• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Best Looking Stereo Integrated Amp

Which of the following amps will look best with the rest of my system?

• Devialet Expert 400 (current amp)

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Luxman L509X

Votes: 32 31.4%
  • McIntosh MA8900

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Technics SU R1000

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Yamaha AS 3200

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are you kidding me?

Do you know how much easier it is to buy Revox and Studer decks where you live than where I live? ;)

My A807 had to be shipped on a palette from the Netherlands to Seattle.
Oh, I specifically meant agonising over the colours of VU meters ;).

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm glad the Luxman won. I voted for it, because I have one and am very happy with it. But it was really a semiotic question - the Luxman (with the Yamaha a close second) is the ur-integrated ... it calls to mind what we thought of as an "integrated amplifier", back in the day - an heir to the glorious big-iron era. I hope you follow through, get one, and enjoy it in the best of health and circumstances.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm glad the Luxman won. I voted for it, because I have one and am very happy with it. But it was really a semiotic question - the Luxman (with the Yamaha a close second) is the ur-integrated ... it calls to mind what we thought of as an "integrated amplifier", back in the day - an heir to the glorious big-iron era. I hope you follow through, get one, and enjoy it in the best of health and circumstances.

Which Luxman model do you have?

TBH, looks aside, the functionality of the Devialet is hard to give up.

It's such a Swiss army knife, especially when it comes to streaming and phono configurations.

Even though it may look like a tarted up French hotplate designed to warm up blinis.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which Luxman model do you have?

TBH, looks aside, the functionality of the Devialet is hard to give up.

It's such a Swiss army knife, especially when it comes to streaming and phono configurations.

Even though it may look like a tarted up French hotplate designed to warm up blinis.

I have the 509x, with JBL 4367s. Admittedly a bit self-consciously retro, but fabulous sound, and nervosa-free.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The white meters on the L-509X (the best Luxman integrated) match the white-yellow meters on my Revox (my 2nd best deck), but the yellow meters on the L-590AXII (the 2nd best Luxman integrated) better match the amber meters on my Studer (my best deck).

I think you already know the answer...
You need both.

I try my best to take on these societal burdens so that others don't have to.

Just like Spider Man.

0c2b7cad7341c6ee755cc302d767f6f8.jpeg

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have the 509x, with JBL 4367s. Admittedly a bit self-consciously retro, but fabulous sound, and nervosa-free.

How do you find the headphone output?

The 800 ohm output impedance concerns me and most of the reviews say its, basically, barely passable.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Oh, I specifically meant agonising over the colours of VU meters ;).
I guess you can count me in on this. I have never seriously considered any HiFi kit over $10k except speakers, but I have definitely agonized over VU meter colors. I would not pick a silver faced amp over this though. When my Marantz receiver had blue LEDs, I just put fuse bulbs back in it. Voila!

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I guess you can count me in on this. I have never seriously considered any HiFi kit over $10k except speakers, but I have definitely agonized over VU meter colors. I would not pick a silver faced amp over this though. When my Marantz receiver had blue LEDs, I just put fuse bulbs back in it. Voila!

Some people take the Revox R2R decks in the opposite direction:

sonorus-audio.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

But, really, those people just need to be tracked down by bounty hunters.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Some people take the Revox R2R decks in the opposite direction:...
But, really, those people just need to be tracked down by bounty hunters.

Someone had done something similarly atrocious with the Marantz I mentioned. Blue just like the top tape deck you posted. They made it look, not only butchered and misused, but also sort of fake, like the "Accuphase" amps on AliExpress.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On reflection, looking at all these amps, one of the things I miss is the push-button input selector.
Just being able to select your next input without going through them all.
The last one I had like that was a Goodmans one-ten decades ago!
They did a modest wood cased one with silver fascia
Goodmans 1-10.jpg

or the one I had, which I could not find a picture of, which was a white painted sleeve and black fascia decades before that became popular!
Back then buying locally made stuff rather than imported was the norm, probably in every country, so this probably won't be familiar to non-Brits.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
On reflection, looking at all these amps, one of the things I miss is the push-button input selector.
Just being able to select your next input without going through them all.
The last one I had like that was a Goodmans one-ten decades ago!
They did a modest wood cased one with silver fascia
View attachment 101123
or the one I had, which I could not find a picture of, which was a white painted sleeve and black fascia decades before that became popular!
Back then buying locally made stuff rather than imported was the norm, probably in every country, so this probably won't be familiar to non-Brits.

Back then being about what year, in this case?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Back then being about what year, in this case?
Around 1971 at a guess.
I bought it from Audio-T when it was a small outlet on the 4th floor of 119 Oxford St. in London and Martin Colloms was one of the sales team. It came with a distortion chart from measurements he made in the shop :)
I changed it for a Cambridge Audio P60 a few years later.
Cambridge P60.jpg

Hiten

<snip>
You are very correct. Here is a local (India) manufacturer.
http://www.norgeaudio.com/amp2060.php
They still use push button selector switch. The fit and finish maynot be of high standards but somehow the 55 year old company has survived cheap manufactured imports and very low demands. The Owner (Mr. bajaj) worked at Tandberg-Norway in '60s. He is no more and some lady manages the works I am told.
Regards.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You are very correct. Here is a local (India) manufacturer.
http://www.norgeaudio.com/amp2060.php
They still use push button selector switch. The fit and finish maynot be of high standards but somehow the 55 year old company has survived cheap manufactured imports and very low demands. The Owner (Mr. bajaj) worked at Tandberg-Norway in '60s. He is no more and some lady manages the works I am told.
Regards.

That's not a bad looking little amp.

Nice clean design, but not so minimalist it looks like a computer.

Top Bottom