I've been playing with my new speaker array, comparing the crossover setting at 1200Hz to 3500Hz. This should sound a lot different because the 10" midrange is beamy up at 3500Hz compared to the horn, and it's an open baffle too close to a rear wall. Now that I've EQd the response between the 10" and horn/compression driver more accurately, I honestly have a hard time estabilishing a preference, and I doubt I could guess which is which in a blind test without some practice. My perception of the tonal balance is very close to the same. The imaging is great either way. I try listening from another room and it sounds great either way. Off axis, on axis, perceptually pretty much the same. What does screw with things is the lower crossover to the woofers. At 100Hz the open baffle isn't keeping up so it's a little thin and bright. At 200Hz it's pretty great. At 300Hz it gets a little murky. Still nice in it's own way, but I definitely don't prefer it except maybe at low listening levels. It might be possible to EQ the woofers better. I put a little effort in but it seemed there was more to it than just the EQ. The woofers are all the way out in the corners of the room.
So in a nutshell when I'm running a 3 speaker center array soundbar on steroids type of thing, and the side walls are about 10' away from the drivers, the off axis doesn't seem to be that important as long as the on-axis is right. Either way you get a large and precise soundstage with pleasing tone. This is surprising to me, and I'm wondering if perhaps it's the dipole rear radition that's making up for the narrower dispersion on the 10"

Last edited:

NIN

Agree also Lansen Speakers which work on different principle. Both try use the reflected sound along with some direct sound to create soundstage in the room not just between the the speakers. The soundstage is the same just not as strong and can be heard every where in the room.
DSP used with conventional line source speakers correct peaks and valleys in spl brought on by the speakers position in the room and room size and shape.

I guess you are talking about Larsen speakers? Those are from Sweden (like me) and are built around same concept as Stig Carlsson speakers from the 60-70 and 80s, a "Ortho Acoustic Speakers".

NIN

So in short, there are a lot of "stereo tricks" going on in this track and it shows that just two speakers are fully capable of placing sounds way outside of them and not just between them. I don't understand why this is seen by some people in this thread as a way of "cheating", the main thing here is that we can hear sounds coming from far outside the speakers even if they are just two of them in a simple stereo configuration. There are a lot of other things besides delays going on in stereo productions, but as I see it, everything should be seen as part of the package.
But stereo effects like this should most speakers be able to reproduce pretty accurately in a similar way, at least as long as they are set up right, but it should not have much to do with any specific properties of any specific pair of loudspeakers.

Oh by the way, nice song. :)

I would say almost all music today is with different "stereo tricks" and I don't find it "cheating" just because they didn't just used 2 mics straight to "tape" without changing anything.

Tangband

Major Contributor
There are some similar threads about what imaging and soundstaging even is, and some threads about how to measure it (we're not great at that). In this thread I thought it would be interesting to have a look what properties is likely to enable a speaker to be good at this.

My (!) definition of "good" would be to be able to present a large soundstage. With "large", I mean the experience of sound being presented well beyond the speakers in all dimensions. Width, depth, height. I also mean the experience of a clear perception of where within this space different sounds are located. Finally, this also results in an experience of the music just being present in your listening space, not coming from the speakers. Often explained as speakers "vanishing" in subjective speaker reviews.

Commercial disclaimer: Imaging & soundstage are qualities I find important, so I strive to achieve this in my designs. You will therefore necessarily find that the list below matches well with our designs. My intent of this thread is not to discuss our designs specifically, but to discuss the technical properties enabling this quality from a general perspective. Possibly also going into detail on what is likely most important, how much the implementation matters (can you check the boxes on this list and still fail?), and wherever else this thread may lead us. :) Personally I think this is a very interesting topic, hopefully others agree.

Below is a list of important factors (not necessarily in order of importance) based on my experience.
  1. Point source. I don't think this is controversial, and I think this is almost a prerequisite. Coaxial drivers are of course the easy approach to this. There are speakers with traditional drivers that sound big too, but interestingly it's often 2-way speakers with relatively small drivers and/or with at least the midrange and tweeter placed pretty close to each other. Exactly why this elevates the quality of soundstage and imaging I'm not sure.
  2. Even off-axis response / controlled directivity, so that reflections feel like a natural addition to the direct sound as opposed to being perceived as a distraction or noise.
  3. Linear phase crossover between the tweeter and midrange.
  4. Less late reflections. So a well damped room, speakers not too far away, and/or cardioid speakers.
  5. Enough level and capacity in both the deep bass and the midbass. This I think is another relatively well known thing, that well defined, deep bass can often add to the sensation of space.

EDIT: Additions to the list based on the discussion, with my comments (will edit again as the discussion progresses):
6. Placement and toe-in naturally affects this quality.
6b. Many argue that the speakers have to be well away from the front wall for good three dimensional, especially in the depth plane. I find this to partially true, but suspect there is one area where the mind plays some tricks on us. Seeing a speaker close to the wall, makes it harder to accept depth cues.
7. Sidewall reflections. This definitely affects this quality, but personally I've had varied results which make this a somewhat confusing one. In several rooms I've ended up not dampening the sidewalls for the best soundstage, while in others the opposite was true. o_O
Directivity (also mentioned in point 2) - I'm not sure it's entirely clear what works here. My own designs are I guess somewhere in between wide and narrow directivity, and that subjectively works very well, but that's not to say that a different approach can't work well too.
9. Well tamed low-end (so good extension with smooth response) has also been suggested. I'm not sure if that is true directly, or perhaps indirectly due to the fact that uneven bass takes away our attention from the rest.

EDIT #2:
Adding an interesting quote from @Duke that I think perhaps quite precisely describes what we are after: "The spatial cues on the recording are perceptually dominant over the spatial cues of the playback room."

General reflection:
We could perhaps form the theory that there are a number of elements that need to come together to create this magic, and the exact combination of ingredients may not be the same for each room(?). Which may be one reason why it's a bit elusive. The same speaker definitely doesn't present the same level of soundstage across rooms, so the room + placement is a significant factor.

What else? Agree/disagre? Any reflections (pun intended) to share on the subject? :)
A speaker thats not a point source, ie a twoway or threeway speaker is having a bit of ” sameness” on every recording regarding the size of the soundstage , which will show less differences than possible , compared to a true point source .

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Here's an example of a relatively new pop (ish) track with a large soundstage and quite a lot going on
1698858111748.png

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I found out I don't like huge soundstage as it sounds unnatural
sometimes a more focused soundstage is better

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then you can just use cheaper interconnects and power cords ;)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

I met a couple of people with that opinion. Strange folks. :D

Top Bottom