• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help me integrate my subwoofer

OP
K

kifeep

In the end I was able to get good results by using the alignment tool to adjust subwoofer delay/distance:

13 final.png

As it happened, the additional delay/distance was -7.69ms/-2.636m for a crossover at 60hz. I got this figure by averaging the calculated figures for aligning the sub to left and to right at the crossover frequency (they were pretty close already, but not identical). Despite @terryforsythe's warnings about the phase transition, the 60hz crossover point just measured smoother than other options. Aligning the sub to the mains screwed up the center crossover a little, but that's just a tradeoff I guess. I just chose the least bad of available options.

Plugging the ports was definitely not a good idea with these speakers. Instead of just changing the slope of the rolloff at the bottom end of the speaker, it depressed the bass response by something like 3bd/octave starting around 150hz.

I'm satisfied for today. On another day I'll try to fix another problem. Like all that LBIR between 100 and 200 hz.

Thank you all for all your advice. It was a big help, and I appreciate it.

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm going a little crazy trying to integrate my subwoofer. I managed to find a pretty good location for it, and here is my LF response after EQ:
View attachment 352135

LF response from the mains is also not too bad:
View attachment 352137

View attachment 352138

The trouble is that the FR gets worse no matter where I set the crossover:
View attachment 352139
View attachment 352140
View attachment 352141

I imagine this is a a timing issue, but I set the subwoofer timing as accurately as I could:
View attachment 352144

Also, as a side note, I see impulse variation between runs, with no changes on my part. Is this normal?:
View attachment 352145

Can you help me understand what's going on here? I'd also appreciate any help fixing the problem.

Here is a link to the mdat file: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ytoh...ion.mdat?rlkey=fvlnr7tfi5jfyqc8o8u0r2s7h&dl=0

Thanks.

Your sub is too early. You need to align the IR start for bandwidth-limited responses like subs. Do not align the IR peak of the subwoofer with the IR peak of sats.

Regarding inconsistent IR timing there is an issue with certain USB mics:

Top Bottom