• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proof that speaker cables make a difference

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I should have expected a smart ass response like that from you!

It may be appropriate, since I think I originated and described the use of Uh huh on this forum.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...a-dac-has-a-sound-signature.9245/#post-240218

Others may have come to use it more often than me, so I had to go ahead and start typing it instead of just thinking it so I wouldn't feel I'd lost my franchise.

PS: I never use emojis.

PPS: The real origin of this particular incarceratium of the term Uh huh! , I will attribute to Thingfish:

[Thing-Fish:]
Just like you! I see some of y'all be FROWNIN'... 'cause mebbe y'think what I's tellin' ya' is a LIE! How 'bout it, folks? Whatcha say? Id dat right?

[Ensemble:]
Yes, it sho' is!

[Thing-Fish:]
Well, les' jes' have a test... how many o' you nice folks think I knows what I's talkin' 'bout? RAISE Y'HAIN UP! Uh-huh!

An' how many thinks my potato been bakin' too long? RAISE YO MIZZABLE HAIN UP! Uh-huh!

Universal Cereal Bus

Transmission line theory is applied to transmission lines at 50Hz and 60Hz. A 6km line will stay charged with reflections for a while. The wavelength at 50Hz is 6000km.
And the wavelength at 20 kHz is 15 km. Are you suggesting your cables are designed for these distances?

I have to admit, that is some big-brain marketing. Basic cable peddlers will only claim improvements in meters of cable, greatly limiting the total amount of cable they can sell to any given sucker. By re-framing the audio shortfall in terms of transmission line theory, you've invented a problem that can only be solved by kilometers-worth of purchases. Bravo!

Mike B

And the wavelength at 20 kHz is 15 km. Are you suggesting your cables are designed for these distances?

I have to admit, that is some big-brain marketing. Basic cable peddlers will only claim improvements in meters of cable, greatly limiting the total amount of cable they can sell to any given sucker. By re-framing the audio shortfall in terms of transmission line theory, you've invented a problem that can only be solved by kilometers-worth of purchases. Bravo!

Uh-huh!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I know but (and I'm being super picky because this is a much better and more modern forum, especially with the dark mode than many), but being able to "Like" .. "Disagree", "Agree" or "LOL" would save a lot of effort, and non-contributing real estate in threads... Your friends at audiophilstyle nailed it...

I think that could lead to some new people especially feeling gang raped chased away by the ankle biters, even more than they are now.

To me, simple is better in this case.

Consistently supporting positive replies just seems like it works pretty well, but I'm not staking out some position.

Also, sometimes a well timed meme is just the thing...

OP
win

win

Sealioning: the thread

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They use transformers to match the impedance.
Ah. I see. These are for impedance matching. I always thought they are for stepping up or down the power line voltages. ;)

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I use emojis to communicate tone to readers who do not read English at the level to infer it, especially with sarcasm. Native English speakers and experts in ESL can probably ignore them. Emojis can be helpful for a significant part of the audience here.

Of course you can just use explicit words, but I like being able to write with tone and then use emojis to translate the tone and make what is already implicit more accessible. :cool:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use emojis to communicate tone to readers who do not read English at the level to infer it, especially with sarcasm. Native English speakers and experts in ESL can probably ignore them. Emojis can be helpful for a significant part of the audience here.

Of course you can just use explicit words, but I like being able to write with tone and then use emojis to translate the tone and make what is already implicit more accessible. :cool:

At one point I disliked the emojis but learned that they can be a quick and fairly well understood comment....depends on the forum software as to available options I imagine....and some can be bad.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
At one point I disliked the emojis but learned that they can be a quick and fairly well understood comment....depends on the forum software as to available options I imagine....and some can be bad.
It disgusts me when emojis are used as a replacment for words, so I can understand how someone who appreciates words might risk missing their value and utility.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It disgusts me when emojis are used as a replacment for words, so I can understand how someone who appreciates words might risk missing their value and utility.

Am talking about the built - in emojis for basic reactions....not just the like or not option this forum offers....not particularly the use of emojis in general altho am more open to such these days compared to my curmudgeonly beginnings :)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Am talking about the built - in emojis for basic reactions....not just the like or not option this forum offers....not particularly the use of emojis in general altho am more open to such these days compared to my curmudgeonly beginnings :)
Those reaction emojis are fine. I agree with those who said they allow you to react without making the thread 100 pages of redundant posts. I like more options, but the one option here works. I also agree with Woody, we should be careful what we add.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those reaction emojis are fine. I agree with those who said they allow you to react without making the thread 100 pages of redundant posts. I like more options, but the one option here works. I also agree with Woody, we should be careful what we add.

Without Amir's comments/preferences who knows?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Amir will have the test cables soon. The delay is that he is getting a new set of, 3m current production cables as well so that he can listen. They are being manufactured as I write. Despatch tomorrow.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate that you have stepped forward in this manner.

Max Townshend

Audio Company
A properly functioning high voltage AC power transmission network does not have reflections. The photo that you often post is of a failure mode and like a square wave or step function, the frequency is not 50/60Hz.
When functioning under normal conditions, there are no reflections in mains lines, as there impedance matching.
It is a day-to-day routine all over the world whenever a transmission line idisconnected from the generator and load. After the oil-filled load-carrying circuit breakers have opened, the transmission line is then isolated. The residual multiple reflecting, electromagnetic and capacitive stored energy caused by the open circuit and impedance mismatch results in the fantastic arc that dissipate this stored nergy
Ah. I see. These are for impedance matching. I always thought they are for stepping up or down the power line voltages. ;)

View attachment 99674
The voltage is stepped up or down and the impedance up or down by the square of the voltage ratio.

Lambda

Major Contributor
At least for RF frequencies, this is definitely wrong because the reflection is determined at the impedance boundary, so six 50-ohm cables in parallel reflect like six 50-ohm cables in parallel, not a single 8.2 ohm cable.
Of cuase you can put (coax)cabels in parallel to get lower transmission line impedance!
this is commonly done to build quater wave transformer
fig6p.gif

pZepN91IgpDdDSXC0-SpDLTBmtm-GyupyEmxEkWxeN9S09l6GPTvL5VzQLbA51M4dye1o0dPKMhuyQ0uQE3eWfwlkTPGUOw

Top Bottom