• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power amp under $250 -- does this thing exist?

wolframite

Maybe it doesn't exist...?
Recommendations welcome?

+++++++

Must-have
  1. Can drive bookshelf speakers at ~90dB sensitivity to moderate listening levels
  2. Under $250 price
  3. Quality as good as possible within that budget
  4. Passive cooling (zero fans!)
  5. XLR inputs
Ideal product: Power section only -- no volume knob / bluetooth / DAC / etc (my $$$ going towards power section as much as possiblele; got a separate RME ADI-2 DAC + computer, so ZERO need for preamp functionality)
Have looked at (and initially rejected):
  • Sabaj A30a, SMSL AO300 and A300 -- no XLR, and I don't want to pay for things I won't use (DAC, etc)

staticV3

Master Contributor
I don't think you'll be able to to find a quality Power Amp (=no built-in Pre) for $250 New.

There are some quality Int Amps at that price though:

Fosi ZA3
Topping PA3S
Topping RA3
Topping PA5 II

Those all have Balanced XLR/TRS input.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've been using an AVR as a power amp for years. There really isn't a problem with having a volume control, it can make things easier at setting levels with an outboard DAC or preamp. And with the setup I'm now using it makes connecting to multiple sources easier, though that might not be an issue for you. My AVR has a sub out, variable line level, for hooking up to a powered sub (which I have). As I bought the AVR used at a thrift store for $50 it's among the greatest bargains I've encountered so far. This AVR has 100 watts a side in two channel stereo, has no issues powering my floor standing speakers. I'm not saying that you should go out and buy a used AVR, but don't rule out an integrated amp. There's a number that have been reviewed here that should work for you.

Last edited:

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't mind; what can be had USED in US (that would in EU), or in EU at that price?
s-l1600.jpg

Lead sleds are a dime a dozen. Have you checked your local equivalent of Craigslist?

Slightly less snarky, I have much newer Crown amps (tested by Amir) that have enough wattage to blow up any speakers I own, and the fans don't come on in normal residential usage.

OP
W

wolframite

I don't think you'll be able to to find a quality Power Amp (=no built-in Pre) for $250 New.

There are some quality Int Amps at that price though:

Fosi ZA3
Topping PA3S
Topping RA3
Topping PA5 II

Those all have Balanced XLR/TRS input.
thank you, checking those out RIGHT NOW :)

Svet Angelov

Some good old Rotel power amps can be found for even less. Readily available in Europe, I assume in the US it would be the same case. NAD is also an option. Even if they're old, chances are they're good enough to be audibly transparent.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Some good old Rotel power amps can be found for even less. Readily available in Europe, I assume in the US it would be the same case. NAD is also an option. Even if they're old, chances are they're good enough to be audibly transparent.
None of those in that price range has XLR inputs, though.

Svet Angelov

None of those in that price range has XLR inputs, though.
ooooh my bad, I forgot about that one!

Then indeed crown amps may be your savior.

And if I may also ask; are you absolutely set on the balanced inputs? You mentioned bookshelves and a computer. If the distance is not very,very long, balanced will offer no additional benefit other than the higher gain. Which you can make up for with the monster of an amp you can get that has just RCA's :)

BTW I run 15m. RCA interconnects in one system and suffer from no ground loops.

OP
W

wolframite

ooooh my bad, I forgot about that one!

Then indeed crown amps may be your savior.

And if I may also ask; are you absolutely set on the balanced inputs? You mentioned bookshelves and a computer. If the distance is not very,very long, balanced will offer no additional benefit other than the higher gain. Which you can make up for with the monster of an amp you can get that has just RCA's :)

BTW I run 15m. RCA interconnects in one system and suffer from no ground loops.
fair point. happy to relax the "has XLR" requirements.
If we get rid of that requirement... what products exist?

Svet Angelov

fair point. happy to relax the "has XLR" requirements.
If we get rid of that requirement... what products exist?
Rotel RB series would be my first choice, not for anything else but the fact that I've used some for years with zero trouble (and no recaps needed, after 2+ decades).

RB 1050, RB-03 or 06, RC-970BX or 980BX.

I think these should be available for ~300usd. Maybe the RB 03 will be the cheapest of the bunch, i've seen one go for 200 euros here in the main Dutch reseller website.

staticV3

Master Contributor
And if I may also ask; are you absolutely set on the balanced inputs? You mentioned bookshelves and a computer. If the distance is not very,very long, balanced will offer no additional benefit other than the higher gain.
Ground loops can happen regardless of cable length, and a balanced input is a great resource for suppressing those.

melomane13

if you live in europe , look for the t.amp S-150 MK II, t.amp S-100 MK II or t.amp S-75 MK II , under 200€ at thomann store

staticV3

Master Contributor
thank you, checking those out RIGHT NOW :)
As luck would have it, Amir just published his review of the ZA3:

You can now directly compare it to the Topping Amps:

Last edited:
OP
W

wolframite

pp
As luck would have it, Amir just published his review of the ZA3:
It's my lucky day :) YES this once fits the bill nicely!
...especially if I get it with XLR inputs!

3125b

Major Contributor
XLR input isn't necessary unless the amp is an IEC Class I device (with ground).

I was in a similar situation and went for the SMSL DA-9 about a year ago. There might be better options now. It has worked well for me though, using it with a pair of KEF R5 at my desk. The noise level is noticably lower than my Denon AVR, should be inaudible at 5-10cm with average sentitivity speaker. It is also very efficient, in idle it only draws 2.6W which is the lowest I've seen for any speaker amp. Although chip-amps tend to be fairly efficient.

Top Bottom