• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Best Looking Stereo Integrated Amp

Which of the following amps will look best with the rest of my system?

• Devialet Expert 400 (current amp)

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Luxman L509X

Votes: 32 31.4%
  • McIntosh MA8900

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Technics SU R1000

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Yamaha AS 3200

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It was a year ago I started this thread.

From time to time, someone would ask if I was going to actually buy any of these.

So, a year later, here are the photos of what I bought:

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It was a year ago I started this thread.

From time to time, someone would ask if I was going to actually buy any of these.

So, a year later, here are the photos of what I bought:

View attachment 174593

View attachment 174596

View attachment 174598

View attachment 174600

View attachment 174602

Very nicely put together.

Does your cat prefer it to the Devialet?

I think my cats would protest if I ever got rid of mine. I've convinced myself that the paw prints are cute...

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Very nicely put together.

Does your cat prefer it to the Devialet?

I think my cats would protest if I ever got rid of mine. I've convinced myself that the paw prints are cute...

Thanks!

The amps seem transparent to the cats as heat sources.

But I haven't tried an A/B test where I put the Luxman and the Devialet side by side and see which they prefer.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
As true to my style:

The best objectively performing gear, and best value for money, is completely hidden.

Not seen, stuffed behind the shelving:

Raspberry Pi Roon Endpoint + Schiit Modius

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks!

The amps seem transparent to the cats as heat sources.

But I haven't tried an A/B test where I put the Luxman and the Devialet side by side and see which they prefer.
Heat that penetrates through a blanket right to the skin sort of heat. Feels good.

So after all this stuff how does it sound?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Heat that penetrates through a blanket right to the skin sort of heat. Feels good.

So after all this stuff how does it sound?

A bit to my surprise -- very different from the Devialet.

SAM is of course out of the picture, but even when I would turn SAM off, they two amps sound quite a bit different.

The Devialet is inarguably more powerful at peak output, but looking at the VU meters on the Luxman, I end up listening to both at -20 dB, so they're both loafing. But the Luxman does sound better at lower volumes -- I'm not sure if it's because of the difference in distortion curve vs power output between the two amp topologies, the differences in the types of power supplies, or something else.

Phono stage is now fully analog, vs the DSP-based one of the Devialet. The Devialet phono stage is probably a bit more accurate, but the Luxman has better overloud margin by quite a bit -- and also more overload margin than the puffin. It's a pretty darn good phono stage, though, especially for one built-in.

The headphone jack is a bit of a mystery, though. With everything except my HE6SE, cans get plenty loud, but don't sound as tonally balanced as a separate headphone amp, probably because the output impedance is too high.

Despite the lowish-rated 85 dB sens and 4 ohm impedance of the Heritage Specials, giving them a reputation for being a bit hard to drive, the L-590AXII has no problem driving them in my medium sized room, possibly because the Luxman puts out amount of current.

The haptics are awesome -- the input relay switches go clicky when you change inputs or settings, the knobs go thunk, and the volume knob is like butter.

Having a record in / out, with a MONITOR switch is much better to use with a tape deck than the Devialet does. And the SEPARATION mode lets me integrate a DSP room correction device between pre- and power amps if I want to.

I could say more, but this is ASR and it's asking for a fight to get into audiophile creative writing.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But the Luxman does sound better at lower volumes -- I'm not sure if it's because of the difference in distortion curve vs power output between the two amp topologies, the differences in the types of power supplies, or something else.
There are those that claim class AB-peak is all that matters and then others think linear is better. I forget the model of Devialet but it's some high number in the several hundreds of watts/ch?

Phono stage is now fully analog, vs the DSP-based one of the Devialet. The Devialet phono stage is probably a bit more accurate, but the Luxman has better overloud margin by quite a bit -- and also more overload margin than the puffin. It's a pretty darn good phono stage, though, especially for one built-in.
I don't get the infatuation with phono stages. I thought they are comprised of a limited amount of components and stages. Peeps say they can design and build them effectively. I'm confused. :D

Despite the lowish-rated 85 dB sens and 4 ohm impedance of the Heritage Specials, giving them a reputation for being a bit hard to drive, the L-590AXII has no problem driving them in my medium sized room, possibly because the Luxman puts out amount of current.
I don't see a service manual available online so fantasy numbers cannot be calculated. But from the power supply numbers that are being given and the class A rating to ~30w/ch@8Ω it will have some grunt and most likely exceed that rating.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don't see a service manual available online so fantasy numbers cannot be calculated. But from the power supply numbers that are being given and the class A rating to ~30w/ch@8Ω it will have some grunt and most likely exceed that rating.

It was tested by one of the British mags as:

95W@8 ohms / 165W@4 ohms

The 30W@8/60W@4 that Luxman gives is apparently for pure Class A mode.

dan_47

Anyone who owns the Luxman L 509 x can share what speakers is he using with this amp,

Thanks

Daniel

Top Bottom