• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cartridge ABX

JP

Major Contributor
I tried a new cartridge today that struck me as being very similar to one I listened to a few weeks ago, so I did some comparisons, and indeed it did! I should've bought a lottery ticket instead.

Here are four ABXs of the two cartridges, each with a different genre of music. I did a quick pass of de-clicking anything that showed up in one of the two laybacks, but left everything that showed up in both. Regardless, I humbly ask that folks not focus on finding those kinds of tells. I'll reveal what's what in a few weeks.

Bill Evans
Norah Jones
Steely Dan
Smashing Pumpkins

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
My hearing is too bad 40/60 correct incorrect on Bill Evans. 60/40 Norah Jones. IPad directly to Grado SR125 no eq.
Interesting since I yesterday definitely found that my -Shure V15 IV SAS-B equalized flat with Puffin Air=2- sounds a bit dull and onedimentional with less instrument separation, and lacking details compared to my Audio-Technica 33PTGii. Shure on Denon 51F and AT on Michell Gyro/SME V.
Could be an age thing (63)

Last edited:
Reactions: JP

narud

got 7/10 two times in a row on the steely dan clips so who knows if im really discerning anything. i start getting ear fatigued a/bing when theyre that close. started going back and forth on the smashing pumpkins files and my wife said she started feeling like she was sinking into the couch in a bad dream so i quit and put her out of her misery.

Tom C

Major Contributor
got 7/10 two times in a row on the steely dan clips so who knows if im really discerning anything. i start getting ear fatigued a/bing when theyre that close. started going back and forth on the smashing pumpkins files and my wife said she started feeling like she was sinking into the couch in a bad dream so i quit and put her out of her misery.
Ground Hog Day

OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
Activity on this has slowed way down, and I'll leave the tests up for a bit, so:

A - Lyra Kleos ($3,695 street)
B - Ortofon 2M Blue ($189 street)

Last edited:
OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
Haven‘t decided. May be better in their own thread to reference?

mglobe

Forum Donor
Haven‘t decided. May be better in their own thread to reference?

A thread with these and hopefully more of comparisons would be great. Even better if there were measurements to go along, perhaps revealed after some time had passed since the ABX.

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does the website align the tracks itself of do you have to manually cut the recordings? If so, is there an easy way to do that? I do it by eye but obviously that is not exact.

For simplicity's sake one can always show measurements in a spoiler tag below the links. You don't even have to tell them which is which. Enthusiasm for these tests always remains on paper. Very few people actually take them on. May as well let them play around at their leisure.

In my own posts with comparisons on the measurements thread I linked to cheap $15 ear buds and a custom EQ that more or less gets you the Harman curve. This way more people can have the opportunity to better "hear the cartridge" and not their speakers if they use a desktop system.

mglobe

Forum Donor
I’m wrong 70% of the time. Actually if you believe my wife its 100%, but that’s another story. Thank you to the OP for this comparison.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Since i obviously am too old to hear a difference I will buy cartridges based on technical merits and not the name. Luckily the measurement thread and script lets me do that, there is satisfaction in just knowing how the cartridge really performs.

I should of course blame my 20 years old Grado SR125 that were used in the listening:..

Last edited:

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I’m wrong 70% of the time. Actually if you believe my wife its 100%, but that’s another story. Thank you to the OP for this comparison.
Men have only two faults: All they say and all they do.

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here you go. Check out the "can you guess how this sounds?" section.

I added a comparison to a flat cartridge to the measurements of the Sumiko Pearl as it is an extremely colored cartridge.

If you have access to a desktop EQ program such as Equalizer APO and the Peace GUI you can follow Sean Olive's lead and make the $15-$19 JBL Endurance Run 2 earphones near reference quality. There are EQ instructions in that twitter thread.

I think that it would be great for us all to be able to have a way to "hear the same thing." This is a very affordable way to do that, and more, you get an extremely good little set-up. The Sumiko Pearl is the worst cartridge I have ever heard (that is functioning), but then my stereo system is Harman neutral and not everyone has that. In the turntable world people forget that they are often listening more to their speakers and room than cartridges. So, for example, if you have old school B&W speakers that are notorious for their screaming highs, then the Pearl could sound good to you and you could think I'm crazy. But at least with reference headphones there is a better basis for understanding what the cartridges are actually doing even though what matters is the overall system. Plus it's a treat to hear a Shure V15 V-MR recording on them!

EDIT: Attached is the EQ filter for the Peace GUI. Try it out. It's $15 well spent.

Attachments

• JBL Endurance Run 2 Wired.zip
    778 bytes · Views: 20
Last edited:
OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
Does the website align the tracks itself of do you have to manually cut the recordings? If so, is there an easy way to do that? I do it by eye but obviously that is not exact.

Manual, and as the files will just loop, you want to be fairly accurate. Vinyl makes it more of a pain as even on a 'table with great speed stability the two tracks can vary to a degree where discontinuities can be heard when switching. A pop can really show you off as more often that not you'll think you hear an audible difference right after it. I align by zooming in as far as I can on the two tracks in the middle of the selection. After that some nudging may be needed if there are pops when switching.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Manual, and as the files will just loop, you want to be fairly accurate. Vinyl makes it more of a pain as even on a 'table with great speed stability the two tracks can vary to a degree where discontinuities can be heard when switching. A pop can really show you off as more often that not you'll think you hear an audible difference right after it. I align by zooming in as far as I can on the two tracks in the middle of the selection. After that some nudging may be needed if there are pops when switching.
Lots of work! A second thank you.

Top Bottom