• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help with speaker placement in my awkwardly shaped room

R1c0c0

Dear ASR members,

Could anyone advise which speaker arrangement would be more favorable for me in this type of room ? The size is between ~12-16 sq m I don't remember clearly. The proportions are pretty much accurate that I drew in paint. No room treatment nor room correction yet. If needed I can completely leave the wardrobe out. AC can be moved around if needed I'll might get a smaller bed don't know yet but the glass door will definitely be replaced with a full MDF door.

Placement1.png

Placement2.png

And some shots of my room minus the speakers that I already sold will be replaced by Rokit 10-3 G4s + stands (cheapest 3 way sorry) please don't mind the aesthetics. I did some clicking around the room and there is very little slap echo around the wood and a little more around the walls I know this isn't adequate and possibly overthought given the circumstances but I would be more than happy if you help me with speaker placement.

IMG_4912.JPG
IMG_4910.JPG
IMG_3464.JPG
IMG_3465.JPG
IMG_3466.JPG

Please advise

Many thanks

ozzy9832001

No matter where you setup that room is going to be challenging. You have slanted ceilings and an alcove. However, rarely are rooms ideal.

For me, I'd think the second position is best with the bed to the right of the door and the speakers under the slanted ceiling. This is probably the most symmetrical layout.

The bed is absorptive ..sort of and the door is fully. If opened sound would literally go right out the door. This could be beneficial if the room is small to help relieve some of the low frequency pressure. Glass is reflective, but a cheaper MDF/Hollow core door is not, at least not for Low Frequencies.

Or wait...is that ceiling slanted or is that like a make shift blind with a piece of ply wood. Hard to tell from the imagine. If it's not slanted then that should be your speaker location.

I'd get a measuring tape and measure the dimensions so we have better info to go on, but from what I can see that's my vote.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go with the second image location for the speakers. With all that irregular shaping of the room it's either going to be a blessing or a pain in the butt for sound quality. I suspect more to the blessing side of things. :D

OP
R

R1c0c0

No matter where you setup that room is going to be challenging. You have slanted ceilings and an alcove. However, rarely are rooms ideal.

For me, I'd think the second position is best with the bed to the right of the door and the speakers under the slanted ceiling. This is probably the most symmetrical layout.

The bed is absorptive ..sort of and the door is fully. If opened sound would literally go right out the door. This could be beneficial if the room is small to help relieve some of the low frequency pressure. Glass is reflective, but a cheaper MDF/Hollow core door is not, at least not for Low Frequencies.

Or wait...is that ceiling slanted or is that like a make shift blind with a piece of ply wood. Hard to tell from the imagine. If it's not slanted then that should be your speaker location.

I'd get a measuring tape and measure the dimensions so we have better info to go on, but from what I can see that's my vote.
thanks for the thorough reply I also think the second arrangement would be more ideal mainly because of the slightly bigger speakers… I just needed confirmation.

No the ceiling isn’t slanted also the blind is a regular curtain on a simple rail I’m planning to tailor it and split the curtain right in the middle so I can enjoy some view when producing.

My biggest concern was the alcove do you think I should fit a wardrobe in there ?

Gonna do some measuring over the weekend as I already had to move some stuff around. Will let you know in the replies.

thanks again really helped me a lot !

OP
R

R1c0c0

I would go with the second image location for the speakers. With all that irregular shaping of the room it's either going to be a blessing or a pain in the butt for sound quality. I suspect more to the blessing side of things. :D
I also vote for the second image myself I just needed more eyes to help me out Being positive I like it ! Unfortunately gonna need me another month to find out how it sounds in practice as the krk’s aren’t in stock right now will let you know as soon as I get them it’s gonna be a long month Thanks for the reply though

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I would go with a nearfield setup as seen in your last two pics. The nearfield setup has the advantage that you hear as much of the direct on-axis sound from the speaker and the least of the room. Maybe toe out the speakers a bit so the tweeter axes point at your ear. Also use RoomEQ. Have fun.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go with a nearfield setup as seen in your last two pics. The nearfield setup has the advantage that you hear as much of the direct on-axis sound from the speaker and the least of the room. Maybe toe out the speakers a bit so the tweeter axes point at your ear. Also use RoomEQ. Have fun.
Yes EQ is a primary need. Use PEQ. If using Windows install EQ APO and then install Peace Equalizer and open Peace Equalizer and adjust to your heart's content.
If using a Mac PC then install eqMac or SoundSource but not both.

OP
R

R1c0c0

Good point hmm I do believe that what matters more over room acoustics is what’s coming out of the speakers within the first metre as you can barely hear room interaction sitting that close although being too close started hurting my ears especially my right ear in the corner I could just shift everything a little to the left and I’d be sound… NOW YOU HAVE ME TORN as the first two replies were voting for no.2
Do you think rme’s 3 band total mix eq would do the trick in terms of room eq ? Also krk’s got a phone app that i can use to listen to the speakers/room and the speaker has dsp eq but those are eq presets… I’d use the krk app for recommendation leave the dsp flat and use that settings in totalmix

ozzy9832001

I also vote for the second image myself I just needed more eyes to help me out Being positive I like it ! Unfortunately gonna need me another month to find out how it sounds in practice as the krk’s aren’t in stock right now will let you know as soon as I get them it’s gonna be a long month Thanks for the reply though
How big is the wardrobe, because it actually could block a lot of the alcove simulating a wall there.

ozzy9832001

Truthfully, you may want to test both position and see which sounds better or spend the extra money on a calibrated mic and measure it. If your mixing the low end is going to be the struggle. While room interaction is reduced by being in a nearfield setup, it does play a huge role.

In my setup, I'm exactly 3ft from the speakers, and it's still very present, especially in the low end. Best spot will be the one with the fewest severe nulls and peaks.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Good point hmm I do believe that what matters more over room acoustics is what’s coming out of the speakers within the first metre as you can barely hear room interaction sitting that close although being too close started hurting my ears especially my right ear in the corner I could just shift everything a little to the left and I’d be sound… NOW YOU HAVE ME TORN as the first two replies were voting for no.2
Do you think rme’s 3 band total mix eq would do the trick in terms of room eq ? Also krk’s got a phone app that i can use to listen to the speakers/room and the speaker has dsp eq but those are eq presets… I’d use the krk app for recommendation leave the dsp flat and use that settings in totalmix
You need a parametric EQ for RoomEQ (a fixed band eq won’t work) with at least 5 to 7 bands, ideally more. See Doodskis recommendation.

Top Bottom