• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

Katji

Major Contributor
I thought it woud be interesting to compare with baton rounds and rubber bullets, etc., which I thought were also about 1 inch diameter, but I checked some Wiki pages and there are so many variations, especially in mass. Anyway, the velocity is extremely different. Mach 20, no wonder this is at a NASA place. :)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought it woud be interesting to compare with baton rounds and rubber bullets, etc., which I thought were also about 1 inch diameter, but I checked some Wiki pages and there are so many variations, especially in mass. Anyway, the velocity is extremely different. Mach 20, no wonder this is at a NASA place. :)
It just shows how important v is, compared to m. Energy scales with m, but squares with v. That's why even a grain of space dust can disable a spacecraft if the collision speed is fast enough.

S.

Habu

Major Christin “Sparta” Voor was stationed at Barksdale AFB in April of 2019.
She serves as the USAF Division Commander, Test Pilot, and B-52 Pilot/Instructor at the base
4A6BF857-DABD-4E24-9404-07C11ABAF8CB.jpeg

Last edited:

norcalscott

Forum Donor
This fire season has been terrible in California. The picture below is one I took from our back porch August 4th of the start of the River Fire, at this point it was about 5 acres and about 13 miles from my home as the crow flies. It ended up growing to nearly 3,000 acres burning 80 or so homes by the time that the heroic fire fighters got it under control. They threw everything they had at it, at one point they had 50 aircraft in the air dropping water and fire retardant. We were lucky in that it spread to the left in this picture rather than coming our way, although we did have to evacuate. Had it come my way, there would have been thousands of homes threatened - thank goodness they were able to get it under control.
20210804_151628 - Copy.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
And this year such terrible situations in southern Europe. If it is going to increase with the climate change situation,.....it's a depressing scenario.

It happens every year, to some extent, in Cape Town and parts of California, but this year it's been worse,...come to think of it, the last few years has been worse, in regions where it doesn't happen every year. Then Sydney, Australia - quite unprecedented, as far as I know. and now this year in southern Europe. I don't know about Sydney but the other places all have the same climate, Mediterranean type.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
It's so dry here this year - this part of California doesn't get rain from June through September (Mediterranean type as you mention), but we had a light snow winter, and a very dry spring, and the temperatures have been way above normal so far this summer, so everything is bone dry. Doesn't take much to spark a fire, like thunderstorm lightning. The climate has definitely changed and it does seem to be accelerating.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone in Sierra Foothills had better fire proof their home and surroundings and now.

Good luck. Hell is coming.

Katji

Major Contributor
Hell is what many Greeks must be thinking now. :(

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
well, Siberias Yakutia fires are even larger than all the others going on at the moment combined, it's just that there's not much/enough info comming through

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Rush hour in Mumbai
156671119_4cf6d46b58_z.jpg

Top Bottom