• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Powerful Headphone Amp with high current.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Vioelectric V281 can deliver 240mA and reach 17V in 70ohm = 4W (voltage = equal to what a 70W/4ohm amp would deliver)
Much more than your Abyss will EVER see.

Joe from abyss wants to sell their own amps and maybe even upgrade cables. He clearly has financial gain here.

The link does not work but the V281 is already overkill.

Last edited:
OP
R

reasons

The Vioelectric V281 can deliver 240mA and reach 17V in 70ohm = 4W (voltage = equal to what a 70W/4ohm amp would deliver)
Much more than your Abyss will EVER see.

Joe from abyss wants to sell their own amps and maybe even upgrade cables. He clearly has financial gain here.

The link does not work but the V281 is already overkill.
Link updated

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
He is telling porkies.
The math I did above (based on actual measurements from Amir) show he talks nonsense.

OP
R

reasons

He is telling porkies.
The math I did above (based on actual measurements from Amir) show he talks nonsense.
thank you for all your help. I much appreciate it. Let me ask you, would a k9 pro ESS or an RME ADI 2pro fsr b (both using the higher power balanced outputs) work? Looking for a smaller solution for a desk setup and landed on these 2.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
K9 = 9V (voltage limited, not current limited) = 1.2W in 70 ohm SE and 17V (4W) in balanced mode)
RME = 9.5V (voltage limited, not current limited) = 1.3W in 70 ohm SE and 18V (4.5W) in balanced mode)

OP
R

reasons

K9 = 9V (voltage limited, not current limited) = 1.2W in 70 ohm SE and 17V (4W) in balanced mode)
RME = 9.5V (voltage limited, not current limited) = 1.3W in 70 ohm SE and 18V (4.5W) in balanced mode)
I appreciate this, thank you for all the help. I’m likely going to go with the K9 Pro

OP
R

reasons

One more questions, is there a amp similar to the a90 but with a bit more power?

The sp400 looked great but there seems as if there is a high gain issue and it would max out hard to drive planars (looking to upgrade to susvara in the future as well)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Greg Strickland

Echoing what others posted, in my way of thinking of it-

Headphone amplifier must produce voltage swing necessary to produce desired peak headroom above desired sound pressure level. In order to be a constant voltage source with respect to load impedance the source (amplifier output) impedance would be much lower impedance, perhaps 1/10 of the load impedance. That source would need to be OK and stable working into the capacitance and inductance present in a load impedance (as opposed to a pure resistance)

So... for 25 ohm impedance headphone, I'd want an amplifier with less than 2 ohm output impedance, with the ability to produce desired voltage swing into 2 ohms, given the efficiency of the headphone to produce desired sound pressure level.

Back in the '70s and '80s we used "hi-fi" power amplifiers in the lower power ranges 25 to 50 watts to drive studio headphones, which at that time were usually very low impedance. As higher impedance headphones such at Beyer DT-100 (etc.) series came along, the same amplifier could be used to drive several pairs in parallel. Each headphone could even have a stereo pot of say 50 ohms to 100 ohms to control level. Not technically perfect because the source drive impedance is increased, but stable and workable in a studio environment.
And talent is unlikely to damage the amplifier, regardless of what they plugged in.

I think the big thing now is getting the voltage swing into 25 ohms with a USB powered headphone amplifier that is subject to power limitations of a host USB connector. Some may say simply buy higher impedance headphones. However, that limits your choices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom