• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power conditioners

Nobleman

Just bought a Hypex ncore based amp and given these are direct ac coupled, I was wondering whether the amp would benefit from a power conditioner/ noise filter. What is the general practice here?

Gregss

Just bought a Hypex ncore based amp and given these are direct ac coupled, I was wondering whether the amp would benefit from a power conditioner/ noise filter. What is the general practice here?
Might want to try the search tool. This discussion had been had multiple times

jae

Major Contributor
Couple videos on the youtube channel about this as well

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
To expand a bit, most class-D amplifiers use very tightly-regulated supplies that inherently (must) reject line noise and voltage variations. Any power supply should provide very high isolation from the input power source, since it converts from AC to DC with massive filtering on the DC side, but class D amplifiers even more so by design and implementation. Furthermore, class D amplifiers (and the switch-mode power supplies usually used with them) operate (switch) at frequencies well above the audio band (no more power supply noise in the audio band, hurray!) That means they will not benefit from filtering on the input (wall) power source.

HTH - Don

OP
Nobleman

Nobleman

Thanks guys. That’s settled then. Can’t wait to redolent my Hypex puppies this weekend! :cool:

Lambda

Major Contributor
given these are direct ac coupled,
What do you mean by this?

I was wondering whether the amp would benefit from a power conditioner/ noise filter. What is the general practice here?
Not enough to be worth it.

But some common mode filtering is good practice to reduce EMI from switching powersupplys and Class Ds

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean by this?

Not enough to be worth it.

But some common mode filtering is good practice to reduce EMI from switching powersupplys and Class Ds
I agree, I add a Corcom line filter when I build a class D amp, from an abundance of caution about line RFI/EMI.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No.

delta76

Major Contributor
As a rule of thumb, your system is limited by the weakest link. And the weakest link is never the power supply, any power conditioner will be a waste of money. Spend money elsewhere.
Not an absolute list, but this is how I would spend money upgrading my system, in order of priority from high to low
speakers > source > dac > amp >>>>>>> cables >>>>>>> power conditioner and other gimmick

and don't forget room treatment and correction.

unicore

I need some advice regarding the power delivery to my audio components. My primary need is to get some sort of a power sockets extensions, since I gave only one power sockets available near my audio devices.

I got a good deal opportunity for the used Adept Response aR6 unit for €1200, so I like the idea since I can get six power sockets with some filtering and power surge protection. Do you recommend to take the used unit or to get a quality power strip, for example Supra along with some quality power cord for devices?

Thank you in advance for advices.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I got a good deal opportunity for the used Adept Response aR6 unit for €1200, so I like the idea since I can get six power sockets with some filtering and power surge protection. Do you recommend to take the used unit or to get a quality power strip, for example Supra along with some quality power cord for devices?
Just get any old power strip, and don’t waste any money on power cables. The ones that came with your equipment are fine. Do you need surge protection? Most EU countries have decent power delivery… but if you want it, surely it can be had for way less than a Supra strip. But if you like the looks, go for it!

Only use products that have a safety sticker, like 'UL' but not 'CE'.
Good luck finding a European power strip with UL…

Top Bottom